Currys supplied wrong camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
As long as you did not relocate due to the UK tax or 40p rate as you mention it being greedy.

Play dumb as far as you know the camera you recieved and presented to a friend for his birthday is the 1000d and they need to prove otherwise in a court of law before sending accusing letters. Currys are **** anyways the only time i go there is to act the idiot and pretend to buy electronics. I keep up to date on whats new so i never cease to have fun and amazement at thier staffs lack of knowledge and willingness to lie, Decieve and fraud customers just to get the sale and insurance. I asked one fella about if they had any Haswell laptops and he told me they only stock major brands like Dell HP Acer etc. IMHO what comes around goes around OP must have lady luck shining on him :D

Currys/Dixons scum noob PLC group who never give employment to people who would take them places. And the tech guys charging £40 to install a graphics card? Yea exactly the kind of group someone should take pity on.

Last edited:
Associate
As long as you did not relocate due to the UK tax or 40p rate as you mention it being greedy.

Play dumb as far as you know the camera you recieved and presented to a friend for his birthday is the 1000d and they need to prove otherwise in a court of law before sending accusing letters. Currys are **** anyways the only time i go there is to act the idiot and pretend to buy electronics. I keep up to date on whats new so i never cease to have fun and amazement at thier staffs lack of knowledge and willingness to lie, Decieve and fraud customers just to get the sale and insurance.

I asked one fella about if they had any Haswell laptops and he told me they only stock brands like Dell etc. IMHO what comes around goes around OP must have lady luck shining on him :D

Currys/Dixons scum PLC group.

I only go in during a last resort ie girlfriend goes next door into panty world or some other girly fest. Everytime i have been in its like a pack of wolves decending on you, they come running over from every corner of the store asking "do you need help sir" about 200 times. I end up telling them to f off and stop pestering

Permabanned
Sorry i was editing and typing. Yes they are like wolves as they are pestered so much to make sales by mangement so employment there is based on how many people you can fraud and hassle into a purchase and knowledge of products comes a very distant second. Nevermind a friendly whisper about how good that product is just get the damm money out of thier hands asap. I know someone who rose to manager there at age 21 with basic pc knowledge so it shows you how retarded most of thier staff are :D

TBH half the time i expect someone to jump out at me and scream YOU BUY NAOW?

Soldato
OP
Difference is about £120.

She reserved it online. Boyfriend collected and paid cash.

Funny story Mr Currys

I was on holiday from Oz and my camera broke so my friend reserved one online for me and I collected it in store a paid cash. I'm now back in Oz. Can you please arrange for it to be swapped asap as I've been using it rather a lot and wouldn't want to be without a camera for to long.

Soldato
I remember something like this a while back with the PS Vita and Zavvi. Obviously the scale is far smaller, but shouldn't the same principles apply?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25330615

Thats different because it was a misdelivery.

If the OP bought this instore and paid for it tgere and then, then as far as he is concerned he paid £x for a Canon 100d.

If I buy a mispriced item instore, then there is no recourse once payment is made and tge transaction is over.

Soldato
For example if it was the other way round and you bought a 100D but received a 1000D there is no way Curries would say "sorry, our mistake" and swap it.

That may be true once you left the store (they couldn't just hand it to you then deny any problem when you flag it up at the point of hand over) but afterwards them refusing to swap is not about the "big man" stepping on the "little man" and more about the balance of probabilities and combating fraud.

It makes no sense for Curry's to deliberately defraud customers by giving out lesser models than what was paid for, their multi-billion business would be gone overnight if it was ever shown. However, the 'chancer' member of the public loses nothing by 'trying it on' and taking back a cheaper camera they bought elsewhere under the pretence they'd been given the wrong one.

Soldato
Canon warranties on cameras require a receipt of purchase from within the UK. The warranty is localised and they need to know the purchase was done with a UK retailer and yes, they will need proof of what the purchase is, otherwise you could buy any old thing from a UK store and claim it as proof that the camera was purchased in the UK.

You do not have the right to obtain a receipt from the retailer. If you do not have the receipt a bank statement is usually sufficient as proof of purchase. It has the date the value usually the location the item was purchased. I have never been refused a repair when giving a bank statement as proof of purchase.

Yes but canon will want a proof of purchase that shows date, the store and the model.

Considering I work for them I know how canons warrranty works. They would just refuse to fix it if you didnt supply a proper POP. If you send it without one and fail to provide it they will charge a holding fee too for wasting their time.

I can almost guarantee if I gave canon a bank statement as proof of purchase they would accept it. Anyone that would not is providing extremely poor customer service. As for a holding fee I never heard of anyone using that... what madness. Remind me to never purchase a canon camera ;)

Soldato
Surely the letter from currys would count as proof of purchase :)

I say sod them if they employ monkeys in their stock room that's their lookout not yours

Associate
Surely the letter from currys would count as proof of purchase :)

I say sod them if they employ monkeys in their stock room that's their lookout not yours

Except that it shows the wrong camera so you have no proof that you bought that model camera...

Edit: Vanquish, I can tell you right now, canon or any other manufacture will not accept a bank statement that only shows price and the shop it was bought from, not what the item was. As I said earlier, a bank statement helps any store find the electronic copy of the receipt to be able to provide warranty information and support. I have done it many times over the past 5 years.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That may be true once you left the store (they couldn't just hand it to you then deny any problem when you flag it up at the point of hand over) but afterwards them refusing to swap is not about the "big man" stepping on the "little man" and more about the balance of probabilities and combating fraud.

It makes no sense for Curry's to deliberately defraud customers by giving out lesser models than what was paid for, their multi-billion business would be gone overnight if it was ever shown. However, the 'chancer' member of the public loses nothing by 'trying it on' and taking back a cheaper camera they bought elsewhere under the pretence they'd been given the wrong one.

Why would they deliberately defraud customers rather than it being an honest mistake much like this situation?

Lets put it this way, if the situation was reversed and the OP's sister just realised she had been given a 1000D rather than the 100D she ordered what would the response be?

Soldato
Why would they deliberately defraud customers rather than it being an honest mistake much like this situation?

They wouldn't, that was part of my point...

Lets put it this way, if the situation was reversed and the OP's sister just realised she had been given a 1000D rather than the 100D she ordered what would the response be?

They would ask for proof they were given the wrong camera and haven't just gone home and brought back another one.

But I go back to the point above, that is because if they did there would be nothing to stop Joe Public doing it all the time, whereas they couldn't deliberately do the same as they'd face legal action and be closed down.

But the point is that isn't because they are big and the consumer is small, it is because there isn't a level playing field in the first place (the consumer has little to lose by trying fraud whereas they have everything to lose).

Besides, I don't actually agree they'd necessarily say "tough luck" as they would have adequate tools to prove you right or wrong, like stock keeping records and CCTV. I have been short-changed in a couple of major high street chains (you give them a £20 and they give you change for a £10) and whilst a pain in ass, they will do a quick cash up and on both occasions I got my money.

Last edited:
Soldato
They wouldn't, that was part of my point...

They would ask for proof they were given the wrong camera and haven't just gone home and brought back another one.

But I go back to the point above, that is because if they did there would be nothing to stop Joe Public doing it all the time, whereas they couldn't deliberately do the same as they'd face legal action and be closed down.

But the point is that isn't because they are big and the consumer is small, it is because there isn't a level playing field in the first place (the consumer has little to lose by trying fraud whereas they have everything to lose).

Besides, I don't actually agree they'd necessarily say "tough luck" as they would have adequate tools to prove you right or wrong, like stock keeping records and CCTV. I have been short-changed in a couple of major high street chains (you give them a £20 and they give you change for a £10) and whilst a pain in ass, they will do a quick cash up and on both occasions I got my money.

What would stop someone doing this is that they'd check stock levels, and realise they were down one camera, and up another one, which would demonstrate that a wrong item had been sold.

Soldato
Except that isn't what happened, so again, I don't get where "herp derp, steal a dem dat dere one of doze plasma flat screen LCD teevees" came from.

To me, the line of thinking is sound, because the person who has the camera knows that the camera received was not what was paid for, and the store has made it abundantly clear that the camera was not a gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom