Pic: Your desk...RIGHT NOW

I really would like to know how all you guys setup the LED lights behind your screens, looks very cool :(

USB RGB controlled strips are great too. I've used several connected to an old, powered USB hub which is connected to an RF controlled plug socket I had knocking around - handy for turning on and off easily. The good thing about multiple strips is that different colours can be used for a more interesting effect and the brightness can also be controlled independently. It also means that there aren't a bunch of wires connecting everything together.

I recently added some to the back of the monitor (both vertically and horizontally using 90 degree connectors) under the desk surface and under the PC stand I built and behind the monitor shelf pointing upwards.

It's a little garish with the lights off but I usually have the lights on anyway:

P1070862.jpg

P1070866.jpg

USB RGB controlled strips are great too. I've used several connected to an old, powered USB hub which is connected to an RF controlled plug socket I had knocking around - handy for turning on and off easily. The good thing about multiple strips is that different colours can be used for a more interesting effect and the brightness can also be controlled independently. It also means that there aren't a bunch of wires connecting everything together.

I recently added some to the back of the monitor (both vertically and horizontally using 90 degree connectors) under the desk surface and under the PC stand I built and behind the monitor shelf pointing upwards.

Thanks both. Is there any particular model or make I should be looking for?

Are mains ones better than USB ones?

Thanks both. Is there any particular model or make I should be looking for?

Are mains ones better than USB ones?

I can't say I've noticed much difference between mains powered and USB tbh. The latter are more than bright enough for me - the pictures I posted show some of them at a reduced brightness.

Many will come with a remote and IR sensor to change the brightness / colour - if you're intending to just attach to the back of the monitor then that could be useful. Others will come with the function controls on the strip itself - I have both types.

The USB ones I bought are currently going for about £8 at the rain forest (90 cm strip).

Edit - just look for ones with a decent rating and seem to have a good adhesive.

Last edited:
Its interesting to note these Smart LED type setups...
Do they really make a difference compared to just Vanilla plain standard LED strips?

Also, I noticed some setups having LED strips running at the top edge and bottom edge of the monitors, is this a little overkill as the brightness of the light could potentially overshadow the content on screen?

Haha, there's a sofa that's not in the pic, it's a little high but can't have everything in 2 bed flat. Plan is to buy a house next year with a cellar and make that into my man cave/ cinema room/ bar. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom