***The Official Starfield Thread*** (As endorsed by TNA)

Man of Honour
45 minutes in. Going to give it a few hours to reserve judgement. But man alive mouse scroll wheel key binding annoying the hell out of me. Why is it not weapon select. Instead it changes camera view lol. I keep trying to cycle a weapon and end up zooming in and out of 3rd person. :p

Just like every previous Bethesda game?

My new annoyance is that outposts don't have infinite storage capacity, like F4. I just moved all my resources to my outpost, and there was about 3000 of it. It took a LOT of storing.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OK, so had a go for another hour. Did an activity plus explored a random outpost. That want to keep playing feeling is definitely gone.

This usually happens to me once I complete a game. That is why I tend to make sure I do as much as I can while enjoying and before completing a game.

I had a feeling it may happen in this game too which is why I did all the faction side quests first.

This is also where the game has failed too. Exploring feels a bit pointless after a while even though I probably have not even visited half the solar systems yet. You come across the exact same outposts all the time. Happened to me again earlier. Just with higher level enemies. Kills the emersion and makes you feel like you are wasting your time.

The game needed more unique stuff and less copy paste.

Hopefully mods will sort it all out for my next playthough :)

Soldato
This is also where the game has failed too. Exploring feels a bit pointless after a while even though I probably have not even visited half the solar systems yet. You come across the exact same outposts all the time. Happened to me again earlier. Just with higher level enemies. Kills the emersion and makes you feel like you are wasting your time.
Yep, I'm finding this. First 25 hours or so of main missions and some exploration, Universe seemed to have huge potential. But bar some fun ship building, I've just got a bit bored with it this week. Go pick up some more powers, shoot the guaranteed enemy spawn, go explore, walk around the exact same facility you've already been around on another planet... I was expecting with all the talk of procedural generation, there might be some actual variation in the layouts, but seems not?!
Might give it a break until the weekend and then crack back on with the main storyline and skip exploration for a bit. I've not found a spacesuit that's an upgrade for about 20 hours now, and most loot is just junk that I cba to even pick up to go sell. I've got a tonne of money and very little to do with it.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Just like every previous Bethesda game?

My new annoyance is that outposts don't have infinite storage capacity, like F4. I just moved all my resources to my outpost, and there was about 3000 of it. It took a LOT of storing.
I don't know.

Seems very counter intuitive. First game I've come across where the scroll wheel isn't for the weapon select. Very odd.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yep, I'm finding this. First 25 hours or so of main missions and some exploration, Universe seemed to have huge potential. But bar some fun ship building, I've just got a bit bored with it this week. Go pick up some more powers, shoot the guaranteed enemy spawn, go explore, walk around the exact same facility you've already been around on another planet... I was expecting with all the talk of procedural generation, there might be some actual variation in the layouts, but seems not?!
Might give it a break until the weekend and then crack back on with the main storyline and skip exploration for a bit. I've not found a spacesuit that's an upgrade for about 20 hours now, and most loot is just junk that I cba to even pick up to go sell. I've got a tonne of money and very little to do with it.

That happened to me also. I eventually started finding stuff that were upgrades.

The more you play, the more the issues start to pop out. It is surprising due to the budget mainly. All that money they should have done a bit better.

Mods to the rescue I suppose? :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I just had a look and have 37 out of the 50 achievements. Seems I have done all the story stuff as only ones remaining are Land on 100 planets or gather 5000 organic resources etc.

Probably about 3 there I will eventually unlock. But the rest unless the dlc's and mods are good I doubt I will. They would all be easy to do if I wanted though. But outposts, who can be asked now that the game is finished? They need to find a reason for me to do it. There is no reason, why the **** is it even there? Lol. Bit like the contraband stuff mentioned before.

Anyway. Time to get stuck into Phantom Liberty! :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
I just had a look and have 37 out of the 50 achievements. Seems I have done all the story stuff as only ones remaining are Land on 100 planets or gather 5000 organic resources etc.

Probably about 3 there I will eventually unlock. But the rest unless the dlc's and mods are good I doubt I will. They would all be easy to do if I wanted though. But outposts, who can be asked now that the game is finished? They need to find a reason for me to do it. There is no reason, why the **** is it even there? Lol. Bit like the contraband stuff mentioned before.

Anyway. Time to get stuck into Phantom Liberty! :D
I may have been naughty and gone balls deep into PL and put Starfield on hold, sorry not sorry, but it is sick!

Caporegime
I'm slightly surprised to be actually loving this. The usual things about Bethesda (or maybe just computer RPGs cargo-cult version of actual RPGs) are annoying me, but the immersion is drawing me in, the absolutely jaw dropping incredible graphics are so damn cool, and I just want to find out where it goes. Whether I'll be able to stomach random-NPC-5 dropping generic-fetch-quest-104 in thirty hours time I don't know but whether it satisfies my tastes or not, there's no doubting the incredible depth and spread of this.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Well it was alright while it lasted. Uninstalled earlier. 65GB of mods deleted. Whew.

It joins the handful of games in the slowly growing custom library :p

y1DeWOt.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Another one I knocked up, I started a new game (NG+) so needed a new ship.

Added a little more cargo then before although not tons, this one only uses class A engines so you get a slightly higher top speed.

ship.png

Reactions: TNA
Associate
Gone on a bit of a pirate ship board mission / focusing on upgrading piloting / ship building skills so I can get a class C ship or something. I got the Galileo III, pretty good class A. I saved the game in case it didn't work out.

Btw I'm on game+ mode so do have the funky ship, but you can't customise it.

I really don't like ladders and layout of most ships but I'm still learning about ship building from scratch. If the ship build has an issue you can't save progress until you fix it all? It's a bit of a nightmare and I may lose interest.

Last edited:
Associate
Another one I knocked up, I started a new game (NG+) so needed a new ship.

Added a little more cargo then before although not tons, this one only uses class A engines so you get a slightly higher top speed.
Nice one!

I decided not to go with NG+ so I'm currently flying around tying up a few loose ends and exploring some of the content I largely ignored during my playthrough (like outposts).

My current ship is the Discovery (the Frontier's sister-ship) which I stumbled across and uh... nicked :D I've decked her out for cargo (around 4000 tons) but she still has a mass of <1200 so she doesn't look too different to her default configuration - just an extra pair of landing legs really.

Untitled.png

Associate
Ship boxes, windows shine textures are pixelated. This game should have ray tracing, it would look great for ship interiors. NPCs and overall graphics are stuck in the 2011 era.

I assume the community will fix all this with mods.

Ship building is erm not fun. I miss the days when you had an actual manual with a game to tell you what to do.

Did I mention I hate ladders? :) Whatever tech is being used to beam ship parts into my cargo hold, please use the same tech to beam me up/down a ship level cheers.

Soldato
The main issue I've struggled with with shipbuilding is getting parts to snap to the right place when there are two points close to each other.

For instance, I swapped out the hab on my ship for a longer one, but then I couldn't get the landing gears to snap to the right bit of the hull. There was a snap point for the top hab and the bottom hab, but it would only every snap to the lower one, which meant it was out of whack.

I just had to scrap that design in the end. Then I had the same problem with cargo containers - they'd only snap to one of the two points, but not the one I wanted. The only way I could solve that was to attach a smaller container to the point I didn't want it attached to, then get the one I wanted snapped where I wanted and then remove and delete the smaller one.

Such a faff.

Is there a method I'm missing to make the parts snap to adjacent points when they just don't want to?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm just grinding mission boards to get that Narwal, I pretty much win every pirate ship battle in my Galileo III (with added cargo hold, take that ship builders). Destroying ships is so much faster than levelling with killing on planet missions. You also get exploration bonuses, possible extra fights along the way with credits if ask for them after joining in a skirmish.

Fill up my ship with crap, give Sarah half, fast travel to The Lodge, dump in the workbench room, add to the huge pile of rocks and adaptive frames. Off we go killing more pirate ships.

btw I don't think I've fired any missiles yet as I don't think have that key bound :)

Last edited:
Soldato
So, first off, put this in the wrong thread so here it is again in the proper one and not the Mods and Tweaks one !

I finally decided to do that Mantis Quest yesterday evening after seen it mentioned here a couple of times. I put it in spoilers though, just to be on the safe side and not upset anyone that might not done it yet !

Was quiet a fun one but have to admit I had to 'cheat' a bit because the 'Additional Quest' to find out more about the Mantis stuff didn't complete once I done all and found the ship. So googled and found out one had to find two automated messages and I only had found one, finally did find the second though, behind a open door ! No wonder I missed it, cheeky devs ! :p

But doing that google search I found out more about that Mantis suite and realized it was randomized so me being the curious person I am I thought I reload and check a couple times. This is the first drop I got:

ve7AZSz.jpg

Which isn't too bad but then I got this one and was, yup keeping this ! :p That Mantis Boostpack might be with me for the rest of the game, unless find a better one with that stat - Assisted Carry: Drain 75% less O2 when running while encumbered. - With the +40 my carry weight was around 225, I picked up some more heavy stuff and had a total carry weight of 340 or so, and could still run around with the oxygen level barely moving, it did a bit but not as fast as normally !

FcOVasQ.jpg

I did make another save with that suite but did try a couple more time and nothing remotely as attractive as the above but did get one that had two with the ** Resources Hauler: Resources weight 25% less ** and thought, wow, wonder if it stacks but.. nope it don't !

Would love to see others Mantis sets if you still have access to them ?

Back
Top Bottom