• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: The Vega Review Thread.

What do we think about Vega?

• What has AMD been doing for the past 1-2 years?

• It consumes how many watts and is how loud!!!

• It is not that bad.

• Want to buy but put off by pricing and warranty.

• I will be buying one for sure (I own a Freesync monitor so have little choice).

• Better red than dead.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Caporegime
They keep doing this - the R9 290/290X were overvolted as well,and loads of people could drop power by a bit of undervolting. The same with their CPUs in the past too.

Could probably do the same with a lot of cpu's as well, there's probably a voltage range that the chips work within that just gets applied in the bios. Though i'm sure plenty could work lower than whats set at the factory.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Old tech? VEGA is top line in new technology right from the hardware. Only it's performance is matching Nvidia last year, but I honestly believe Vega needs new title to really showcase its full potential. Means waiting sadly.

450 for a reference is way over priced and I would never buy a reference cooler from either company. Unless I was maybe water cooling it.
I still don't see them catching up with a 1080Ti.

As you say, they are just to expensive right now and may even get more expensive with custom cards.

Have you considered going Volta or quitting PC gaming with AMD's recent behaviour with pricing Shankly?

Caporegime
They keep doing this - the R9 290/290X were overvolted as well,and loads of people could drop power by a bit of undervolting. The same with their CPUs in the past too.

The trouble is games are less demanding than stuff like compute so undervolting might not affect stability but if people run compute with too low a voltage you can get math errors. There's no way to tell really. Chip makers will generally go with a voltage that leaves some room for tolerance etc but if you remove that tolerance and get a minor dip in voltage you'll have errors happen.

Soldato
I still don't see them catching up with a 1080Ti.

As you say, they are just to expensive right now and may even get more expensive with custom cards.

Have you considered going Volta or quitting PC gaming with AMD's recent behaviour with pricing Shankly?

Can't see them ever catching 1080Ti but I can definitely see the Vega GPU doing better over time.

If you think I don't buy Nvidia just because of pricing you very mistaken mate.

While I have been very vocal about nvidia pricing in the past that isn't my reason for not buying.
And I have also shown AMD disagreement with pricing of Vega! But they is still so much up in air atm with this so I honestly not sure who to blame I also not been following all of it only watched Jay2cents video last night.

Man of Honour
Can't see them ever catching 1080Ti but I can definitely see the Vega GPU doing better over time.

If you think I don't buy Nvidia just because of pricing you very mistaken mate.

While I have been very vocal about nvidia pricing in the past that isn't my reason for not buying.
And I have also shown AMD disagreement with pricing of Vega! But they is still so much up in air atm with this so I honestly not sure who to blame I also not been following all of it only watched Jay2cents video last night.

I have no idea why you choose to buy one or another and don't really care - if people want to buy whatever that is their own business but after this launch IMO the lines between AMD and nVidia have blurred when it comes to the things I've been most critical of nVidia about i.e. contempt for their customers - with Vega they've deliberately tried to distort perceptions, basically lied at times, withheld information from and played other games with their loyal customers for their own agenda at times when there was plainly no reason to withhold it and so on. Those anti-nVidia and would never buy nVidia traditionally on point of principle for those kind of reasons really should be applying that to AMD now as well.

V F

V F

Soldato
Yeah gibbo said that there would be a free game coming with the 580 red devil on Wednesday or Thursday.

EDIT : didn't read the link correctly :D my bad

Hmm...

Those anti-nVidia and would never buy nVidia traditionally on point of principle for those kind of reasons really should be applying that to AMD now as well.

Well in that case they may as well quit gaming going by that principle. Oh no, the principles. If one was going to not purchase neither one may as well quit consoles as well.

You'd think marketing is a new thing to some people. This loyalty thing is a real hoot as well. There only is one loyalty. Them green paperbacks.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have no idea why you choose to buy one or another and don't really care - if people want to buy whatever that is their own business but after this launch IMO the lines between AMD and nVidia have blurred when it comes to the things I've been most critical of nVidia about i.e. contempt for their customers - with Vega they've deliberately tried to distort perceptions, basically lied at times, withheld information from and played other games with their loyal customers for their own agenda at times when there was plainly no reason to withhold it and so on. Those anti-nVidia and would never buy nVidia traditionally on point of principle for those kind of reasons really should be applying that to AMD now as well.

Might has well put it out there, I already have explained this enough in the past.
I would happily buy Nvidia tomorrow if they meet my expectations.
My very much prefer how Amd are always trying to push the industry forward, even if they don't succeed I.e TrueAudio
Low levels APIs, pushing to bring console development and PCs closer. New Memory technology etc Amd x64
This is the reason amd gets my money even if they not the best, they still matching Nvidia highend for performance "ignore" Ti and above that is a premium market. VEGA pricing isn't helping here tbh lol

They is no doubt Amd is the underdogs in the GPU market.

Now for Nvidia my dislike started years ago, with Physx I paid money for a GPU to use Physx with I think at the time 400 series amd and I can't remember what nvidia GPU but it wasn't highend but could do Physx, nvidia blocking that was the first step of dislike, over the years it's gotten worse with the more recent not wanting to help push forward Mantle/Vulkan or even trying and make there GPUs low levels ready "tuck how long for 600 series async support"
You then have Freesync monitor "Adaptive-Sync" that nvidia can dam well support Open source but refuses to this for me is a big one because if I could use Adaptive-Sync on my current monitor I could have very much been attempt to buy a nvidia GPU while I was waiting for Vega.
You then have the Titan series that for me should only be the premium GPU line up, releasing a GPU like the Ti and beating/matching the highest end GPU is very bad in my eyes.
My dislike for nvidia out number my dislike for AMD.
Anyway I don't want to drag this thread into a amd vs nvidia so let's leave it has that.

Permabanned
they still matching Nvidia highend for performance "ignore" Ti and above that is a premium market. VEGA pricing isn't helping here tbh lol

You can't ignore the Ti because it suits you. The fact is Vega is at anywhere from 1080 to 1080ti prices. £780 for a Vega All-in-one that should be priced against it's competitor not a flagship that performs well out of it's reach, You can buy aftermarket Ti's from £680-ish that's one hundred less, An EVGA 1080ti Hybrid SC2 only costs an additional 20 quid and a 1080 Hybrid is a couple of hundred less thhan the Vega AIO.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You can't ignore the Ti because it suits you. The fact is Vega is at anywhere from 1080 to 1080ti prices. £780 for a Vega All-in-one that should be priced against it's competitor not a flagship that performs well out of it's reach, You can buy aftermarket Ti's from £680-ish that's one hundred less, An EVGA 1080ti Hybrid SC2 only costs an additional 20 quid and a 1080 Hybrid is a couple of hundred less thhan the Vega AIO.
Reference 1080Ti' could be had for £580 a few months ago brand new also.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Pascal, it'll have to go some to catch Volta Ti, that'll be the next after Navi :p
In my imagination I see Navi coming out with a GPU that beats Volta Ti and costs £499 and we all cheer for AMD and Raja. They end up explaining how Vega was a stepping stone to Navi.

People like Flopper and DM come out the woodwork and become active once again showing they are proud to be AMD supporters :p

Back
Top Bottom