• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
The R5 1600 is looking like a beast. It should clock to the same as my Westmere-EP part, has the same number of cores and threads, yet will have far better IPC (including newer instruction sets) and much lower power consumption. All for the same price as an i7-920 back in 2009 (~£220).

Associate
Those prices are known for a while now. No surprise there. and i think they will do the same clocks as the bigger ones, AMD just hold them back at stock to keep them chew up the big ones sales.

Soldato
The R5 1600 is looking like a beast. It should clock to the same as my Westmere-EP part, has the same number of cores and threads, yet will have far better IPC (including newer instruction sets) and much lower power consumption. All for the same price as an i7-920 back in 2009 (~£220).

The R5 1400 is going to be the part to look at - one of those with a RX480 or GTX1060 is going to make a solid gaming rig.

Soldato
4c/8t with more IPC than BW-E

No it isn't - if that is the case,a higher R7 1800X in gaming would would be faster than a Core i7 6900K especially with a higher clockspeed,except it isn't especially if you look at mixture of lightly threaded and threaded games. Please don't overhype it,otherwise it will be like the RX480 and people thinking at launch it would be a Fury X.

Edit!!

Even without any gaming fixes,a 4C/8T unlocked Ryzen fighting against a Core i5 7400 which has similar clockspeeds,means with an overclock AMD has not the potential to have a decent clockspeed advantage,but the SMT will help in certain games.

Last edited:
Associate
No it isn't - if that is the case,a higher R7 1800X in gaming would would be faster than a Core i7 6900K especially with a higher clockspeed,except it isn't especially if you look at mixture of lightly threaded and threaded games. Please don't overhype it,otherwise it will be like the RX480 and people thinking at launch it would be a Fury X.

Don't under-hype it?

As far as I've seen Zen is higher IPC than BW-E, other than in games. Many reviewers have even written exactly that in their reviews.

And the gaming situation is still in limbo. The current opinion is that games have been optimised for Intel over the years, and Zen is different enough to need patches to be used to its full potential

Soldato
Don't under-hype it?

As far as I've seen Zen is higher IPC than BW-E, other than in games. Many reviewers have even written exactly that in their reviews.

And the gaming situation is still in limbo. The current opinion is that games have been optimised for Intel over the years, and Zen is different enough to need patches to be used to its full potential

No,because you are on purpose over-hyping like with the RX480,and when it does not meet YOUR over-hyping it WILL be BW+ level IPC in gaming,you will only cause people to start getting dissapointed for no reason in it and I started the review thread,so I do have a clue of how IPC does look like which fits to what I said it would be like MONTHs ago in non-gaming scenarios.

Remember,AMD has a more efficient SMT implementation in non-gaming scenarios than Intel,so its not really BW+ plus once you look at core IPC,which is not the same thing.

This is part of the reason why you see in certain scenarios,performance looks worse and in other scenarios it punches well above its weight.

Edit!!

I give you an example - look at video encoders. They can use SMT quite well,so Ryzen can even beat an Intel Core i7 6950K.

Now move over to stuff like Lightroom,etc - you find it does not use SMT as well,so IPC looks worse.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom