How much has your council tax gone up this year?

Soldato
They should sack off council tax and introduce Land Value Tax at 0.5% of the value of the house, assessed by the most recent sales price or indexed against the Land Registry / ONS figures if the previous sale was more than 10 years ago.

Soldato
They should sack off council tax and introduce Land Value Tax at 0.5% of the value of the house, assessed by the most recent sales price or indexed against the Land Registry / ONS figures if the previous sale was more than 10 years ago.

That would knock £600 off our yearly bill, maybe more depending on rise this year. That was a recent sale (less than 3 years) too.

We can afford the current charge, so I doubt it would ever be reduced. £2700 a year for bin collection, road sweeping and annual hedge trimming on local paths. (I know it goes towards a lot more than that).

Soldato
Mine seems to have gone up by the maximum 5.99%. They are considering whether to reduce bin collections from fortnightly (with recycling fortnightly as well) down to monthly. Charges have also been introduced at our local dump too. Happy times. It's no wonder fly tipping is on the increase.
How does that work at the dump?

Soldato
CT is frozen here for 2024/25 (water is going up mind which forms part of the CT payment)

I dont agree it should have been frozen but its a favourite with voters so its been done and to hang with underfunding of the councils.

Soldato
The whole system is very unfair though, in reality why does the value of your house decide how much we pay regardless of your actual income and ability to pay? everyone gets the same council services so everyone should pay the same amount. The whole % thing gets my Goat, I'm on a very low income and live in a semi rural road rated band E so because every rise is based on a percentage I end up paying even more.
The same applies to wage increases based on a % so the ones already on the highest income get the biggest rise, how fair is that!

Soldato
everyone gets the same council services so everyone should pay the same amount

You could extend this argument to income tax too. We all have the same access to the NHS so we should all pay the same amount, and it's true for all the other things income tax covers.

Should get rid of CT altogether and fund the activities centrally from a national pot, added on to income tax and distributed nationally according to population density and need. It would probably only need a 1% increase in income tax, if that.

Ps Birmingham here so likely be seeing a 10% rise because of their mismanagement being passed on to the public who had nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
The same applies to wage increases based on a % so the ones already on the highest income get the biggest rise, how fair is that!

Because the rises are meant to help with inflationary pressures which also runs on a percentage.

If a person has a certain "lifestyle level cost" (mortgage, bills, all other expenses like gyms, holidays etc) and, due to inflation, their lifestyle level cost increases by 5%, its fair for their pay to go up 5% just like someone earning less who would have a lower lifestyle cost e.g.

Person A on £25k/year can accommodate a certain level of lifestyle
Person B on £45k/year can accommodate a different level of lifestyle (more expensive - bigger home, better cars, private healthcare, more holidays etc etc)

If the "lifestyle cost" goes up by 5% and both people get the same rise, as you say, for example a £1,500 rise:

Person A - gets 6% rise to combat 5% lifestyle rise (their lifestyle improves)
Person B - gets 3% rise to combat 5% lifestyle rise (their lifestyle decreases)

Soldato
^^ makes sense, until you make note that inflation affects shelter, food, travel (non-leisure), insurance, etc etc.

All of the basic things like that are not lifestyle and usually go up at more than the percentage rises you see low paid people get more often than not.

Person A is getting cut adrift while person B is keeping up with what they already have.

Soldato
Thought it was time to revive this thread.

Spare a thought for those in Pembrokeshire (the rich holiday home filled area.. FYI)

£1300 for band D is cheap though band A is not much cheaper than that here. Its also unfair in that the difference between A and D is only a few hundred pound but a big difference in wealth

The whole system is very unfair though, in reality why does the value of your house decide how much we pay regardless of your actual income and ability to pay? everyone gets the same council services so everyone should pay the same amount. The whole % thing gets my Goat, I'm on a very low income and live in a semi rural road rated band E so because every rise is based on a percentage I end up paying even more.
I should think thats obvious a person in a bedsit would be paying the same as 5-bedroom house those on the lowest income are already facing the largest cut in net income since so much is gobbled up by inflation in food, fuel, heating etc etc whereas the wealthy its a tiny fraction of their income and this govt want to hand them even more money in the shape of (income) tax cuts further increasing the disparity between rich and poor. Arguably one of the problems we have in housing is that there are large numbers of older people sitting on properties far too large for their needs and income I've even heard of elderly people visiting food banks etc living in 5 bed properties

Last edited:
Soldato
^^ makes sense, until you make note that inflation affects shelter, food, travel (non-leisure), insurance, etc etc.

I did include those but, rather than have a huge long list, I put it in with the "mortgage, bills, all other expenses like gyms, holidays etc" in my post (shelter = mortgage, food/travel/insurance is part of bills etc)

Perhaps the phrase of "lifestyle cost" was wrong (could be interpreted as a "choice") - what I mean is a person's cost of living the lifestyle they currently have i.e. the cost of EVERYTHING to live as they are.

All of the basic things like that are not lifestyle and usually go up at more than the percentage rises you see low paid people get more often than not.

Person A is getting cut adrift while person B is keeping up with what they already have.

A couple of examples -
Person A's mortgage rate may increase a little more than Person B's however Person A's mortgage may be far smaller so the actual increase in ££'s will be lower than Person B's
Person A's food bill may increase a little more than Person B's as Person B can replace premium items with own brands whereas Person A might already be on own brands.

Unfortunately, in this kind of discussion, you have to generalise otherwise it gets very messy and complicated very fast.

Last edited:
Soldato
The thing about all this is people and pensioners already on benefits will probably be able to claim council tax relief or some such. That will increase costs until only those with savings or a modest income will be paying.

It seems like it’s all unsustainable.

Associate
CT is frozen here for 2024/25 (water is going up mind which forms part of the CT payment)

I dont agree it should have been frozen but its a favourite with voters so its been done and to hang with underfunding of the councils.
They will go bust soon then

Caporegime
£1300 for band D is cheap though band A is not much cheaper than that here. Its also unfair in that the difference between A and D is only a few hundred pound but a big difference in wealth

I should think thats obvious a person in a bedsit would be paying the same as 5-bedroom house those on the lowest income are already facing the largest cut in net income since so much is gobbled up by inflation in food, fuel, heating etc etc whereas the wealthy its a tiny fraction of their income and this govt want to hand them even more money in the shape of (income) tax cuts further increasing the disparity between rich and poor. Arguably one of the problems we have in housing is that there are large numbers of older people sitting on properties far too large for their needs and income I've even heard of elderly people visiting food banks etc living in 5 bed properties

Fair.

Looks like poor forecasting in Pembrokeshire.
Obviously haven't raised it for years and then bam..
Not best method.

Soldato
Time to get fleeced again. RIP if you're in Birmingham and Woking I guess. Sky news:

Nearly every local authority with responsibility for social care in England is planning to raise council tax by the maximum this April.

Data compiled by the County Councils Network (CCN) found 95% of councils that have so far published their budget proposals (129 out of 136) want to raise council tax by the maximum permitted without a referendum - 4.99%.

These changes will mean that the average Band D household faces an increase of £103 over the year.

The CCN warned councils are still facing a collective funding gap of £1.1bn over the next two years.

Councillor Sam Corcoran, vice-chair of the CNN, said councils were having to make "some of their toughest decisions ever".

Where is going up less than 4.99%?

Separate research by the Local Government Chronicle has identified five councils so far that have all proposed increases below the cap:

• In Labour-run Rochdale MBC, council tax will go up by 4.99% but all bills will receive a one-off 2% discount for this year.
  • In Hartlepool BC (Con), council tax will go up by just under 2.99% - the full social care levy of 2% plus 0.99%.
  • Tower Hamlets LBC (Aspire) is putting council tax up by 2.99% alongside the 2% social care precept, but will have a relief fund available to households with an income below £49,500.
  • Stockton-on-Tees (Lab) and Nottinghamshire (Con) have both proposed rises just below the referendum cap at 4.95% and 4.8%.
What about councils that don't look after social care?

If you live in an area covered by a district council which doesn't have social care duties, your council tax can only go up by a maximum of 2.99% without a referendum. Again, most of these councils in Chronicle research said they were raising council tax by the full amount.

Exceptions noted by the Local Government Chronicle so far are Adur DC, which is proposing a 1.99% increase, and Lichfield DC, which has modelled a 1.99% increase for its budget consultation, but according to leader Doug Pullen it is likely to go for "perhaps 2.8% based on current thinking".

Harlow BC, Fenland DC and Harborough DC have all announced that they plan to freeze council tax this year, according to the Chronicle.

Where will it go up by more?

The government is allowing Birmingham and Woking to raise council tax by up to 10% - and Thurrock and Slough can put bills up 8%. All have effectively declared themselves bankrupt.

What about Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland?

Councils in Wales must plug funding gaps of nearly £360m in 2024-25.

The caps don't apply - so proposed hikes vary wildly from 3% in Cardiff to between 16% and 21% in Pembrokeshire - a record.

In Northern Ireland, Mid and East Antrim has the highest uplift in household rates at 9.78%. Lisburn and Castlereagh is the lowest at 3.98%.

In Scotland, the devolved government announced a council tax freeze for the coming year.

Commissario
Apparently 1/5th of the Council tax goes to paying the local government gold plated pensions :confused:
Which pensions?

Most government jobs, especially local ones haven't had a "gold plated pension" open to new employees for at least 20-30 years, and back when it was the "norm" in the 50's-70's (a lot really cut back during the 80's), it was basically seen as a trade off, y0u potentially got a significantly lower wage working for the local council, but if you stuck with it your pension was linked to your final salary and you got the chance to retire a few years earlier*.
A lot of the larger "professional" private companies had similar "gold plated" pensions back then (although I've seen that term used for everything from great pensions, to ones that were absolutely common when people joined them 40 years ago), it's wasn't some extra special perk exclusive to the council.

*Again something that wasn't too unusual in some private industries, IIRC a neighbour who worked at a big company had the option to retire in his 50's as he'd been working with the company since the late 70's.

Soldato
Ours is going up 2.99%. That'll be about £3400 then.

Which pensions?

Most government jobs, especially local ones haven't had a "gold plated pension" open to new employees for at least 20-30 years, and back when it was the "norm" in the 50's-70's (a lot really cut back during the 80's), it was basically seen as a trade off, y0u potentially got a significantly lower wage working for the local council, but if you stuck with it your pension was linked to your final salary and you got the chance to retire a few years earlier*.
A lot of the larger "professional" private companies had similar "gold plated" pensions back then (although I've seen that term used for everything from great pensions, to ones that were absolutely common when people joined them 40 years ago), it's wasn't some extra special perk exclusive to the council.

*Again something that wasn't too unusual in some private industries, IIRC a neighbour who worked at a big company had the option to retire in his 50's as he'd been working with the company since the late 70's.
My dad is retiring soon and i've been sorting his pensions, its amazing the DB pensions he has from his work in the 90s into early 00s. Very generous. Its not like he was even late into his career at those times or even earning all that much money. Completely different times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom