Motorsport Off Topic Thread

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Sat here quietly chuckling to myself at this article on F1 Fanatic. Specifically this little gem in the "Points for fastest lap" section:

Surely no one wants to see an F1 championship decided that way.

1958, anyone? Stirling Moss wins four times to Mike Hawthorn's single victory, but because a point was awarded for the fastest lap back then (and Stirling had more DNFs) he managed to win the title.

And back then that single point was worth a lot more, since it was only 8 points for a win.

Soldato
Sat here quietly chuckling to myself at this article on F1 Fanatic. Specifically this little gem in the "Points for fastest lap" section:

1958, anyone? Stirling Moss wins four times to Mike Hawthorn's single victory, but because a point was awarded for the fastest lap back then (and Stirling had more DNFs) he managed to win the title.

And back then that single point was worth a lot more, since it was only 8 points for a win.
You play to the rules you've got, and back then reliability was so poor that any couple of wins would give you a genuine shot at the title. A fastest lap was a small but decent advantage.

Now, with the vast reliability of the majority of teams, in all likelihood, it means the chances of it deciding a title is minuscule.

Would I want it? Meh, as long as it's implemented better than the current BTCC grid orders (and it wouldn't be hard to better that colostomy bag) then I wouldn't mind it. The chances of it deciding a title in the final few laps are microscopic (as in Brazil 2008 Ferrari garage microscopic). I couldn't care less frankly, as it's going to do sod all. This time 2 years ago most of this forum was soiling itself over the double-points last race. This isn't even a pin-***** in comparison.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
You cannot award points for pole or fastest lap in a series that doesn't have equal or equalised machinery. It just doesn't make sense.

Why?

Would that not be an incentive for people to make a better racing car? Would that not be a huge draw for the best drivers in the world?

Oh, of course! This is F1! Right, sorry, scrap all that.

:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
For a guy usually pretty grounded, your getting quite tedious lately.

I'm sure F1 would be much better with Mercedes having a 20 point head start. 40 if you did both fastest lap and pole. Because nobody has complained that dominance is boring at all... :rolleyes:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
For a guy usually pretty grounded, your getting quite tedious lately.

So stick me on your ignore list. That's what it's there for :)

Or grow a sense of humour about this ****, and realise that TPTB are never going to sort out F1. It's all just a bunch of crap. Let it wither on the vine and die, at least then something half decent might appear out of the wreckage.

Soldato
So stick me on your ignore list. That's what it's there for :)

Or grow a sense of humour about this ****, and realise that TPTB are never going to sort out F1. It's all just a bunch of crap. Let it wither on the vine and die, at least then something half decent might appear out of the wreckage.
What will appear will be a championship run by the teams, even more so than it is at the moment. We'll have driver aids everywhere, no one will agree on anything (again, more so than currently) and all the money will go to the primary teams and with the fans will be left in the gutter.

I hate the way F1 is run at the moment, but I can't see any good coming from a meltdown.

Soldato
F1 will never disappear because somehow it's valued at a few billion dollars, so for it to die, someone would have to lose billions. Whoever it is is going to try very hard not to.

So the question is will they have to improve things and as we know one man's improvement is another man's disaster.

But anyway, it should not be valued as an entity, imagine if the premiere league could be sold lock stock and barrel.

Imagine the desperate measures that would be introduced to football to gain market share, apart from the fact football doesn't seem to have to try very hard anyway.
For the most part it just carries on as it always has done rule wise.

Soldato
What will appear will be a championship run by the teams, even more so than it is at the moment. We'll have driver aids everywhere, no one will agree on anything (again, more so than currently) and all the money will go to the primary teams and with the fans will be left in the gutter.

I hate the way F1 is run at the moment, but I can't see any good coming from a meltdown.

You're missing the bit where it all gets acrimonious a couple of years later and implodes a la DTM in the late 90s. ;)

Caporegime
You get more points for finishing higher now, which is exactly the same concept just over a longer duration.

Are you talking about the shift from 10 points for a win to 25?

Because that didn't increase the gap. It just scaled up at the same ratios to go from awarding 8 places to 10 to cope with the field growing from 20 to 26 (although only 24 ever arrived).

Soldato
Are you talking about the shift from 10 points for a win to 25?

Because that didn't increase the gap. It just scaled up at the same ratios to go from awarding 8 places to 10 to cope with the field growing from 20 to 26 (although only 24 ever arrived).

The field's been 26 before, it's more linked to increased reliability than anything else. Even then you had one-off non-points results determining where Caterham\Marussia\HRT finished in the championship for a few years.

Caporegime
The Championship has always been ordered by points and then by finishing positions for those with no points.

And points always used to mean something. I think it was something like your air freight was free if you had scored points or something like that (those older and wiser than me may know).

Caporegime
FIA = Retards

Formula 1 will run only two tests in 2016, both at Barcelona pre-season, AUTOSPORT has learned.

With a record-breaking 21-race calendar for next year on the cards, a decision has been taken to limit the number of test days in the build-up to the opening grand prix in Australia on April 3.

In stark contrast to recent seasons when three or four four-day pre-season tests have been held, the 10 teams will now have only eight days to prepare their cars before Melbourne.

Both tests will take place at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya, with the first from March 1-4 and the second running from March 15-18.

In another change, and for the first time since 2011, there will also be no in-season testing.

Teams have often used in-season tests over the past four years to give their reserve drivers a run out, or to run the rule over young up-and-coming names.

This year two two-day in-season tests took place at Barcelona, and also the Red Bull Ring in Austria, with a number of prospects given a chance.

But such an avenue for those looking to put themselves on the radar of F1's teams is blocked for next year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120046

Exactly what F1 needs... Less testing and no chance for any young drivers! GG FIA :rolleyes:

Soldato
The field's been 26 before, it's more linked to increased reliability than anything else. Even then you had one-off non-points results determining where Caterham\Marussia\HRT finished in the championship for a few years.

It got to about 40 in 1989. The cars from teams that placed below 26th overall in the last two half seasons had to pre-qualify first thing on a Friday. The fastest four went through into main qualifying, making 30 cars fighting over the 26 places on the grid.

In those days it was 9 points for a win down to a single point to 6th place. 9-6-4-3-2-1.

The Championship has always been ordered by points and then by finishing positions for those with no points.

And points always used to mean something. I think it was something like your air freight was free if you had scored points or something like that (those older and wiser than me may know).

Yup.

Caporegime
So they've cut testing to ram more races in at tracks nobody cares about?

/slow clap

Its a whole new level of stupid isn't it. The Honda and Renault woes this year alone show that the last thing F1 needs is less testing!

Also, the season is stupidly compressed next year too. From last year them starting testing in January, next year nothing happens until March.

Back
Top Bottom