• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
No, you can only play games on Intel's quad cores remember. Remember to set to 720P and aim for 250FPS low graphical settings. That's the only way to play games.

We must all remember Synthetics, real world programs situations. Benchmarks, workstation and pricing oh and TDP stuff are irrelevant, Intel wins at 720P at that is the ONLY thing that counts.

What about the games tested at 1080p where an R7 1800X is slower than my ancient Core i7 and I do sadly play a number of them?? No we are obviously morons,who are playing the wrong types of games!! :rolleyes:

Is it too much to ask for a new AMD CPU at launch to do better in some of those games - instead of being mocked about it??

Soldato
In fairness the only reason Joker put out 720p videos is because people were crying that at 1080p High/Ultra he was causing a GPU bottleneck to try and make Ryzen look better than the 7700K.

There have been a few though with some people saying don't buy it based on 720p performance.

Don
Here are my Cinebench single thread and multi 5960x @3.5Ghz scores with XMP 3200MHZ CL16 DDR4 for comparison.

TvdXDe5.jpg

tbzLyBH.jpg

MT
1617 = @5960x @4Ghz with tuned DDR4 @CL15
1409 = @5960x @3.5Ghz with XMP DDR4 @CL16

ST
137 = @5960x @3.5Ghz with XMP DDR4 @CL16

I will add the 4Ghz ST score shortly.

Benched any games yet Matt, I am hovering over the order button.

Soldato
In fairness the only reason Joker put out 720p videos is because people were crying that at 1080p High/Ultra he was causing a GPU bottleneck to try and make Ryzen look better than the 7700K.

Its getting increasing annoying that some are taking zero criticism for these CPUs - everybody who does not play games which run well on Ryzen or are not the latest multi-threaded monsters should shut up even when its obvious it does fairly poorly in some major titles.

Even I was saying I didn't expect AMD to be SKL level in IPC or KL level in clockspeeds,but seriously in a number of games performance can regress to SB/IB levels.

Now we are living in the hope MS will fix the scheduler and the motherboard companies will fix the BIOSes.

If those fixes suddenly add a reasonable amount of performance I will be a happy moose,but if not there is zero reason for me to buy one,since there is no guarantee the performance will improve.

That means I will be waiting for Ryzen 2 next year.

Associate
Here are my Cinebench single thread and multi 5960x @3.5Ghz scores with XMP 3200MHZ CL16 DDR4 for comparison.

TvdXDe5.jpg

tbzLyBH.jpg

MT
1617 = @5960x @4Ghz with tuned DDR4 @CL15
1409 = @5960x @3.5Ghz with XMP DDR4 @CL16

ST
137 = @5960x @3.5Ghz with XMP DDR4 @CL16

I will add the 4Ghz ST score shortly.

My 1700 @ 4.0Ghz Single Thread.

RAM at 2400Mhz CL16

ST score = 160
MT score = 1716

0Qq7T18.png

Associate
I was thinking of cancelling my pre-order but most of these reviewers are clueless.

Im confident that in a month sentiment will change, a lot. Waiting for my cpu and board to ship and show those lousy reviewers a lesson or two :)

Caporegime
Benched any games yet Matt, I am hovering over the order button.

I don't have a Ryzen CPU or system yet mate. Shocking when you consider i work for AMD. :( :D

That said, i should get a 1700 on Monday, but looks like i might be waiting a while to get a Asus Crosshair VI Hero motherboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Its getting increasing annoying that some are taking zero criticism for these CPUs - everybody who does not play games which run well on Ryzen or are not the latest multi-threaded monsters should shut up even when its obvious it does fairly poorly in some major titles.

Even I was saying I didn't expect AMD to be SKL level in IPC or KL level in clockspeeds,but seriously in a number of games performance can regress to SB/IB levels.

Now we are living in the hope MS will fix the scheduler and the motherboard companies will fix the BIOSes.

If those fixes suddenly add a reasonable amount of performance I will be a happy moose,but if not there is zero reason for me to buy one,since there is no guarantee the performance will improve.

That means I will be waiting for Ryzen 2 next year.

It's 8c16t, it does a lot better than most thought. It is not a 7700K competitor and had a few issues to iron out, as most new architectures do.

Relax for a few weeks, see what happens then buy a 7700K ;)

Soldato
Lol, do it. I really want a Ryzen system now, first time since I bought my 2500K. Shame I'm skint until I've paid for my last hobby splurge ;)

I honestly think you lose nothing from waiting since due to the hype at a new launch since:
1.)The scheduler needs to work properly under Windows 10 and MS needs to fix it
2.)The motherboards are buggy so we might be loosing performance in games
3.)Games are not fully taking advantage of the uarch according to AMD

Hopefully in a few months,things will have evened out a bit and you will have a more mature platform.

Soldato
It's 8c16t, it does a lot better than most thought. It is not a 7700K competitor and had a few issues to iron out, as most new architectures do.

Relax for a few weeks, see what happens then buy a 7700K ;)

Its not even that - I want to support AMD more than Intel since I feel I would be stealing from the poor to feed the rich if I get a Core i7(AGAIN)!!

:p

However, I think people trying to bury the issues is not helping as it gives AMD an excuse to not bother working on them in any reasonable time-frame.

Luckily for me,and in hindsight perhaps the delay in mini-ITX motherboards is a good thing,so will have to look back in a few months time to see if things have improved or not.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
I don't have a Ryzen CPU or system yet mate. Shocking when you consider i work for AMD. :( :D

That said, i should get a 1700 on Monday, but looks like i might be waiting a while to get a Asus Crosshair VI Hero motherboard.
i would post a gif but scared of being told off
so just *hugs*

Back
Top Bottom