• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Associate
Running an 7800xt
Just did a quick dirty test in cyberpunk.

Standing in one spot all graphics on ultra no ray tracing 90fps

Same spot with the frame gen active 180fps

Adding in game fsr2 brings it north of 200.

Using amd adrenaline overlay the frame gen lag is showing around 15ms, i don't know if that's good of bad but personally i cant tell any difference.

Caporegime
It's pretty incredible that amd have managed to do this with very little latency hit! Hopefully YouTubers call out Nvidia for why they couldn't have done this without needing the optical flow accelerator

Associate
Another quick test starfield.

All ultra standing Infront of the mast building gone from 65fps to above 135fps.

Frame gen lag is hovering between 20-25 and moving can drop the fps down to 80 for a split second which is noticeable.

There's also some shimmer/ flickering on the railing surrounding the water and the gal bank sign in the distance.

Overall doesn't feel quite as smooth as cyberpunk but tbh starfield movement felt floaty in the first place.

Associate
Just tried the forspoken demo. My 3060ti really struggles with this game. I had to lower all the settings to low just to get to 60fps at 1440p. After enabling FSR 3 that took it to over 100fps. Felt fine to play.

The 7800xt is looking a bit more tempting today!

Associate
Last test Witcher 3

Pretty much the same story just over double fps pushing over 200.

No ray tracing though as with cyberpunk, it brings the framerate down causing what I can only describe as visual soup.

Soldato
Oooooh so this has arrived sooner than amd stated? Iirc, that was due next year. Colour me surprised, amd delivering sooner than later :cry: :D

Hopefully it's decent as that'll be a huge win over Nvidia.

I think it was due early 2024 but they must have managed to get it working earlier. This is great news for Radeon owners. Eager to see some videos of it in action.

Caporegime
I think it was due early 2024 but they must have managed to get it working earlier. This is great news for Radeon owners. Eager to see some videos of it in action.

Yup hopefully they don't lock out previous gen amd owners from this, can't see why this shouldn't work for them given the official implementation works on basically everything.

Last edited:
Associate
Expected. However decent option if no DLSS3/FG available.

Obviously won’t stop the narrative that ngreedia could have done this, however what those people fail to understand is the difference between ‘we have X at home’ and X feature performing at a certain level.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Some info from Alex/df on fsr 3 and vsync

Edit;

It's hilarious seeing the amd Reddit, now all of a sudden, fake frames are the best thing ever! :D

I suspect even though the injection of fluid motion frames is driver level and 7xxx only ATM, it won't be long till modders figure it out to make it work on all GPUs and outside of amds drivers :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
So before I finish downloading and jump in, what's the best way to test it out on a monitor with VRR do you know?

I tested all the possibilities on my 3080FE and Dell 165Hz S2721DGF VRR monitor. The key to getting total smoothness is to enable Vsync and set the maximum frame rate to 240 in the game's Display settings menu. Disabling Vsync causing tearing similar to when you have a 60Hz monitor and fps goes higher than that. I think the VRR in the monitor cannot sync with the generated frames hence the tearing. Enabling vsync allows all the generated frame to be displayed within the 165Hz (or any other monitor refresh rate) thus giving the smoothness. I suspect tearing would be seen if fps went higher than the monitor's frequency but who plays with fps higher than the monitor's range?

Also use FSR Quality or Balanced to get a high base frame rate to reduce any input latency. I didn't feel any lag when playing with controller or keyboard/mouse.

From my testing, I am happy that AMD has succeded in launching a viable frame generation tech that is useable by every gpu owners as long as they can achieve a good base frame rate. The image quality is around the same as the standard FSR 2.2 level since they did'nt focus on improving it for this iteration of FSR3.

Last edited:
Associate
The Image quality in this forspoken game is an absolute nightmare at the best of times. probably the worst choice of game to demonstrate it or reconstruct. The technology seems to do what it's advertised as however, actually shocked at AMD not failing!

Looking forward to the FMF driver hacks so we can all play around with it.

Back
Top Bottom