BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Winner if your priority is cost, sure. If the cost is critical though have you considered a 500Mbps plan?
I want the fastest possible connection and since latency etc is ultimately going to be the same across all ISP's, I really have no other measure other than cost. I can afford what I'm paying now, I'd just prefer to get the same product for cheaper, with extras like free gift cards etc as sweeteners on top.

The end product is the same between Aquiss and TalkTalk, at roughly the same monthly cost, but TalkTalk comes with some extras on top and without the hassle/cost of sorting my own router. It seems a relatively easy decision.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I want the fastest possible and since latency etc is ultimately going to be the same across all ISP's, I really have no other measure other than cost. I can't afford what I'm paying now, I'd just prefer to get the same product for cheaper, with any other extras like free gift cards etc as sweetners on top.
Depends on what backhaul is used. I went from ~20ms with Zen to ~6ms with Aquiss.

Soldato
Depends on what backhaul is used. I went from ~20ms with Zen to ~6ms with Aquiss.
What's the general consensus on TalkTalk? I'm struggling to find anything from Google other than generic reviews which all say the customer service is abysmal (something I'm not really bothered about as anything will be improvement over BT).

An insight into their infrastructure or a review of performance would be great.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Are we talking about the same YouFibre here? Their in-contract price for 1Gb is £29.99, and the cheapest VoIP service (sufficient if you only receive calls) is £3. £40 for unlimited calls included is a better offer than their website, but if you're only receiving calls then you're bought more than you need.

My mother uses the phone when she visits. Totals about 3 months of the year. She is never off the bloody thing to her UK friends. Typical boomer who doesn't want to adapt. Struggle just to get her on whatsapp. Also her best friend is an American conspiracy theorist who only accepts phone calls through LAN even though ours isn't but she doesn't know that.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What's the general consensus on TalkTalk? I'm struggling to find anything from Google other than generic reviews which all say the customer service is abysmal (something I'm not really bothered about as anything will be improvement over BT).

An insight into their infrastructure or a review of performance would be great.
Their network is great, their CS, and support is not great. No IPv6, they do RPI/CPI.

You'll care about CS when you require it, be it a fault, billing issues, activation issues etc. Fine if it's all plain sailing and no requirement to speak to them, but there will invariably be that point in time when you wish you spent an extra coffee a month in the knowledge that when you need your ISP, they will respond.

Caporegime
Tbh it seems like you want to go with TalkTalk, so give them a try. I have a TalkTalk Business connection at a friend's workplace, it works really well, but the support is awful to the point that doing anything takes a week.

Soldato
@Robi any reason you're not considering vodafone? It's certainly a cheap option on your table, you get a router, wife extender, 4G backup with sim & £115 cashback via TCB.

I've had their fibre since March '22 and it's identical in performance to my previous BT connection.

As for CS, i've had no issue on this connection but when I had a problem with FTTC a few years ago, their CS was quick to help and I was back up and running in a day.

Last edited:
Soldato
Saying FTTP available on checker for products thinking of giving up Virgin and going with someone else next contract.

However I kind of like TV package included who would be best to go with who provide that guessing Sky or BT?

Associate
I want the fastest possible connection and since latency etc is ultimately going to be the same across all ISP's, I really have no other measure other than cost. I can afford what I'm paying now, I'd just prefer to get the same product for cheaper, with extras like free gift cards etc as sweeteners on top.

The end product is the same between Aquiss and TalkTalk, at roughly the same monthly cost, but TalkTalk comes with some extras on top and without the hassle/cost of sorting my own router. It seems a relatively easy decision.

I had the same dilemma yesterday and went with Aquiss in the end, I did enquire about moving to them earlier this year while I was still in contract with VM but having some major connection issues. Their Managing Director replied to my enquiry within 30 minutes and he was both honest and knowledgable.

Having dealt with VMs dismal customer service a lot over the past year, I definitely value being able to contact people that can deal with any issues that may crop up quickly and efficiently.

For what it's worth TalkTalk is a 24 month contract (at least at my address), so you'd be hit with 2 annual price hikes while in contract.

I've heard great things about Aquiss here and elsewhere, take a look at their reviews before making a decision too, they really do speak volumes.

Soldato
Tbh it seems like you want to go with TalkTalk, so give them a try. I have a TalkTalk Business connection at a friend's workplace, it works really well, but the support is awful to the point that doing anything takes a week.
TalkTalk is only appealing because of the cashback, gift card and Eero mesh routers. The CPI increase is off putting but to be fair I would only get hit with a single increase over the term if I signed up today.

If you take into account buying a new AX5400 router for Aquiss which is currently on offer for £95 and increase TalkTalk by 10% for months 9-19 (a rough stab at what the increase will be), TalkTalk still comes in cheaper over 18 months. Aquiss at £920 and TalkTalk £856. This doesn't even take into account the £90 gift card on top. Worth paying the extra premium for exceptional customer service? I don't know.

I honestly sound like a big fan of TalkTalk, I'm not, it just looks more appealing when you crunch the numbers.

@Robi any reason you're not considering vodafone? It's certainly a cheap option on your table, you get a router, wife extender, 4G backup with sim & £115 cashback via TCB.

I've had their fibre since March '22 and it's identical in performance to my previous BT connection.

As for CS, i've had no issue on this connection but when I had a problem with FTTC a few years ago, their CS was quick to help and I was back up and running in a day.
I'm only excluding Vodafone as it's a 24 month contract.

I had the same dilemma yesterday and went with Aquiss in the end, I did enquire about moving to them earlier this year while I was still in contract with VM but having some major connection issues. Their Managing Director replied to my enquiry within 30 minutes and he was both honest and knowledgable.

Having dealt with VMs dismal customer service a lot over the past year, I definitely value being able to contact people that can deal with any issues that may crop up quickly and efficiently.

For what it's worth TalkTalk is a 24 month contract (at least at my address), so you'd be hit with 2 annual price hikes while in contract.

I've heard great things about Aquiss here and elsewhere, take a look at their reviews before making a decision too, they really do speak volumes.
I ran the availablity checker late last night and already had two responses, one of which is from the MD. I can see why people keep talking about their customer service being top notch.

TalkTalk is 18 months if you go through TCB/Quidco.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, fair enough, hadn't realised you'd wanted a shorter contract, apologies if you'd said it and I missed it.
To be fair I completely forgot to mention it!

I'm only really against 24 month contracts because those that offer them all hit you with annual increases. If Aquiss offered 24 months at an even more reduced rate I definitely would consider it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd not mind 24 month contracts if the price remained the same as well, it's a huge con with the annual increases.

Seems BT are rebranding and moving to EE as their consumer arm. BT mobile is ending, and BT Shop was renamed to EE Shop for example.

When it comes to fibre though, EE seem one of the most expensive ones. New customer on BT is £41 /pcm for 900mbps, on EE they seemed to want £61/pcm!

Associate
The BT Wholesale database was finally updated today after 7 weeks on the 330 mbps service. Aquiss have said I'd have to forfeit the remainder of my 6 month discount if I opt for the higher speed package, understandable but a shame. I've decided to stay on the lower speed package for the time being.

Associate
I’ve been with TalkTalk FTTP for a little over a year and no real complaints with the service. I did, however, only really choose them because of the £100 gift card + £150 cash back offers at the time….both of which I still have not received

Soldato
Seems nice now, but buying your own router means when you switch providers in the future you just change login details and carry on. No need to faff about setting up another restricted ISP supplied router :)

I'm not really sure that is a particularly strong selling point. Swapping an ISP supplied router doesn't really go any further than plugging it in and changing the WiFi SSID and password to whatever the old one was so all your devices automatically connect. It's basically 1 less than 60 second additional step you might do once every 2 years (counting for changing the SSID and password being equivalent to changing the PPOE details for the new provider).

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not really sure that is a particularly strong selling point. Swapping an ISP supplied router doesn't really go any further than plugging it in and changing the WiFi SSID and password to whatever the old one was so all your devices automatically connect. It's basically 1 less than 60 second additional step you might do once every 2 years (counting for changing the SSID and password being equivalent to changing the PPOE details for the new provider).

Depends how bad the router is which the ISP supplies... Sky for example provide a shocking router which nobody should have to use

Back
Top Bottom