Is it time to ban LED Headlights

Soldato
Careful with that. Liable to get you arrested.

Couple of nights free food. :D

What do you think is actually inside a camera lens? Lol

It's a light sensor. The only difference between using it to track points of light and take photos is the software...

Im going to go with a series of lenses on to a CCD or CMOS chip like pretty much all digital cameras... in the camera. To answer your question whats in the lense? Compounds of an optical grade plastic or glass. Cos thats what it is. You were really in the space of a GCSE science LDR and now trying to skew things. At best its an array of sensors, not a single one.

#MashCheck2

Last edited:
Permabanned
Everyone is a bit different as well when it comes to night vision
iu

Soldato
LED headlights won't be banned, that cat is well and truly out of the bag, sadly.

I was recently followed at night by a police Peugeot 308 or 30000008 (whatever the SUV/crossover model number is) and it was intimidatingly close to the back of my car. With my car being low (practically subterranean compared to todays breed of vehicles) the Peugeot's lights were right at my rear view mirror level. Not even the dichroic rear view mirror could tame the brightness and the mirror lacked the manual flick down feature to redirect it's lasers back at the imperial starfighter.

LED headlights are also a problem from behind but not quite as bad as the macula scarring effect of them being head on.

OcUK Staff
When I borrowed a McLaren Artura and drove it at night it’s LED headlights were insanely bright great when your driving as they made night driving so easy.

But around half of drivers were flashing me thinking I had full beams on I had to resort flashing back my actual full beams to vaporise oncoming drivers and stop them flashing me. :D

They certainly can be annoying but they won’t ever be banned.

Soldato
I think the logical thing is a limit on the light output.

I wish they'd use LED bulbs as well. When I was buying the Mondeo I avoided the LED option, with the Mazda it was just the default lights.
One costs about £5 to change the other is almost £800.

Soldato
I mean regulation that stops the current crop of overnight lights. Obviously there are already rules around headlights.
They're so vague.
Pretty much amounts to you would be able to see 100 meters ahead with blinding other drivers.
I see nothing about a max output, only thing coming close to mentioning high output is that above 2000 lumens you need washers and self levelling.

Man of Honour
I mean regulation that stops the current crop of overbright lights. Obviously there are already rules around headlights.

What if any investigation finds out that there isn't really an issue here?

I'm surprised the discussion about the accident rates didn't continue once I pointed out that from the government data there didn't appear to be an increasing trend despite a significant increase in the number of cars fitted with such headlights. I thought that was worth discussing as it's actual data rather than just opinions..

Last edited:
Soldato

I'm surprised the discussion about the accident rates didn't continue once I pointed out that from the government data there didn't appear to be an increasing trend despite a significant increase in the number of cars fitted with such headlights. I thought that was worth discussing as it's actual data rather than just opinions..

That was the government response to the recent petition too.

All vehicle headlamps are designed and tested to follow international standards to ensure that they are both bright enough to illuminate the road but don’t affect the vision of other road users. The standards define the beam pattern and include maximum and minimum light intensities. We know that lots of people raise concerns about headlight glare – but also that the police collision statistics don’t show any underlying road safety issue.

Because of that lack of evidence, the Department for Transport (DfT) raised the issue at the United Nations international expert group on vehicle lighting. Proposals to amend headlamp aiming rules were agreed in April 2023, together with requirements for mandatory automatic headlamp levelling which automatically corrects the aim of the headlamps based on the loading of the vehicle e.g. when passengers are sat on the back seat or there is luggage in the boot.

The transitional provisions permit sufficient time for vehicle manufacturers to redesign their products and adapt the manufacturing process, with the tighter tolerances expected to come into effect in September 2027.

Once implemented, these tougher requirements will help alleviate the number of cases where road users are dazzled. In addition, the DfT also plans to commission independent research to better understand the root causes of driver glare and identify any further appropriate mitigations.

Department for Transport

They know people are complaining but the only problem so far seems to be irritated opticians.

Soldato

Not really because it's difficult to separate out factors that bring the trend down.
Safer cars, generally slower speeds, weather averages for the year. If you can find data specifically relating to causes happy to discuss that.

Soldato
I think LED headlights are worse for the other drivers with their tears from not having them :p

Head on statement was pure conjecture. Poor posting from the DailyMash. Might rebrand him to the HourlyMash?
If I have the choice, I choose standard halogen lights. Cheaper to maintain and do the job just fine.

Back
Top Bottom