What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
It's funny how much crap you need to often drag out of the garage for a simple brake job isn't it :D

Even worse when you keep most of your stuff in the loft

Running up and down a ladder all day, attempting not to make a mess of the house in the process.

Not my car, but had a poke round a new Fiesta at the weekend. Hugely unimpressed tbh, when ours finally gets replaced I don't think it will be with the newer generation.

Interior style a definite overall improvement but they have gone with a tablet thing which is (imo) unforgivable and will date really quickly. Quality of the rest of the interior (doors/front seats back) still quite poor whilst the likes of the new Micra or ibiza have moved things on a bit. Also expected it to feel a bit bigger than the current car but it's near identical - suppose this could be seen as a good or bad point.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's funny how much crap you need to often drag out of the garage for a simple brake job isn't it :D

I agree there! I try and make sure I've got everything I need so I don't have to traipse to and fro getting something. First bit of dry weather and I'll be stripping it all down again to do the wheel bearings:

y4mvONunmnRv3GZsn6eWfuB2AAZjv-_HJA_4DKI28v-E-cDdLX8y4a4d2bdXHoi4bViDSzMnSGqlwMHybMWyndtuBfTQhVXRFamcJRem8k4rY-jpSZ-x96zPERM5kfcKm1aieOas6PK7sqmsa_S1ijRRdh6ddaOefw3ebADeILsXFnA2HEielzXLdp-DmaSJuBqZKKNXf-QLyHQt1bnqopxwg

I put a short video on youtube of the offending bearing. Listen to it, I reckon it's goosed so it and it's twin brother will be replaced.

Soldato
Not my car, but had a poke round a new Fiesta at the weekend. Hugely unimpressed tbh, when ours finally gets replaced I don't think it will be with the newer generation.

Interior style a definite overall improvement but they have gone with a tablet thing which is (imo) unforgivable and will date really quickly. Quality of the rest of the interior (doors/front seats back) still quite poor whilst the likes of the new Micra or ibiza have moved things on a bit. Also expected it to feel a bit bigger than the current car but it's near identical - suppose this could be seen as a good or bad point.

I felt exactly the same as you, coming from a last gen fiesta and reading the reviews I was expecting a big leap on. However, one of the main things you touch, the door handle openy bit (no idea what it's name is), is the same incredibly brittle plastic. Seems like a bit of an oversight.

I quite liked the Sync 3 system that was in the car I sat in, massive improvement over the 2006 phone style system.

Associate
Turns out the vvt was weak from factory.

Mazda fixed it. But didn't issue a recall.

They made it a 50k service item instead

Interesting approach!

"Hmm, weakness in this part, we should do a recall and sort it"

"Don't be daft, lets add it to the service schedule and let the customer pay for it rather than us!"

Soldato
They are hardly the only manufacturer with problematic VVT systems and/or chain stretch/snapping issues. BMW have a long history of VANOS issues and ofc the N47 chain snapping saga. VAG have taken a fair bit of heat over known chain issues. Nissan have plenty of noisy VCT, Toyota have plenty of rattly VVTi, heck even Honda have chain stretch issues. Can't really point the finger at Mazda for not recalling it.
Just because an engine is chain drive certainly doesn't mean it is maintenance free or in any way bulletproof.

Associate
Indeed, my 3 year old DS3 had to have the chain and tensioners changed under warranty due to them developing the death rattle, and I've always considered VANOS seals a service item on any older BMW my family have purchased.

Wasn't a dig at Mazda as such, at least they've acknowledged it may be a weak point and advised customers to have remedial work done.

Associate
Just spent nearly £2k on the Clio :eek:

Should see me good for, well, forever.

Gearbox rebuild
Cambelt kit change
Manifold fitting
Clutch
Inner tie rod and tracking
and all associated parts (pulleys, syncro's etc)

Caporegime
Just spent nearly £2k on the Clio :eek:

Should see me good for, well, forever.

Gearbox rebuild
Cambelt kit change
Manifold fitting
Clutch
Inner tie rod and tracking
and all associated parts (pulleys, syncro's etc)

You could have bought a 182 as a backup car for that much :eek: :p

Hopefully it serves you well now though!

Man of Honour
20170808_192316.jpg

Cleaned the intake cone couple days ago. I should probably do this more than just twice yearly as there were quite a few bug parts in there and other debris. The MAF was also dirty with a layer of light dust.

Need to email Evolve about the foam ring that runs around the end of the cone edge, which has perished in some places. I know Evolve updated some parts in later revisions, wonder if I got one of the earlier ones.

Wish I could just get the whole plenum intake kit to replace it:

evolve_carbon_airbox_installed.jpg

But at £3k, I can't stomach spending that much on a 12yr old car. Maybe if it was a CS....

Man of Honour
These things would still hold decent value, but the problem is that if that time ever comes, then who am I going to be selling to? The only E46s left will be in the hands of ultra enthusiasts and bone-stock purists. The remaining shoddy examples will be in the hands of people who don't want to spend more than a tuppence on modifications. So it would all be for my own enjoyment really!

Said this elsewhere, but in hindsight, I should have just bought a CS/L - Would have been a more cost effective affair thinking long term!

Still, what's done is done, and I'm still enjoying this car.

Back
Top Bottom