Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Associate
Based off the reviews posted above, the 4k version has less text fringing but its mainly due to the increased pixel density. If the you noticed the fringing on the previous OLEDS you'll likely notice with the new panels
Yea, wasn't expecting a significant change since the layout is the same - was hoping 4K would solve most of it (as you mentioned, higher density). LG are moving to RGWB so it could be worth waiting (if they offer burn-in protection, which they currently don't).

Soldato
Yea, wasn't expecting a significant change since the layout is the same - was hoping 4K would solve most of it (as you mentioned, higher density). LG are moving to RGWB so it could be worth waiting (if they offer burn-in protection, which they currently don't).

Yeah hopefully they do as warranty is likely to be the deciding factor between the majority of the new OLEDS

Caporegime
Surprised they did not go glossy like LG.
If you're talking about the Asus w/the LG panel it turns out it wasn't glossy....

image.png

:D

Man of Honour
Surprised they did not go glossy like LG. I wonder if the coating has been improved at all or is it the same. Not been a huge issue for me, but I would prefer glossy if I am honest. But I value Dell and their warranty more than the coating used.
The coating on these is glossier than the
If you're talking about the Asus w/the LG panel it turns out it wasn't glossy....

image.png

:D
also here

Associate
Are the black levels really as bad as it seems in the above reviews? I knew QD OLED suffered from the grey/purple blacks in brightly lit rooms but watching those review above it almost makes it out to be a deal breaker. Especially that LTT video above. Maybe the room brightness is much brighter than the video makes it appear but the screen looks purple when he unboxes it.
The raised black due to ambient light really sticks out when you are used to Woled. Dunno if I would call it a dealbreaker, but I'm glad it isn't being ignored as much as last year. When comparing the 2 OLED techs strengths and weaknesses, this is definitely the main weakness of qd. I guess most people moved from ips/tn/va so didn't really bother them. I've used OLED for years and the black raise was instantly noticeable. You certainly don't need a flood lit room or torch shining at the screen for it to happen. As I mentioned earlier, I can see it already raising in daytime, in a room with 3/4 black out curtains closed with the back of the monitor facing the curtains.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Associate
The raised black due to ambient light really sticks out when you are used to Woled. Dunno if I would call it a dealbreaker, but I'm glad it isn't being ignored as much as last year. When comparing the 2 OLED techs strengths and weaknesses, this is definitely the main weakness of qd. I guess most people moved from ips/tn/va so didn't really bother them. I've used OLED for years and the black raise was instantly noticeable. You certainly don't need a flood lit room or torch shining at the screen for it to happen. As I mentioned earlier, I can see it already raising in daytime, in a room with 3/4 black out curtains closed with the back of the monitor facing the curtains.
Using both qd and oled - for qd to have noticably raised blacks, room has to be so bright that glossy woled becomes a reflection-fest - so it really is a moot point.

Soldato
both of the new monitors have a cooling fan inside.. That's unfortunate because many of the new monitors announced at ces use passive cooling with graphene heatsinks but Alienware has stuck with the cheaper option of using fans

Pretty sure the Alienware has the graphene as well because it's part of the panel at the rear.
Alienware choose to add a fan because they're giving you 3 years burn-in warranty

Associate
Using both qd and oled - for qd to have noticably raised blacks, room has to be so bright that glossy woled becomes a reflection-fest - so it really is a moot point.
Nope. As I mentioned the room doesn't have to be as bright as people describe. My woled wasn't a reflection fest. As I said the room was dim. 3 out of 4 black out curtains closed, screen facing away from the windows and lights off. So for my eye its not a moot point. I have no reason to make it up.

Soldato

Now to me that definately sounds like a deal breaker. For me the main advantage of OLED is true blacks. I've had an OLED tv since 2019 and couldn't go back to anything that doesn't give proper blacks. What you describe sounds like a reasonably dark room and if what you describe is accurate I'd probably send the QD OLED back and get a WOLED screen.

As you say I can imagine a lot of people not realising or noticing the raised blacks if it's their first OLED though.

Associate
Now to me that definately sounds like a deal breaker. For me the main advantage of OLED is true blacks. I've had an OLED tv since 2019 and couldn't go back to anything that doesn't give proper blacks. What you describe sounds like a reasonably dark room and if what you describe is accurate I'd probably send the QD OLED back and get a WOLED screen.

As you say I can imagine a lot of people not realising or noticing the raised blacks if it's their first OLED though.
In the dim environment, it is only a very small raise. Point was that it starts to become perceivable even at relatively low light, and doesn't need floodlit rooms and spot lights. The raise would be higher than a tn in those conditions :D Id say it depends on environment if it is a deal breaker vs woled. I game in a dark room so I'm happy.

Associate
Nope. As I mentioned the room doesn't have to be as bright as people describe. My woled wasn't a reflection fest. As I said the room was dim. 3 out of 4 black out curtains closed, screen facing away from the windows and lights off. So for my eye its not a moot point. I have no reason to make it up.
Hmm, it must be something very specific about your room or you must be very sensitive to that. I am using AW3423DW in an east facing room and can still distinguish between pure black and 1%gray in broad daylight. LG G3 on the other hand is much less comfortable to use in such conditions due to reflections - maybe I am on the other hand hiper-sensitive to reflections :D

Caporegime
Yeah I've got a LG 55e7 and AW34 in the same room, no doubt when it is a very bright environment or light directly shining on the screens, aw34 loses the blacks but then the lg oled you can see yourself and your room reflected, which is even more distracting and requires controlling the lighting/angling much more where as not so much of an issue on the aw34, which is better for me. Pick your poison really.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah I've got a LG 55e7 and AW34 in the same room, no doubt when it is a very bright environment or light directly shining on the screens, aw34 loses the blacks but then the lg oled you can see yourself and your room reflected, which is even more distracting and requires controlling the lighting/angling much more where as not so much of an issue on the aw34, which is better for me. Pick your poison really.

Glossy every time for me. I can control lighting in my office. That said, as a result not had much issue with the Alienware either.

Soldato
OP

For both monitor types (I have woled and qdoled) if you play bright content like a action movie or a bright colorful video game, the black level of the qdoled is un-noticeable and you don't see reflections on the woled, so basically it doesn't matter.

But what about dark content? What if you watch a horror movie or horror game in a bright room? On the QD OLED you can still see the content, the blacks just look grey but you can still view the image. On the woled you can't see anything, the game and movie is completely unwatchable due to reflections

So in summary if you're watching bright content then it doesn't matter which screen people use. If it's dark content then qdoled can technically still work, though watching on darkroom is preferred but woled is completely unusable with dark content in a bright room

Last edited:
Associate
For both monitor types (I have woled and qdoled) if you play bright content like a action movie or a bright colorful video game, the black level of the qdoled is un-noticeable and you don't see reflections on the woled, so basically it doesn't matter.

But what about dark content? What if you watch a horror movie or horror game in a bright room? On the QD OLED you can still see the content, the blacks just look grey but you can still view the image. On the woled you can't see anything, the game and movie is completely unwatchable due to reflections

So in summary if you're watching bright content then it doesn't matter which screen people use. If it's dark content then qdoled can technically still work, though watching on darkroom is preferred but woled is completely unusable with dark content in a bright room
Yep,that was exactly my point. I would rather have slightly raised blacks than "being part of the action" :D(by being a reflection on a screen ;) )
I am also quite excited by the new AG coating on S95D

Last edited:
Associate
I'd assume then, on the current LG and Asus 27" 240hz WOLEDs, which have the matte coating, this wouldn't be an issue?

Back
Top Bottom