• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Soldato

AMD confirmed FSR3 will work on Radeon RX 7000, 6000 and older GPUs. He also confirmed FSR will be supported by other GPU vendors, and consoles. AMD provided the following chart explaining which cards can support and which GPUs are recommended.

Do note, this does not mean FSR3 will not work with other and slower GPUs, it is simply not recommended and optimized. Furthermore, models such as GTX 10 and lower will also support FSR3 upscaling, but not the frame generation technology.

While AMD has officially confirmed that FSR is coming soon, unfortunately, they have not yet provided a specific release date, apart from saying it will launch this fall.

and this.

https://youtu.be/MgdWjcl318U?t=1150 set at 19 min mark for the fsr3 stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
fluid motion tech i.e frame gen in almost any dx 11 and 12 games through the drivers which is a big thing cos amd says nvidia frame gen has to be a game by game basis stuff. So thats a big thing and if open source some upscaler app like that magic thing on steam i think might be able to let nviida users use it too one day.

https://youtu.be/MgdWjcl318U?t=1647 at 27:27 mark

Associate
fluid motion tech i.e frame gen in almost any dx 11 and 12 games through the drivers which is a big thing cos amd says nvidia frame gen has to be a game by game basis stuff. So thats a big thing and if open source some upscaler app like that magic thing on steam i think might be able to let nviida users use it too one day.

Well, there's two related, but different technologies here - FSR3 frame gen has to be implemented on a game-by-game basis but benefits from tighter integration with the engine and will result in better image quality. The driver-level frame gen will work much like the driver-level FSR works at the moment - it only has 2D info to work with so the generated frames will be inferior.

Also, in both cases, AMD has recommended a 60fps starting point - this is for getting 60 fps games to 120, not getting 30 fps games to 60.

"This is using optical flow only. No motion vector input from FSR 2 means that the best AFMF can do is interpolate a new frame between two standard rendered frames similar to the way a TV does it - albeit with far less latency. The generated frames will be 'coarser' without the motion vector data but the effectiveness of those frames will scale according to content and the base frame-rate."

Last edited:
Soldato
Top banana news, will have a look at the Digital Foundry coverage

Sounding pretty, pretty good. Maybe I'll be hanging on to my 3090 for ages....

"In terms of fluidity and clarity, FSR 3 looked a match for DLSS 3 - a view shared by Alex, Rich and John, who were all present to see the demos in person. A great start for FSR 3."

Last edited:
Soldato

That's huge news.

Edit: the driver level one is only RDNA 3 though.

Last edited:
Soldato

"In terms of fluidity and clarity, FSR 3 looked a match for DLSS 3 - a view shared by Alex, Rich and John, who were all present to see the demos in person. A great start for FSR 3."

Wow and if it works on older AMD, Nvidia and Intel Arc GPUs then that would be amazing. I wonder how Nvidia will respond.

Last edited:
Associate

It's a good they announced this early, if gives time for the hardcore Nvidia fans to find their next excuse to justify their cards lol.

Associate
It's a good they announced this early, if gives time for the hardcore Nvidia fans to find their next excuse to justify their cards lol.
You’re assuming the AMD options will be as good as the Nvidia ones, but that typically isn’t the case.

It’s all warm and fuzzy that it works for everyone, but that means that there will have been compromises.

Associate
You’re assuming the AMD options will be as good as the Nvidia ones, but that typically isn’t the case.

It’s all warm and fuzzy that it works for everyone, but that means that there will have been compromises.
My prediction:

• FSR3 frame-gen with Anti-Lag+ on RDNA3* GPUs will be broadly comparable with DLSS3 (I'd expect slightly worse latency).
  • FSR3 frame-gen on Intel and Nvidia (especially low/mid-range cards) will look ok, but have terrible latency.
  • HYPR-RX (driver-level frame gen & upscaling) will look horrible and only be used as an absolute last resort.

"AMD was a little guarded when they showed us the TLOUp1 demo, because it was early and an optical flow-only solution will not match the quality of FSR 3 or DLSS 3 in most content. This is a tech with obvious limitations."

*not sure if RDNA2 will support Anti-Lag+..?

Last edited:
Soldato
For AMD to be the only one of 3 companies without a hardware-upscale solution is just plain embarrassing now, made worse by the fact that their latest hardware is CAPABLE of it!!! Shoddy at best :rage:

I get its annoying having the tech there and not being used but if FSR 3 turns out to be as good as DLSS which the DF guys seem to think it is then ultimately does it really matter? I'd say it's more embarrassing for Nvidia who said frame gen couldn't be done on cards below the 4000 series

Caporegime
I get its annoying having the tech there and not being used but if FSR 3 turns out to be as good as DLSS which the DF guys seem to think it is then ultimately does it really matter? I'd say it's more embarrassing for Nvidia who said frame gen couldn't be done on cards below the 4000 series
FSR3 is suspected to still be based on FSR2 but with the additional frame generation features. It's not good enough imo.

Caporegime

Lets wait and see how FSR 3 looks outside of the sponsored titles first before starting with the "dlss killer" hype again..... FSR 2 is still not a patch on dlss outside of a couple of hand picked games i.e. remember the claims of zero ghosting with deathloop? Only to end up with ghosting in most games where FSR is used (and more than dlss, which got lambasted for it's initial ghosting issues)

From the initial reports, it does sound to be of to a more promising start than FSR 1 and 2 though.

There is also this from reddit:

Firstly Antilag+ is only for rdna3 users. Antilag is for rdna2 users. Non AMD cards will get sth but presumably worse?

So you will have very different experiences based on where you turn it on.

It doesn't look to work independently off sr. You need fsr to be on to allow frame gen. Fsr2 works separately.

Rx 6000 and rtx 30 and above are recommended.

It is supported on 5000 and rtx 20 but in the blog post they say not to use it there.

So for the best experience you are gonna need rdna3 cards with antilag+

Antilag doesnt reduce latency significantly. So rdna2 and below has some question marks.

Hoping it is good as will be nice to have a "free" upgrade ;) :p Won't be surprised if I end up turning it off and never using it due to it lagging behind.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lets wait and see how FSR 3 looks outside of the sponsored titles first before starting with the "dlss killer" hype again..... FSR 2 is still not a patch on dlss outside of a couple of hand picked games i.e. remember the claims of zero ghosting with deathloop? Only to end up with ghosting in most games where FSR is used (and more than dlss, which got lambasted for it's initial ghosting issues)
I'm hoping at the very least that they have a continuous update feature like the newer DLSS implementation does so games aren't 'stuck' on a lower one forever. No hardware solution though.....very disappointed.

Last edited:
Associate
As @JediFragger mentioned, AMD hasn't confirmed that upscaling has changed from FSR 2.2 (apart from the new FSR 'native AA' mode) - all DF were commenting on was the new frame generation tech (in a very controlled, hands-off demo).

I do wonder if FSR3 gets close to the image quality of DLSS3 if Nvidia will enable DLSS3 for Ampere cards - they've mentioned before that it does work on them but they felt the latency penalty was too great to make it useful (I'm still sceptical about that) - if they can offer a better frame-gen experience for Ampere users than AMD is able to that's an easy PR 'win'.

Caporegime
As @JediFragger mentioned, AMD hasn't confirmed that upscaling has changed from FSR 2.2 (apart from the new FSR 'native AA' mode) - all DF were commenting on was the new frame generation tech (in a very controlled, hands-off demo).
Yup, there's still a small chance they'll branch off with RDNA3 with hardware which is what I'm hoping for tbh.

Back
Top Bottom