Is it time to ban LED Headlights

Man of Honour
Everyone is a bit different as well when it comes to night vision (apparently your eye colour is also a factor there) and being dazzled by lights - my dad struggles a lot with it while my mum is barely dazzled by bright lights at night at all. My night vision is actually well above average in the dark but I'm also more easily dazzled by headlights than average.

Soldato
Yep, blue eyes are much more light sensitive apparently. But tbh it's likely to be as near as makes no difference when it comes to this.

Caporegime
Isn't it there to take the place of the manual levelling system - therefore for adjusting the headlights when you are towing a trailer or have a heavy load? I don't think it was ever intended to automatically level based on the road conditions.

Correct. Which is sort of my point, does nothing to stop headlights blinding people when going over bumps

Caporegime
if car is using matrix , that would not need any mechanical self-levelling to instantly cut the top row of lights when bump arrives, or pot-hole rebound; full DLP could do even better (let me patent that)

Do Matrix (and other auto dip features) pick up other road users, or just cars? What happens with pedestrians, cyclists, etc?

Soldato
Do Matrix (and other auto dip features) pick up other road users, or just cars? What happens with pedestrians, cyclists, etc?
It depends on the system, there are many.

It probably should be said that just because lights are matrix, it doesn’t absolve you from being in control of them and dropping them to just the dipped beam if they are doing something inappropriate.

The same thing applies to automatic head/tail lights that don’t come on in the fog/rain.

Man of Honour

Not so much about Matrix ones but can be a tricky one sometimes with pedestrians and cyclists knowing what is best to do manually - pitch black out of town roads if you dip for one you might miss lighting up another enough :( especially with the number of people who'll happily walk or cycle in bad positions in dark clothing and even no lights on their bike.

The auto-headlights on my vehicles don't react to cyclists or pedestrians.

Last edited:
Soldato

And how are they handling other lights which aren't on cars, also reflections. These automated things usually aren't worth the trouble as there are always great areas where they can't decide what to do.

Last edited:
Don
The matrix lights in my CX5 pick up cyclists, cars, motorcycles etc but not pedestrians. I always have to dip manually to avoid blinding people walking beside the road. I'm not sure what sort of logic it's using but maybe it's looking for lights rather than a specific object?

Soldato
The matrix lights in my CX5 pick up cyclists, cars, motorcycles etc but not pedestrians. I always have to dip manually to avoid blinding people walking beside the road. I'm not sure what sort of logic it's using but maybe it's looking for lights rather than a specific object?

It's just a light sensor I think. If you have it looking for objects you get all sorts of crazy stuff happening, which is the issue with self driving cars which there is no solution to. The pedestrian got run over because it briefly didn't look like a pedestrian etc..

Last edited:
Don
It's just a light sensor I think. If you have it looking for objects you get all sorts of crazy stuff happening, which is the issue with self driving cars which there is no solution to. The pedestrian got run over because it briefly didn't look like a pedestrian etc..
It's much more than a light sensor. It needs to be able to detect where objects are in relation to the front of the car so it can cast a shadow. WHat I was questioning was whether the logic looks for specific shapes or whether it looks for point lights.

Soldato
I very much doubt with today's ignorant drivers that they dip their lights at all. You and I might be an exception to that rule but generally most seem to be extremely selfish.

As for matrix led headlights, I bet they can react quicker and have far more precision than the nut that holds on the steering wheel.

Thing about surveys is that they can never dig down deep enough, as it's usually a yes no answer. It is good that a investigation is taking place but I hope it will have a broad enough brief to determine if there is actually an issue and if there is what type of headlamp could be causing it. After al there are more cars on the road these days and it could easily be halogens that have no auto levelling causing this. They also might want to look at the drivers themselves who are saying this.

Let's not demonise one type of headlamp only on anecdotal evidence.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some will actively flash at pedestrians to make their presence more obvious to the driver

Its the same camera, often in a stereoscopic setup, thats used for lane steering assist and traffic sign recognition! 'A sensor' actual LOL.

#DailyMashcheck

Last edited:
Soldato
Some will actively flash at pedestrians to make their presence more obvious to the driver

Its the same camera, often in a stereoscopic setup, thats used for lane steering assist and traffic sign recognition! 'A sensor' actual LOL.

#DailyMashcheck

What do you think is actually inside a camera lens? Lol

It's a light sensor. The only difference between using it to track points of light and take photos is the software...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom