Dashcams!

Commissario
Does the camera come with a forcefield or something then? How would it have prevented that?!
It wouldn't have prevented an accident, but would have helped prove exactly who was at fault, and given the (low) standard of driving that seems to be common in that area and how busy it is I really just want something that will help settle any arguments if I'm unlucky enough to be in an accident (or witness one).
It also happens to be one of the areas with the highest cash for crash incidents in the country, which also factored in the decision.

I'd been looking at getting one for weeks, that trip was basically the final straw.

good choice WW :)

Make sure you download the latest firmware, it improves wifi connectivity
Ah I shall do that tonight, I was rather unimpressed with the connection to the app but put it down to the application/tablet.

Underboss
WW i had a similar experience, cant remember if i had my F770 then or not but a bike over took a car on a bend coming towards me, i missed him, just.

and another bike , i was in a 50 zone, doing just over 50 and he overtook me, so clearly speeding. we go into a 30 zone with speed bumps, and hes over taking cars that are doing 30 avoiding the bumps and narrowly missing cars coming the other way. Caught it all on camera.

Commissario
I just checked the footage from the 770 and the PQ is very good, although unfortunately due to the way the car windscreen is angled I do have it showing a fair bit of dash at the bottom.
I've got it set up in front of the rear view mirror, which means it's very hard to see from outside the car and isn't in my eyeline, whilst also not being blocked by the wipers etc.

I was slowing in that pic because just behind the car is a crossroads and people pull out without looking, or realising there are cars coming as the view is obscured (I've just passed a bend).

Soldato
Just bought a cheap Apeman C550 for now. Don't really have enough spare cash to chuck at a thinkware 770. Maybe when I finally get my insurance payout ill get one. This should tied me over, it seems ok in reviews.
Night time and Sun sets don't look great, but I don't drive much then. It's a nice small unit and should tuck away neatly. Will look at hardworking it too.

Associate
Really liking the Garmin 55 now, was contemplating sending it back as it was turning off on hot days as the overheating protection temperature was set far to low. The last update has fixed it and now running as it should.

Short clip to show the quality in bright sunlight.

Associate
My dashcam (DR32) has killed a Samsung 32gb MicroSD card within ~3 years of daily use. Reading about, I don't think standard consumer grade cards are designed for the constant over write usage a dashcam subjects them to.
Can anyone report similar or had any better luck?

Soldato
I currently have DP200, don't have any issues with it but it is a bit big, where it is positioned it blocks the light sensor on the back of my rear view mirror. The DAB antenna is in my rear screen (no visible antenna) so not sure if a rear one would cause issues? Not too bothered tbh.

What's the best slimline camera? No real budget. The F770 looks good but not sure if I need a rear camera. I do have a hardwired cable in, do they all use the same connector?

Associate
I just checked the footage from the 770 and the PQ is very good, although unfortunately due to the way the car windscreen is angled I do have it showing a fair bit of dash at the bottom.
I've got it set up in front of the rear view mirror, which means it's very hard to see from outside the car and isn't in my eyeline, whilst also not being blocked by the wipers etc.
<snip>
I was slowing in that pic because just behind the car is a crossroads and people pull out without looking, or realising there are cars coming as the view is obscured (I've just passed a bend).

Should you be able to read the number plate from the picture above?

For me a dashcam is only going to be truly useful if you can clearly and positively identify a vehicle (and individuals) from the footage. So much of the examples I see are not good enough to work out it was a red/white/yellow car that hit me :(

This is especially true at night or in the rain.

A bit like the usual crimestoppers CCTV footage "we think from the CCTV it was 3x people, maybe..."

Are there much more expensive options that allow for 8m-10m of clarity to read a number plate?

Commissario
That's a bit before he gets close enough for the plate to be fully legible (pic chosen due to choo choo:p) about one or two frames later his plate is readable (one letter is a little hard), one of the first things I did after fitting it was to check the plates and if they can be read.
For example that plate was LV17 ***.

Caporegime
Should you be able to read the number plate from the picture above?

For me a dashcam is only going to be truly useful if you can clearly and positively identify a vehicle (and individuals) from the footage. So much of the examples I see are not good enough to work out it was a red/white/yellow car that hit me :(

This is especially true at night or in the rain.

A bit like the usual crimestoppers CCTV footage "we think from the CCTV it was 3x people, maybe..."

Are there much more expensive options that allow for 8m-10m of clarity to read a number plate?

Ideally as much detail as possible but most accident would happen, then you get out and then you would take more photos on your phone etc and can get all those more detailed shots, but then the dash cam will record the sequence of the accident.

Associate
Thanks Werewolf for adding that.

In my first post I was thinking in terms of hit and run type incidents, parking bumps and scrapes at odd angles, that kind of thing? I agree it's true that if you are totalled then yes you would follow up further details of the actual result of the accident.

Are there commercial setups that are £500+ or even £1000+ that offer super quality and long range readability vs the best of the home retail units costing £200-£300?

Commissario
I would imagine the quality of the systems can go up a lot, either using better cameras or more of them but then you start to run into issue with things like the storage requirements and processing power meaning bigger/more power hungry units and larger/more obvious cameras.

At the moment I suspect most of the standard units are limited in part by the wish/need to have them unobtrusive, whilst a truck or a bus can have larger camera without it causing an issue.

Associate
I would imagine the quality of the systems can go up a lot, either using better cameras or more of them but then you start to run into issue with things like the storage requirements and processing power meaning bigger/more power hungry units and larger/more obvious cameras.

My old camera when removing the card you will find it warm. The new ones the card is hot....very hot, they seem to run much hotter than they used to before and they are cutting down on cooling vents. Probably why mine used to cut out under it's thermal protection before they did a firmware update. The bonus is in parking mode the things will keep the front screen from freezing.:D

Back
Top Bottom