*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Folks, Im struggling a little with the HCS stuff.

I honestly thought it was install and job done.

But it seems that once I install the plugin and the pack. I then need to bind keys in Elite?
Is my understanding correct?

I don't understand why the bindings could automatically installed to save us from having to input them in manually?

I must be grasping the wrong end of the stick here Im sure...

Associate
Alright — ED in VR is INSANE, I can't describe how much I love it. Immersion on another level, especially not I've got the HOTAS, but — please, please, can someone tell me how on earth I am supposed to navigate the galaxy map....I have been trying to use my xbox controller, but with the Oculus app — this is somewhat skittish, and the controller shuts off at times. But, as you can imagine, this takes me out of the game somewhat, on other occasions, I find myself taking off the headset, switching to my desktop monitor and navigating with my mouse/keyboard....

Please help — there has to be some form of solution to this....

Soldato
But it seems that once I install the plugin and the pack. I then need to bind keys in Elite?
I think you do need to tell VoiceAttack which keys you have mapped to which commands in Elite, so that each voice command triggers the right thing. Not sure if it's up-to-date with the default keybindings, though. I'd assume not, just to be safe.

Found it and the Diamondback isn't quite as far.
I understood there was some reason/configuration that had the DBX slightly higher, which is why I bought one in the first place over the Asp. Maybe max upgrade without engineering, or summat. Can't remember back that far.
Certainly I get 37-odd Ly on just a standard build and it is much cheaper than an Asp.

Caporegime
Alright — ED in VR is INSANE, I can't describe how much I love it. Immersion on another level, especially not I've got the HOTAS, but — please, please, can someone tell me how on earth I am supposed to navigate the galaxy map....I have been trying to use my xbox controller, but with the Oculus app — this is somewhat skittish, and the controller shuts off at times. But, as you can imagine, this takes me out of the game somewhat, on other occasions, I find myself taking off the headset, switching to my desktop monitor and navigating with my mouse/keyboard....

The Glaxy map is a pain but you should be able to do it with your HOTAS or at least I do. I have the Saitek X52 and it works with no issues.

Associate
Shouldn't that be econmoical route rather than fastest? Doesn't it compute for shorter, more fuel efficient jumps that way?

It does but it will take them forever jumping around the place & won't affect actual jump range. Its mostly likely the guy in the video doesn't have an SRV (I say without checking :) ) and the route visibly changes in real time when switching between fastest & econ so it should be obvious what is going on.

Yep but only for functions you are going to use and you can just enter garbage as long as the key hasn't been assigned to some place else then each time you start ED say, 'import my control settings.'

I don't understand why the bindings could automatically installed to save us from having to input them in manually?

I would guess it's because not everyone uses the same control method. I use keyboard and mouse with the mouse mostly disabled for instance so if HCS tampered with my bind file it would likely take me way longer to correct all the changes than simply replacing all the blank entries with junk :)

Associate

I use my mouse the navigate the map in VR as I find that's most convenient/intuitive.

The problem with the mouse is selecting the system you want to navigate to. For this, I put the navigation 'circle' on or near the system using the mouse, and then tap the stick slightly on the HOTAS which then seems to select the system for you.

Soldato
I've had a couple of weeks doing passenger missions in my Asp Explorer, raking in the easy money :p

Fancy moving to some combat - Am I good to just equip my Asp with weapons or should I move to a different ship like the Vulture?

Soldato
Ok folks, nearly finished setting up my voice attack stuff... but just one question....

The Landing Gear toggling, if I say "landing gear down" and its already down then it will bring the landing gear up.

I remember that the beta version of Astra used to track "toggleability" for a want of a better word...

Is this still the case or have they removed it?

Associate
The Landing Gear toggling, if I say "landing gear down" and its already down then it will bring the landing gear up.

Not sure tbh but it's the same with Lights On etc so I just replaced the sounds in the VoiceAttack profile with the generic phrases, eg so when you say Deploy Landing Gear it just says 'Landing Gear' or a combination you create such as 'Landing Gear, Affirmative.' The generic sounds can be found in…
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\Sounds\hcspack\Take Off and Landing
… and similar folders.

Associate

I remember that the beta version of Astra used to track "toggleability" for a want of a better word...

Is this still the case or have they removed it?

Like Neowave I also just make the landing gear and lihts commands generic and just know that I may already have them down and will have to redeploy them.
However, having said that , I have a feeling that Voice Attack can track a global variable that could be flagged as a boolean, on/off counter.
Then when ever the command is called it knows what the current situation is and will say the correct thing. But I'm being lazy and haven't checked this :)

Soldato
9%, not exactly a controlling share is it, no doubt the cash will come in handy though...
"that the company was in the process of developing a new game based on a 'well known' movie franchise"
I'd love it if this turned out to be a new Wing Commander game!!!

Given that it tends to be one button for On and Off, I don't see how it can unless it reads states from the game... and ISTR FD clamping down on third party apps doing such things, mainly the trade apps.

Associate
Started up again last night after a month or 2 break and whilst landing on a planet got swiped by some random fast moving object that wiped me out in one hit and caused the port to shoot my corpse.....I was still above 100m/s as I wasn't that close to my landing pad at the time so I see plenty of fines scroll by the screen.

Quite annoyed to lose that 13M rebuy to be honest especially as I've no idea what hit me, it looked like a ship does when in super cruise...

Associate
Started up again last night after a month or 2 break and whilst landing on a planet got swiped by some random fast moving object that wiped me out in one hit and caused the port to shoot my corpse.....I was still above 100m/s as I wasn't that close to my landing pad at the time so I see plenty of fines scroll by the screen.

Quite annoyed to lose that 13M rebuy to be honest especially as I've no idea what hit me, it looked like a ship does when in super cruise...

sounds like the skimmer dropping from the sky bug..

raise a ticket with support and they'll refund you the rebuy and any cargo you had

Back
Top Bottom