• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Associate
Cause if you toggle it on and off in games you can feel the extra latency when it's on and it sucks. Even using an Xbox controller you can feel the extra latency

I never use vsync because of that, I only use Gsync with a frame rate limit in the driver
By the way, you can use vsync in NVIDIA drivers and it works better than frame limiter but also does the same thing frame limiter does by keeping max fps below refresh limit of the monitor (167 in case of my oled instead of its 175). And it works fully with frame generation and other Nvidia tech.

Last edited:
Associate
Not 100% sure on amds freesync settings but vsync is recommended to be turned on in the nvidia control panel for gsync along with a fps limit 3-4 fps below your screen refresh rate so as to stop the traditional vsync kicking in, there is no latency associated this way, however, if you are hitting the refresh rate of your screen i.e. 144hz and exceeding fps here then you will get the latency hit from the traditional vsync method.

This is where all the main latency issues came from when dlss 3/FG was released as the fps was far exceeding the refresh rate of the display thus you weren't just getting the increased latency from frame generation but more so from vsync, only DF picked up on this, which meant all the others testing/reports were flawed:

dJIVIji.png

One other thing which is required with frame generation on nvidia is that there should be no FPS limit when using frame generation along with reflex (apparently no fps limit should be set with reflex turned on even when not using frame generation), reflex acts as the fps limiter or so people are reporting on the likes of reddit anyway.....
There's no need to use frame limiter if you use Nvidia vsync in control panel. It limits frames by default below refresh rate of panel - mine stops at 167 on 175Hz panel. 0 issues in any game I've tried and works with dlss3 fg.

Soldato
There's no need to use frame limiter if you use Nvidia vsync in control panel. It limits frames by default below refresh rate of panel - mine stops at 167 on 175Hz panel. 0 issues in any game I've tried and works with dlss3 fg.

Vsync on in the Nvidia Control panel categorically does not limit fps below the refresh rate of your screen. You've got something else going on there bud...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Vsync on in the Nvidia Control panel categorically does not limit fps below the refresh rate of your screen. You've got something else going on there bud...

Yup I tried that before with just vsync on in the nvcp and notice my fps way above 175hz.

Anyway, as per blurbusters etc. the recommendation is still to use a fps cap either via NVCP or rivatuner (rivatuner uses a fair bit more cpu than NVCP due to how it applies the fps cap)

Soldato
Enabling v sync in game or limiting the frame rate via MSI Afterburner adds a huge input lag, at least in CB77, with FG activated. Not sure why you'd do that...

Last edited:
Associate
Nope, it definitely does. :) I turn it off, it goes to 175Hz with in-game vsync. I turn it on, it stops at 167 and works with DLSS 3 FG without additional latency (unlike normal frame limiter or vsync in game).

Associate
Yup I tried that before with just vsync on in the nvcp and notice my fps way above 175hz.

Anyway, as per blurbusters etc. the recommendation is still to use a fps cap either via NVCP or rivatuner (rivatuner uses a fair bit more cpu than NVCP due to how it applies the fps cap)
That wouldn't happen in any game I tested, so might be a conflict with some other software you have installed? Also, don't forget to turn off vsync in game when you turn it on in NVCP. Mind you, I am testing this on 4090, it's possible it behaves differently on older gens.

Caporegime
Nope, it definitely does. :) I turn it off, it goes to 175Hz with in-game vsync. I turn it on, it stops at 167 and works with DLSS 3 FG without additional latency (unlike normal frame limiter or vsync in game).

Do you have reflex or low latency turned on?

Tried it out on mine again there, fps definitely going over my screen refresh rate.

Associate
Do you have reflex or low latency turned on?

Tried it out on mine again there, fps definitely going over my screen refresh rate.
Yes, low latency on Ultra. If I recall correctly, that's necessary for the frame limit in vsync to work properly - I totally forgot about it. Sorry about that! It even says in NVCP "In addition, this mode minimises vsync latency when both vsync and g-sync are enabled.". It worked just as well on g-sync compatible monitor as it works on current full g-sync oled for me, so that should work fine on most (if not all) VRR monitors.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes, low latency on Ultra. If I recall correctly, that's necessary for the frame limit in vsync to work properly - I totally forgot about it. :)

That will be why then.

I found low latency hit and miss, in some games, I found it to cause stutter.

Also, not 100% sure but if you're using frame generation, iirc should it not only be reflex turned on?

Associate
That will be why then.

I found low latency hit and miss, in some games, I found it to cause stutter.

Also, not 100% sure but if you're using frame generation, iirc should it not only be reflex turned on?
I have never had any stutter with this on, neither on 4090 now nor earlier on 3080 Ti - worked fine on both, as far as I recall, in all games I've tested it on. Might be, they fixed it over time?

If you use FG but do not turn this on together with vsync in NVCP, you will either get horrible latency with vsync or standard frame limiter, or screen tearing when it goes above refresh rate of the monitor. Initially, this didn't work with FG but then NVIDIA fixed it and for many months now it seems to be working just fine. Question with the topic in mind is - will it work with FSR 3? AMD won't have any motivation to fix it if it doesn't, I reckon.

Last edited:
Associate
Regarding the latency using FG on Nvidia, is it the case that the latency should be whatever the native rendering is running at i.e. not tied to the reported FPS as would be the case with it disabled (or with a small additional penalty)? And then when v-sync is enabled without an FPS limit below the refresh rate, additional latency is incurred when the FG FPS hits the v-sync limit?

Associate
Regarding the latency using FG on Nvidia, is it the case that the latency should be whatever the native rendering is running at i.e. not tied to the reported FPS as would be the case with it disabled (or with a small additional penalty)? And then when v-sync is enabled without an FPS limit below the refresh rate, additional latency is incurred when the FG FPS hits the v-sync limit?
No, latency with FG is considerably higher because GPU needs to calculate 2 frames before it can then generate a frame in between and then it displays them all one by one. Effect is higher FPS (ergo, fluidity of the image) but also higher latency as you can't overcome waiting 2 frames, even with reflex enabled. Hence, for it to feel good you need a high enough input FPS already, so the latency per frame is low enough that adding more latency from FG operation won't really feel too bad. AMD claims 60FPS is that comfy minimum. If you also add vsync to the mix, latency is way higher still - unless it's the native one in drivers, with g-sync, as that seems to be working very well.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Tho its missing that other new thing where fsr isnt using upscale but the other stuff to make aa like nvidia does with their new aa thing.

Temporal Anti Aliasing (TAA) or 'upscaling' (TSR) is basically the cheat behind FSR and DLSS.

Its.... (tho this is oversimplified and there is a bit more to it) Why not use Temporal Upscaling meant for reducing resolution scanlines as a way to render a lower resolution image to increase performance and then pass Temporal AA over it before upscaling back to native resolution, we can sell it as software feature rather than it just be an AA solution.

And now its just going back to being an AA solution, marketed again as a must have feature.

Do you see why i'm really cynical about this crap?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Any idea if FSR3 will work with VR? I know frame generation does not.

Nope.... because its not real, every other frame is a painting, or a photograph, this apposed to the real world that you can touch and interact with, and because the frame is 'fake' it adds that frame of latency, and that ###### with your mind in 3D, its like 2D in 3D, trippy.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom