Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Associate
I saw on the Dell community site that someone with an AW3225QF monitor was complaining about VRR flickering with G-SYNC enabled despite the display being certified by NVIDIA as G-SYNC Compatible. See here: https://www.dell.com/community/en/c...ker/65d281515d6a0f67868009b5?keyword=aw3225qf

This is the same issue I am experiencing on my AW2725DF which is NOT certified as G-SYNC Compatible.

Makes me question what this certification actually means if NVIDIA can brand monitors that have VRR flickering as G-SYNC Compatible. It did seem strange to me that the 32" monitor is certified but the 27" isn't, unless it is do with it having AMD Freesync Premium branding?

Soldato
I saw on the Dell community site that someone with an AW3225QF monitor was complaining about VRR flickering with G-SYNC enabled despite the display being certified by NVIDIA as G-SYNC Compatible. See here: https://www.dell.com/community/en/c...ker/65d281515d6a0f67868009b5?keyword=aw3225qf

This is the same issue I am experiencing on my AW2725DF which is NOT certified as G-SYNC Compatible.

Makes me question what this certification actually means if NVIDIA can brand monitors that have VRR flickering as G-SYNC Compatible. It did seem strange to me that the 32" monitor is certified but the 27" isn't, unless it is do with it having AMD Freesync Premium branding?
I'm sure the VRR flickering is an inherent problem with OLED. It's too do with gamma I believe, it's visible on all 4 OLED's I own, some games are far worse than others.

Soldato
I'm sure the VRR flickering is an inherent problem with OLED. It's too do with gamma I believe, it's visible on all 4 OLED's I own, some games are far worse than others.
Pretty much, I've seen some slight flicker on mine but nothing major, and honestly after this many years on OLEDs you get used too it, usually only noticeable on loading screens or start menus

Associate

Yes, that seems to be my experience of it so far too, first with my 2019 LG B9 OLED TV, where it was only noticeable in a few games at 120 Hz on my PS5, and now my AW2725DF, where it is pretty distracting to be honest, certainly in comparison to my ASUS PG279Q IPS monitor which had no flickering at all.

Granted, most games seem to run fine and it is mostly restricted to dark grey loading screens but I have seen it in a few darker games too while playing as well as on the desktop where I can see it on bright and dark desktop wallpapers that are cycle through 50 or so images every 30 minutes. I do feel like is a big flaw with this technology but very few reviews seem to mention this, if they even mention VRR at all.

I realise I can disable G-SYNC but I do not want to have to keep disabling it every time I return to the desktop and then having to remember to enable it again when I play a game. On my previous monitor, I enabled it when I got the display and then left it on without any issue at all for 7 years!

Got to say that I think the VRR flickering is by far the worst issue that this monitor has and I am disappointed to see it. Clearly, NVIDIA don't see it as an issue because they certify the monitors (AW3225QF in this case) as G-SYNC Compatible anyway but I'm sure I read that one of their certification criteria on their website was to ensure the display did not flicker!

If you have a stable framerate then the flickering is reduced but the whole point of using VRR in the first place is to help prevent judder and also hide the variations in the framerate. Last thing I want to do is have to turn off G-SYNC and put up with juddering or, even worse, screen tearing after 7 years of smooth gaming on my other display.

Last edited:
Soldato

The 32" is not yet G-Sync certified.
It's on Nvidia's list to be certified in an upcoming driver release. It's currently only compatible, just like any other VRR monitor

Soldato
48-A32-CC6-EEEB-42-FD-B86-E-1509260-B4-A58.jpg
Speakers have arrived to test with PS5 / PC.

Set these up, got them for £90 from the rainforest. Wow, wasn't expecting much but the speakers are a good size and pack a punch! Anyone wanting to use these they work perfect, got them running Bluetooth to the PC, connected instantly no dropouts that I've noticed. Then running them via the ARC connection to the Dell eARC port. Working perfectly! So anyone wanting to use a PS5 and the AW3225QF I can confirm this works 100% via ARC. Tried USB to USB to PS5 but that didn't work at all. Might help a few people!

Caporegime
Haha. You really want one :p

You know it is the way! :D

Have got 10% and £100 from amex so pretty tempted :p It's just the fact that games are made in mind for 4k now especially with use of TAA based upsampling, that and this 3rd gen panel sounds like a nice improvement overall compared to the 1st gen ones.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Have got 10% and £100 from amex so pretty tempted :p It's just the fact that games are made in mind for 4k now especially with use of TAA based upsampling, that and this 3rd gen panel sounds like a nice improvement overall compared to the 1st gen ones.

Do it! Worst case you don't see the point and send it back.

I am not even gaming at the minute and fancy it :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
4K at 32" is pretty sweet, but then again I've only ever had 4K with TV's so maybe just me fanboying over it a little still

Associate
Had my 27" for a couple of days now, absolutely blown away, just seems like the perfect monitor after putting up with ips glow for so many years. Mine came with the marks but luckily they came off with the cloth they include (why not a screen protector instead of cloth ... Odd)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom