The Evil Within 2 (Friday 13th October 2017!!!)

Soldato
It's worse. Very difficult to put things together, story-wise.

But the gameplay, progression systems, atmosphere and horror are all excellent.

Pretty much all the story has been put into the Kidman DLC. After playing those the story is actually super simple to understand :)

Soldato
I might give it a go if the gameplay is as good as it sounds. I'm assuming the dlc is a must then?

The game is amazing. DLC is a must if you want to understand the story (but play it after). I did not like it as much as the main game, but it is still good.

Soldato
I second everything these guys are saying - brilliant game and the DLC explains the story afterwards. I've just pre-ordered The Evil Within 2 for £25 of CDkeys (great value!). I had Wolfenstein 2 on pre-order with them (only £27.50) but bought the Vega 64 AIO pack which included Wolfenstein 2 so got a refund and used those funds. CDkeys responded to my refund request email and had the funds back in my Paypal account within 20 minutes - how's that for great service?!

Man of Honour
I hope they have changed things slightly from the first game. Whilst I enjoyed what I played of the first game, I was only able to last about 7 hours before I just became far too annoyed that my detective was unable to run (and not even particularly fast running) more than about 20 metres without then bending over unable to move. Hell, I am unfit as hell but even I am entirely capable of sprinting further than 20m without becoming incapacitated. I wish I had been able to continue and complete the game as the story was quite interesting but that annoyance and sheer frustration from it just grew and grew over the hours until I was so utterly sick of having the physical ability of a geriatric, weighed down with rocks, climbing mount everest, barefoot...that I couldnt bear it any longer and uninstalled.

Soldato
OP
I hope they have changed things slightly from the first game. Whilst I enjoyed what I played of the first game, I was only able to last about 7 hours before I just became far too annoyed that my detective was unable to run (and not even particularly fast running) more than about 20 metres without then bending over unable to move. Hell, I am unfit as hell but even I am entirely capable of sprinting further than 20m without becoming incapacitated. I wish I had been able to continue and complete the game as the story was quite interesting but that annoyance and sheer frustration from it just grew and grew over the hours until I was so utterly sick of having the physical ability of a geriatric, weighed down with rocks, climbing mount everest, barefoot...that I couldnt bear it any longer and uninstalled.
One of the key gameplay mechanics though so you could not just run away all the time!!

Soldato
One of the key gameplay mechanics though so you could not just run away all the time!!
Yes as above, particularly when you had the option to upgrade your sprint time but at a significant cost. I only recall one part of the game where having an extended sprint time would have been of real benefit - that chainsaw boss in a fairly confined space on the level where you're getting shot at with the bolts. Took me a good few attempts to get past that one!

Soldato
that trailer looks a bit action heavy for me, hope they keep close to the roots of the first one.........including the running.
I don't think they'll change the formula - like the first one, I think it will be a mix up with some levels more action intensive than others. I hope so anyway, with Resident Evil seemingly going in another direction, The Evil Within is the only game providing that 3rd person survival horror fix that Dead Space and RE4, 5 and to a lesser extent 6 (yes I know it was flawed but I still largely enjoyed it) delivered. Don't get me wrong, I though RE7 was brilliant, I just also love the format of the 3 games previous to that. Actually had another playthrough of RE5 a couple of months back and loved every minute of it.

Man of Honour

Yeah, its a crutch in the game which is needed, otherwise the player would just outsmart the horrors, I can understand that. It just frustrates the hell out of me that I can run 20 metres and then am incapicitated. I may have to just accept that its a game mechanic choice which spoils the game for me. Pity tho.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, its a crutch in the game which is needed, otherwise the player would just outsmart the horrors, I can understand that. It just frustrates the hell out of me that I can run 20 metres and then am incapicitated. I may have to just accept that its a game mechanic choice which spoils the game for me. Pity tho.
Replay & upgrade carefully allows you to extend it a little though!

Soldato
OP
1 week to go system specs are up now...16GB Ram recommended. 40GB HD space is probably the base game as the first game came to 58.4GB after all season pass content was released.
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-evil-within-2-system-requirements-revealed/
https://bethesda.net/en/article/W1C...tails?utm_medium=bitly&utm_source=SocialMedia
PC Advanced Settings

• Overall Quality
  • LOD
  • Bloom
  • Object Motion Blur
  • Camera Motion Blur
  • Motion Blur Quality
  • DOF Quality
  • SSAO Quality
  • SSR Quality
  • Volumetric Light Quality
  • Shadow Quality
  • Anti-Aliasing
    • Disabled
    • FXAA
    • TAA
    • TAA+FXAA
  • FOV Slider (45 – 90)

Last edited:
Permabanned
First one was an underrated gem, pretty much the best Resident Evil game ever. The CGI trailer for this is fantastic piece of work as well. Really looking forward to this game.

Best ever? you must be crazy.

I love the RE franchise and The Evil Within was a buggy, crappy badly optimised mess when it was released and the game was mediocre at best.

The trailer for 2 looks good though, but it looks like one of those trailers that pretty much show off the best bits of a game and there is nothing more to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Best ever? you must be crazy.

I love the RE franchise and The Evil Within was a buggy, crappy badly optimised mess when it was released and the game was mediocre at best.

The trailer for 2 looks good though, but it looks like one of those trailers that pretty much show off the best bits of a game and there is nothing more to it.

TEW that I played was not buggy at all and ran at perfect 60fps. It also had awesome, varied level design and pitch perfectly tuned gameplay and difficulty, with each encounter leaving me scraping by just barely, always engaging.

Feel free to keep your wrong opinion though, I won't hold it against you.

Permabanned
TEW that I played was not buggy at all and ran at perfect 60fps. It also had awesome, varied level design and pitch perfectly tuned gameplay and difficulty, with each encounter leaving me scraping by just barely, always engaging.

Feel free to keep your wrong opinion though, I won't hold it against you.

I played it when it was first released when it was buggy and badly optimised. I didn't enjoy the game mainly because of these reasons.
It's also just Shinji Mikami's greatest hits. Seems a shame that he just wrapped up a bunch of moments and themes he's already done in other games in a new skin with clumsy game play rather than do something fresh.
There are far to many Code Veronica moments where you faced bosses that punish you by not saving enough but give no sense of when or if you even should prepare for them.
Horror devs forgot the two key parts of horror: dis-empowerment and ambiguity.
Also, we cannot be action heroes in these games, we need to be useless, helpless. Something isn't that scary if you know that you can do battle with it and win without much trouble. Even Leon in RE2 is pretty helpless because ammo is always a concern and no zombie is an easy target. In Amnesia you are totally helpless. In Silent Hill 2 you can fight off monsters but if they touch you then your doom is probably assured.
It's such a bizarre mix of great and awful ideas. The game was a huge disappointment for me. To call this the best Resident Evil is by far one of the most absurd things I've ever heard.

Opinions are subjective by the way ;)

Back
Top Bottom