** The Official WWDC 2011 Thread **

Man of Honour
Indeed and people say that its only BBM that make them want to go to Blackberry....its actually the LED light on a BB that makes it more appealing.

On my 9780 i have an app called bebuzz which allows me to set different colours for all my notifications...hell i even have a disco light led ie gives off a strobe light effect for my BBM's...but even my most used contacts have a separate led light for them so i dont need to even look at my screen...i just know via my led light what message or who is calling me....bloody awesome that is.

Thankfully HTC are following suit and have put notifcation LED's on most of their phones. Having got an iPhone 4 and Galaxy S II its something you tend to miss unless you check your phone all the time, its better if you can just glance at it on your desk and see if you have a message, etc.

You certainly dont NEED it, but its very good to have.

Man of Honour
Erm. No legal way to obtain media? Are you saying iTunes is the only way to get music, video, podcasts?

You may have a point when it comes to video content, but for everything else you're sorely mistaken. Either that or you fail at using the Internet to source things. (legally)

Quality produced apps? There's a lot of fantastic apps on Android that are quality products, a lot of them are even completely free. Go and Google Remote Web Desktop, sorry that's a genius idea and works incredibly well.

You know for all the things I can slate Android for the two reasons you gave there are pretty bottom of the barrel stuff.

Video and tv programs. Bottom of the barrel? It's a media device. I also didn't slate endroid,

Apps I'm talking abut company apps, apps which third parties cannot make. Those are very much lacking on android. I didn't say you cant get any quality apps. But apps on android are still lacking.

Last edited:
Associate
Don't count on a new iPhone this year - I seriously don't think we can expect to see one until early next year...

I can't see them not updating the iPhone, it brings in too much money to let it slip to the competition too much and they always get a massive boost in sales whenever a new version is released. I think they are just trying to get WWDC back to concentrating on software, so postponing the launch of the next iPhone is only logical as they released the CDMA version earlier on in the year to extend the life of the 4 a little bit longer in the US.

The next iPhone will probably be announced mid to late august to be released with the iOS 5 software update and iCloud release.

Soldato
OP
I can't see them not updating the iPhone, it brings in too much money to let it slip to the competition too much and they always get a massive boost in sales whenever a new version is released. I think they are just trying to get WWDC back to concentrating on software, so postponing the launch of the next iPhone is only logical as they released the CDMA version earlier on in the year to extend the life of the 4 a little bit longer in the US.

The next iPhone will probably be announced mid to late august to be released with the iOS 5 software update and iCloud release.

No way. Can't disagree with you more :p

If the iPhone 5 (or whatever they will call it) was going to be released mid to late August, we would have either:

A. Heard it mentioned at the WWDC

or

B. Had at least a small leak by now

The coming months up to a new iPhone launch, we've always had a leak of some sort (Even if it's some new cases for the new hardware...). There hasn't even been any news of any new screens or component modules being order. And I know you'll probably say "But because of the iPhone 4 leak they would have stepped up security" - Whilst that will probably be true, you can never hide things such as when electronics companies are having millions of pounds worth of components ordered by Apple.

IF Apple were to launch this year, it would be later this year, definitely after their September media event.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Video and tv programs. Bottom of the barrel? It's a media device. I also didn't slate endroid,

Apps I'm talking abut company apps, apps which third parties cannot make. Those are very much lacking on android. I didn't say you cant get any quality apps. But apps on android are still lacking.

Hmm you raise a point with company apps, talking from a stock Android perspective the SMS app is a bit bland, it has the same functionality as the default iPhone one (as of iOS 4) but just looks a bit crap. But mostly the Google apps are actually really, really good. There's room for improvement for sure though. Gotta say Google Navigation is absolutely freaking amazing, if they port that to iPhone copilot will be dead.

I think the best thing about iPhone is that it has so many accessories due to the universal port, making it backward compatible with a lot of them. That and the fact you don't have to worry about your phone getting updates. (unless it's getting really old - like the 3G) At the moment the only way to be sure you're getting updates is by buying a Nexus device and only two of those exist.

Man of Honour
Google apps are generally good but the Android Market in general is pretty poor compared to the app store. I can't think of a single 'big' app that is better on Android, I think Twitter and Facebook are about the closest but they still don't emit the same quality vibe as the Apple versions.

Permabanned
I haven't used the Facebook app on iOS in ages so it might have been updated but I thought it was pretty crap, the Android version to me seemed slightly better but it still lacks a lot of the newer features of Facebook, I find the mobile site much better overall.

I don't mind the market but the search can be a bit dodgy, searched Twitter once and the official client was way down the page with a bunch of random apps among the top. I've not really felt a difference in quality on the whole though but I bet Android apps were really poor to begin with.

Much prefer the photo viewer on iOS compared to the Android Gallery, although now using a third party app which is essentially the same as the iOS one. Happy days.

Associate
so it was good move from apple

steve said that ios in fall no exact date so its means it will be installed in new iphone 5
which also will be released the same time as ios5, its my personal opinion

also thay will have enough time for designing new iphone 5 cause A5 chip is just very good they already have cpu gpu and perfect retina display from now ios5 so now they only need new design thats all...

and also i think it will more look like ipad 2 in design cause ipad 2 has the best design ever

lets wait and see

Man of Honour
also thay will have enough time for designing new iphone 5 cause A5 chip is just very good they already have cpu gpu and perfect retina display from now ios5 so now they only need new design thats all...

If they wait until the very end of this year or next year, the A5 is going to be dated.

and also i think it will more look like ipad 2 in design cause ipad 2 has the best design ever

lets wait and see

'The best design ever?' :p

I'm not sure how you would translate the iPad 2 design into a phone but it would be interesting to see.

Caporegime
The people moaning that apple never invent anything themselves and just copy other peoples designs make me laugh.

As do the comments that apple products are somehow worse than anybody elses but only make up for it with "marketing".

Back
Top Bottom