Good MB & RAM for 7800X3D?

Man of Honour
I officially hate thermalright fan fastening, it's filmsy and complicated at the same time.

It was horrific on the force commander, especially with the 140 fan. Fiddly trying to stop the clips falling off and then excessive force needed to hook the clips onto the heatsink. The 120 fan was much easier. There was also no direction arrow on the fans!!! Had to find a YouTube video and work it out.

Soldato
This is the cable you plug into the motherboard

4W5N9Ul.jpeg

Soldato
This looks like what I plugged

But you have 2 sets plugged into the motherboard in your photo, you only got one cable with the psu. You can tell as you have 4 sets of connectors, you should only have 2 sets of connectors maximum to plug into the motehrboard.

Find the 8 pin cable that splits into 2 sets of 4 pins, not the ones that split into 6 plus 2.

Possibly the one at the bottom of the photo in this one.

cables.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No, it's a GIGABYTE UD1000GM PG5 3.0 80 PLUS GOLD.

I used the bundled PSU cables that fit, could that be an issue?
I will take more pics but I don't ve more cables in that format.
By "bundled PSU cables", you mean the ones that come with the same PSU, right?

Ok, taking the top cables off, the motherboard lights up and gives error 00.
You'll need at least one of the 8 pin 12v connectors or the PC won't post.

Associate
The FC140 was an amazing buy, especially in all black. The thing is huge though, but it keeps the 7800X3D temperatures in check.
What are your idle temps with the new build ? Built mine yesterday, and all went well ... until my Windows 11 Pro digital license wouldn't reactivate and "disappeared" from my MS account. MS support were useless, so bought a cheap key and cancelled Office365 sub and Game Pass in protest lol ! But anyway, back to temps ... getting mid 40's for idle/light work. High 50's / mid 60's when gaming ... and this is with a -30 in curve optimizer.

Associate
OP
By "bundled PSU cables", you mean the ones that come with the same PSU, right?

You'll need at least one of the 8 pin 12v connectors or the PC won't post.
What I plugged from the PSU is the big cable (24pin?):

If i plug just this one I get the 00 error

Then I have 2 8pin ones:

If I plug either one or two I get no and occasionally a small click sounds.

Soldato
What I plugged from the PSU is the big cable (24pin?):

If i plug just this one I get the 00 error

Then I have 2 8pin ones

The photos arent perfectly clear but it still looks like you’re using the graphics card 8 pin cable instead of the motherboard 8 pin

You need to make sure you’re using the 8 pin one that splits apart into 2 squares of 4 pins, you’ll only have 1 of these cables with the psu and on that cable there will be 2 of said connectors.

But like I say, I can’t perfectly tell from the photos.

EDIT I loaded the hi res version of your photo and it is indeed the wrong cable still, that’s the 6 plus 2, that is to say the 2 pins on the end come away from the main block.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It sounds like the cables are causing a short or the PSU/motherboard protection circuits to kick in. It could be because you're using the wrong one (or from a different PSU with a different pinout), or it isn't plugged in properly.

Soldato
None of the cables I got splits.

This is the other cable I have, both ends:

As Tetras says, that does split and is the correct cable. You plug the long side of the cable into the PSU and on the other end you have the first 4+4 plug and then a short distance after the second 4+4 which go into the motherboard

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As Tetras says, that does split and is the correct cable. You plug the long side of the cable into the PSU and on the other end you have the first 4+4 plug and then a short distance after the second 4+4 which go into the motherboard
Ok, I'm glad to be an idiot in this case and thanks for all the support!
Now, where should I plug it on the PSU side and should I plub both other plugs on the motherboard?

Soldato
Ok, I'm glad to be an idiot in this case and thanks for all the support!
Now, where should I plug it on the PSU side and should I plub both other plugs on the motherboard?

We all start somewhere :)

It can only plug into one of the three PCI-E/CPU connectors on the PSU, and you may as well plug both in, it won't be necessary but won't hurt.

21UHQvtl.jpeg

I'd probably connect to one of the CPU/PCI-E connectors (8pin) and I might even put it on the other side to where my graphics card was going. So if you were using the 12vhpwr I'd use one of the top two right connectors. But if I was using a 6 or 8 pin graphics card (which might use the top two right connectors) I'd use the lower one

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd use the one that splits in the left hand socket on the motherboard, which is labelled A in the manual (& _1). The second shouldn't be necessary to boot up.

Back
Top Bottom