• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Soldato
The image on the right is quite a lot softer and less sharp, I'd have liked it if they showed quality mode instead of performance

AMD showing the performance that can be achieved rather than quality since the Frame Generation is the focus. No doubt FSR3 Quality mode is what most people would be running and it would get around 100fps instead of the 175fps shown in the video. I personally never use Performance mode in any circumstance unless it is absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD showing the performance that can be achieved rather than quality since the Frame Generation is the focus. No doubt FSR3 Quality mode is what most people would be running and it would get around 100fps instead of the 175fps shown in the video. I personally never use Performance mode in any circumstance unless it is absolutely necessary.

Fair enough, and Nvidia do the same thing - whenever they show frame generation it's in performance mode and I don't really like it either, as you say it's unrealistic, people with these GPUs won't be using performance mode

I look forward to a fsr3 vs 2 comparison with both in quality mode at 4k, that's what I'm personally most interested in, to see if fsr3 has improved image quality compared to fsr2

Last edited:
Soldato
Frame Gen is more important than upscaling because you're just doubling frame rates at native resolution.

Most people wont give a hoot about the input latency unless they are playing fast pace shooters, it diminishes the advantage Nvidia have in part with DLSS, given also that if it works with games that don't even have it, if it just works on your entire game catalogue that puts a huge great torpedo hole in DLSS.

I didn't think of it like that but if you can use frame gen without having to use the FSR2 upscaler at driver level then it is a masterstroke by AMD. Nvidia will be forced to provide something similar otherwise every game released will be running better on the 7000 series AMD cards.
I know AMD is all about open source but Nvidia will probably just copy the useful bits and enable FG at driver level on their own cards too. They may even copy the whole algorithm if FSR3 outputs a more stable result judging by the lack of any artifacts in the Forspoken video.

Caporegime
OxaYOjx.jpg

Soldato
These images tell us nothing, you have to do comparisons with video in motion not still images. FSR has always being good at looking stable in still images, but start turning the camera and it breaks down
Even DLSS3 FG artifacts and looks terrible when moving the camera around fast so I’d be surprised if AMDs version is any better.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's a good they announced this early, if gives time for the hardcore Nvidia fans to find their next excuse to justify their cards lol.
Doesn't really matter thought does it :p Higher end RTX cards running games still faster than AMD using AMD's on FG tech :p

Although at over 100fps, who even cares any more!

Soldato

AMD confirmed FSR3 will work on Radeon RX 7000, 6000 and older GPUs. He also confirmed FSR will be supported by other GPU vendors, and consoles. AMD provided the following chart explaining which cards can support and which GPUs are recommended.

Do note, this does not mean FSR3 will not work with other and slower GPUs, it is simply not recommended and optimized. Furthermore, models such as GTX 10 and lower will also support FSR3 upscaling, but not the frame generation technology.

While AMD has officially confirmed that FSR is coming soon, unfortunately, they have not yet provided a specific release date, apart from saying it will launch this fall.

and this.

https://youtu.be/MgdWjcl318U?t=1150 set at 19 min mark for the fsr3 stuff.

Good news for GTX 10 series owners, they seemed to be left out throughout this whole upscaling technology since it was announced.

Now there's hope.

Soldato
Good news for GTX 10 series owners, they seemed to be left out throughout this whole upscaling technology since it was announced.

Now there's hope.

Unfortunately for gtx1000 series owners, enabling fsr3 may decrease performance not increase it as stated by amd, users will need to test it themselves on a case by case basis

Last edited:
Soldato
As for when FSR's Fluid Motion, aka Frame Generation is coming - I see videocardz is reporting the ETA as between January and March 2024

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately for gtx1000 series owners, enabling fsr3 may decrease performance not increase it as stated by amd, users will need to test it themselves on a case by case basis

Even with Upscaling only without frame gen? Might have read that wrong on the other slide.

Last edited:
Associate
Really looking forward to how this pans out.
If FSR3 frame generation gets anywhere close to DLSS and they can also lower latency, then it's good for RTX 20/30 series owners.

Soldato
Eurogamer has done a write up with way more details than we've heard so far. Some interesting bits:

* FSR3 with frame generation needs to have Vsync on, it doesn't work if you use VRR. Due the game demo's framerates not matching the screen's refresh rate, the demos shown by AMD today all had lots of screen tearing

* UI game huds are very stable

* FSR3 uses the GPUs Async Compute abilities so FSR3's performance depends on how much Async compute performance your GPU has. If your GPU isn't good at Async compute FSR3 May not actually boost framerate. FSR3's performance also varies between games because games that use Async themselves means that less resources are available for FSR3 to run, and games that don't use Async compute features will gain more performance from FSR3

* AMD is promising frame generation at the driver level in an update coming next year. This feature generates extra frames without using game motion vector data by interpolating one new frame based on the data from the previous and new frame - it's similar to how strobing works. AMD showed of Last of Us using this frame generation- DF noted that the image quality is significantly lower and more course compared to the two games that use motion vectors. So while this feature will allow users to boost performance in all DX11 and DX12 games, it does significantly lower image quality, where as games that have built FSR3 support provides motion vector data to the GPU and has much better image quality

* AMD was not very keen to discuss latency when DF asked about it; though now that we know FSR3 requires vsync to work, I can understand why because playing games with Vsync is going to have much higher latency than playing with VRR/Freesync/Gsync

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
* AMD is promising frame generation at the driver level in an update coming next year.

Hopefully game level implementation happens this year with Starfield, I'd love to see AMD and Nvidia become highly competitive with frame gen tech and see both really polish their game level implementations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom