• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia, stop being a **** please

Caporegime
It's not as if it's thousands of pounds, it's a few ton, your making it sound like you need to have wads of cash to run high end systems.:D

I'm a G-Sync user and the price premium is pathetic, I didn't have to buy it but after using FreeSync, it just had to be done.:D

I wasn't prepared to pay 1440p G-Sync premium, Nvidia/panel vendors can do one, besides-half of the 1440p ones get returned!:eek::p

*Course it's a joke

So 1080p it was when I saw a Predator deal elsewhere(that priced it a just a wee bit more than FreeSync panels) that more or less nullified the premium.

Ermmmm, the guys whining are making it sound like it is a fortune and you said your G-Sync monitor was really cheap second hand, so you had a good deal.

You wasn't prepared to pay for the premium, so you didn't and you got a second hand one, so win win for you no?

Honestly, this thread is top notch comedy and proper kept me entertained and good to see it has been pretty civil. I was expecting the worst but thankfully it hasn't happened. Ohhh and I am doing loads of research for my next video, which will be similar to the one in the OP but I bet it gets lots of dislikes lol :D

Caporegime
Regarding the frequency range on freesync as opposed to gsync. Is this at the discretion of the monitor manufacturers as there seems to be a wide range depending on vendor. Do AMD not have any say in this. All gsync screens seem to operate within the same range which I can only assume is part of NVIDIAS licensing agreement.

Associate
My experience of the private sector is that it's completely ruthless. It's employees, competitors, customers, and hosting countries legal systems and tax regimes are all equally targeted for getting screwed over at every given opportunity. I see nothing surprising here.

Soldato
OP
Regarding the frequency range on freesync as opposed to gsync. Is this at the discretion of the monitor manufacturers as there seems to be a wide range depending on vendor. Do AMD not have any say in this. All gsync screens seem to operate within the same range which I can only assume is part of NVIDIAS licensing agreement.

On the FreeSync side yes, who knows:p, yes.

Ermmmm, the guys whining are making it sound like it is a fortune and you said your G-Sync monitor was really cheap second hand, so you had a good deal.

You wasn't prepared to pay for the premium, so you didn't and you got a second hand one, so win win for you no?

Honestly, this thread is top notch comedy and proper kept me entertained and good to see it has been pretty civil. I was expecting the worst but thankfully it hasn't happened. Ohhh and I am doing loads of research for my next video, which will be similar to the one in the OP but I bet it gets lots of dislikes lol :D

Second hand, don't know how you worked that one out.:p

Mines was bought new, win win win.:D

Not wanting to pay a premium over something that doesn't warrant the premium over the alternative was what I was getting at-personal choice of what balances worth of value when opening my wallet.

It's always comedy gold just like you and everyone else only agree with their opinion.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Oh it will Greg, people will dislike it without even watching.

Agree on this thread being comedy gold, the title itself had me cracking up every time I saw it before the edit :D

You know that but I have thick skin (or just thick) and will be doing it non the less :D

I was surprised the title lasted that long before getting changed lol :D

@Tommy, apologies and I thought you got it from the MM. What one did you get out of interest?

Soldato
I assume you are referring to the Tomshardware article that compared two completely different spec monitors? For these tests to be truly objective they need to test monitors with a similar adaptive sync range. The freesync monitor they used topped out a 90Hz compared to 144Hz on the G-sync monitor and also had higher input lag. This resulted in the Freesnyc to cut out causing noticeable stutter and also higher input lag. Instantly this invalidates the test results. Not to mention there was no control group (non adaptive-sync monitor).

I will openly admit that G-sync is overall a more refined tech but it is not worth a 30%+ premium IMHO. Ultimately it is possible to get fairly similar spec Freesync monitors for a considerable saving vs G-sync monitors. It is also possible to get on the Freesync bandwagon if you are a non-enthusiast gamer who doesn't like the idea of spending £260+ for a G-sync monitor before you even factor in the cost of a decent compatible GPU.

In fact for the price of the cheapest G-sync monitor alone (on OCUK), someone can get a decent AMD R9 380 GPU and a decent Freesync monitor for a similar price.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ess-graphics-card-11242-02-20g-gx-364-sp.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...descreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-035-ao.html

£280 for a decent Freesync monitor and a decent R9 380 GPU.

Or the cheapest G-sync monitor for £260
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...en-led-monitor-black-red-um.fb-mo-079-ac.html

Yes the G-sync monitor goes to 144Hz but considering this is aimed at the mid range gamer they are not going to be likely to afford a high end GPU that gets near that FPS at 1080p.

This is where the benefits of Freesnyc show, by enabling people to get on the adaptive sync bandwagon without paying through the nose for it. G-sync by virtue of cost alone has set itself as a niche product. I do still see it surviving in that niche for years to come but Freesync is already far more established for choice and price.

Consumer based tests were conducted by particular vendors which I'm not at liberty to discuss in depth or I would have. The Toms test is dated however AMD were quick to try and smudge the polls they conducted there too. The VRR range distinction goes a lot deeper than simply ones opinion which leads to endless circles especially with users who haven't tested both technologies to a large enough degree. Below the panel threshold for variable RR G-Sync relies on the ASIC to enable it to store frame data - Freesync doesn't have these luxuries which means any attempt at this has a real threat of adding DPC latency on top of what is already there as everything is done in the driver instead of at the display output. Anyone who has an understanding should realise why this before you even go anywhere is at a disadvantage.

I've already mentioned the certification threshold as to why cheaper screens are available, and I don't think this upsets many people as that price range and panel spec is a smaller market SKU than you'll probably care to agree with however those are the facts. More panels are able to accommodate the standard certification from VESA, and it is cheaper - but cheaper is rarely better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Consumer based tests were conducted by particular vendors which I'm not at liberty to discuss in depth or I would have. The Toms test is dated however AMD were quick to try and smudge the polls they conducted there too. The VRR range distinction goes a lot deeper than simply ones opinion which leads to endless circles especially with users who haven't tested both technologies to a large enough degree. Below the panel threshold for variable RR G-Sync relies on the ASIC to enable it to store frame data - Freesync doesn't have these luxuries which means any attempt at this has a real threat of adding DPC latency on top of what is already there as everything is done in the driver instead of at the display output. Anyone who has an understanding should realise why this before you even go anywhere is at a disadvantage.

None of which addresses my main point. Namely that the objectively better tech in G-sync does not warrant a 30% increase in cost. The main thing is that G-Sync is not a massively superior tech that would warrant the 30% premium.

"I will openly admit that G-sync is overall a more refined tech but it is not worth a 30%+ premium IMHO".

I've already mentioned the certification threshold as to why cheaper screens are available, and I don't think this upsets many people as that price range and panel spec is a smaller market SKU than you'll probably care to agree with however those are the facts. More panels are able to accommodate the standard certification from VESA, and it is cheaper - but cheaper is rarely better.

It's better because it is cheaper to implement and marginally inferior at worst and that is better for the majority of end users. I would bet that there is a much larger market for Freesync than for G-sync, hence the far larger selection of Freesync panels in a far shorter time frame.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Consumer based tests were conducted by particular vendors which I'm not at liberty to discuss in depth or I would have.

If you put both solutions under the microscope, they both win/lose to a degree on features-personal choice dictates which one wins for them.

With the amount of coin manufacturers invest on product development, it's looking like FreeSync is the no1 choice for VRR investment, the numbers don't lie,

The Toms test is dated however AMD were quick to try and smudge the polls they conducted there too. The VRR range distinction goes a lot deeper than simply ones opinion which leads to endless circles especially with users who haven't tested both technologies to a large enough degree.

Not the Tom's 90Hz v 144Hz vrr range one again, TH smudged it themselves:o
-like for like instead of wasting our time(I still can't believe that test still gets pushed as an Nvidia plus).

I've used both of them on 144Hz, and they both do the same thing, if you are looking for who makes the uber solution, it's obvious with their higher vrr range on the ultra panels it's in Nvidia's hands, but that's the lowest selling panels, the majority sold will be/are the ones aimed at the masses-1080/1440p.

:cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting video, might start forcing tesselation limits in games now see if it gives much of a performance kick in *cough*ubisoft*cough* titles.

One might wonder if there's perhaps some fault from the games makers here, after all they're the ones who implement the technologies from either side which ends up harming the other, if they stuck with neutral technologies until suchtimes as the big 2 get along they won't have to take flak themselves for being in bed with either the green or red teams.

Soldato
None of which addresses my main point. Namely that the objectively better tech in G-sync does not warrant a 30% increase in cost. The main thing is that G-Sync is not a massively superior tech that would warrant the 30% premium.

"I will openly admit that G-sync is overall a more refined tech but it is not worth a 30%+ premium IMHO".

It's better because it is cheaper to implement and marginally inferior at worst and that is better for the majority of end users. I would bet that there is a much larger market for Freesync than for G-sync, hence the far larger selection of Freesync panels in a far shorter time frame.

No the larger number of panels is licensing as it's open. The market isn't bigger for freesync as nvidia have a larger share of the market. Looking at steam stats very few people in the sample have a R9 300 series card but the 970 is the most used card from the sample. (yes i'm aware that it's not surveying everyone)

It may not be worth the premium in your opinion but it's selling just fine. Gibbo has sold over 200 of those dells over the weekend. and nearly 3000 Rog PG278Q Swifts since they were introduced. The best selling 27" monitor by a country mile. In contrast the best selling freesync 27" is Benq with about 15% of the swifts sales Admittedly the swift had a headstart but since it's 30% cheaper and only marginally worse whats a few months......

Soldato
OP
It may not be worth the premium in your opinion but it's selling just fine. Gibbo has sold over 200 of those dells over the weekend. and nearly 3000 Rog PG278Q Swifts since they were introduced. The best selling 27" monitor by a country mile. In contrast the best selling freesync 27" is Benq with about 15% of the swifts sales Admittedly the swift had a headstart but since it's 30% cheaper and only marginally worse whats a few months......

Lols, youv'e just supplied figures that reveal the general state of the majority of peoples unwillingness to pay the G-Sync premium(rog selling just fine) vs willingness to purchase when the premium is discounted(Dell flying out the door).:p

Soldato
No the larger number of panels is licensing as it's open. The market isn't bigger for freesync as nvidia have a larger share of the market. Looking at steam stats very few people in the sample have a R9 300 series card but the 970 is the most used card from the sample. (yes i'm aware that it's not surveying everyone)

Marketshare clearly means nothing to the majority of vendors or they would be jumping over each other to release G-sync monitors. The numbers of panels available is far more telling than some figures from OCUK, well because OCUK are not the only monitor retailer in the world are they?

Right now both G-sync and Freesync are niche compared to non adaptive sync monitors. The fact that Intel have declared they will eventually support the VESA adaptive Sync standard and the cheaper buy in price pretty much assures that Freesync will eventually become far more mainstream.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Good info that and quite surprised. Goes to show that people are happy to pay the premium with near 3K original swifts sold :cool: I expected more sales on the Freesync range (BenQ) in truth and only 15% the amount of the Swifts is quite crap really.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That wasn't an overall indication of FS sales, but understand it's an easily confusable assumption to make.

X amount are happy to pay the premium, but 4 times as many are happier paying the discounted price, win win for G-Sync adopters.

Back
Top Bottom