• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Soldato
So then amd customers/fans.... Thoughts on fake frames now? ;) :p :D
No thanks. Native all the way ;) If the hardware is good enough for your resolution you're fine. If not buy better hardware or drop your resolution. If you have a low end GPU on 1080p and it allows you to play fair enough. If you have a 4090 and are using it you're doing something wrong :cry:

Soldato
So then amd customers/fans.... Thoughts on fake frames now? ;) :p :D

Yup pretty much Although it may actually be beneficial if your base fps is already high and you're on a high refresh rate display.

More interested in the Native AA mode. If that gives a better image with little hit to fps then it's something i might use. For now i should be ok without FG in the games i play. At least it's there as an option and a tick box. If it comes into any games i play i will give it a shot to give real feedback as i can't feel how it plays from video's and there is no latency tests out yet. Latency is my main concern as a lot of games i play are high pace.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think FSR3 did much to improve the foliage and grass, frame generation on or off. It's still fairly aliased compared to DLSS. On a 3080 at least, FG does work in nudging 60fps to 90fps at 4k (at lower resolutions and settings it scales higher). If I dial up the settings and res and get about 40-50fps without FG, turning it on boosts the frame rate but it's weirdly stuttery.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So yeah, the background foliage and stuff is fine with FSR3 FG enabled, it's stuff closer to you where you can scrutinise temporal instability, it's like the other end of DLSS + Frame Gen.

Look where the water meets the soil and the tall grass right next to it.

FSR3 Quality + FG:
82jUs1c.gif

Native:
Hj65pXR.gif

These are 100% crops from 3440x1440 for reference. All things considered, it's not a major deal breaker and you have to be looking for it to see it.

Soldato
So yeah, the background foliage and stuff is fine with FSR3 FG enabled, it's stuff closer to you where you can scrutinise temporal instability, it's like the other end of DLSS + Frame Gen.

FSR3 Quality + FG:
82jUs1c.gif

Native:
Hj65pXR.gif

These are 100% crops from 3440x1440 for reference. All things considered, it's not a major deal breaker and you have to be looking for it to see it.
It's the old question, "Can you see it or are you looking for it?" ;)

Soldato
Tested it for a bit, it looks like they did a good job with it. Have seen no real downsides so far, but it does feel like you need it for >100 fps rather than anything lower because the difference at 80-90 fps (with it on) vs locked at 120 (my display cap) was significant. Heck, it felt like temporal stability is even better with it on than just FSR, so that's another plus.

For me the real test will be Cyberpunk, because I know it inside-out, as well as vs all other solutions. Will reserve final judgement for then. Forspoken I simply haven't played outside of demo testing tbh so who knows what the overall picture is.

I hope they also push it for consoles, it would be a huge deal for them and I think there's room to do it. So far FSR 3 is a universal win.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'm not using any fps caps btw, the game's video tab has a setting to set an fps cap, there is no off option, it goes from 30fps to 240fps :p

Caporegime

FSR3 Quality + FG:
82jUs1c.gif

Native:
Hj65pXR.gif

High res screenshots would be better, these gifs are too small to see anything.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
High res screenshots would be better, these gifs are too small to see anything.

Not sure if that's a in-joke but I'm having fried bread dunked in tea and therefore I bid you adieu!

Edit*
Also if you can't see any issues at the 100% crops then it doesn't need anything "high res" being shown, 100% is 100% :p

Last edited:
Associate
I think you're just being obtuse for the sake of it here....

There are 2 possible sides to the story here and either one isn't unlikely until testing or/and amd confirm why this is the case.

If Nvidia allow all upscaling and even no upscaling to be used with their frame gen then why can't amds? Are they again deciding what is best for their customers even though it has been shown time and time again, their solutions are not what's best for "all" customers. If it's because it 100% relies on the upscaling side of fsr or/and natives method of motion vectors then that is fine but if not... Well let's just say amd got called out by all the tech press (and before you say Nvidia shills, better tweet and call out gamer nexus and hub) for their "potential" dodgy behaviour surrounding their amd sponsored titles and lack of competitors upscaling and the same will happen again if this is the case....
Best to wait and gather your evidence before making claims.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If it needs to be in motion make a video, they are 460 X 300, the only way to play them at not thumbnail size is to download them and then they are a pixilated mess.

They are 100% crops, what part of that is difficult to understand lol. All I did was crop only that area where I could see a difference after looking for them, and exported that area was a high quality GIF. Don't need a video for that, you would be simply viewing the exact same section area just on a full screen video.

The GIFs I posted work perfectly to demonstrate the temporal instability, and that it's a non-issue. Nothing else needs to be done.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think some people just want to see it "OMG there's a slight shimmer on a blade of grass 5 miles away AMD FAILED".

Well no, shimmering in certain games is extremely distracting especially if you're sensitive to it e.g. Spiderman smaa Vs dlss (I did this video because people kept banging on about how we just need to use better aa methods rather than rely on dlss/dlaa and supposedly smaa was regarded as being the best but from a temporal stability pov, not in the slightest does it help overall iq in motion).

The more people point out the issues, the sooner said companies will be to act and improve their solutions otherwise if everyone says it's great (even if proven otherwise....) then it will never improve... And this goes for all companies and their solutions but sadly it seems amd fans are happy to settle for "just good enough" and wait months/years for competing solutions rather than pushing amd to improve.

So far fsr 3 sounds/looks great but that doesn't mean there might not be room for improvement, same with nvidias frame gen as it's not perfect either and again, the real story will be when it comes to games outside of the initial pr showcases e.g. deahtloop Vs fsr 2 out in the wild, something which a lot seem to have forgotten about....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom