What did you do to your bike today?

Man of Honour
Thanks for that - ordered one and it arrived yesterday. Might I ask - did you use any of the included brackets for your chin mount, and if so, did you not trust the sticky pad (hence using sugru)?

You never put sugru directly onto a helmet. You use it to make a block that fits perfectly and then have a gopro style 3m foam pad to stick it to the helmet. The idea is to have a perfect flat spot for mounting the camera instead of a curved helmet.

Man of Honour
Interesting. Anything that I've seen said to put the sugru directly onto the helmet and press the flat base mount into the sugru and let cure. Working fine for me so far.

Do yourself a favour and never crash with your helmet setup like that! Non-removable protrusions are not a good idea on a helmet.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure there'd be that much actual difference between the sticking strength of sugru and the strength of the vhb 3m pads. I'd go as far as to say the 3m stuff may be stronger and therefore the exact opposite of what you want should the worst happen.

Man of Honour
Sugru will mould to the shape of the surface and let you build it, that's why I use it on my helmets, the 3m pads wouldn't stick to the mount and the helmet fully.

Helmet > 3m pad > sugru shaped block > 3m pad > GoPro style mount

Not Helmet > sugru shaped block > GoPro style mount

Associate
I just use Heavy Duty Velcro- plenty strong enough to hold the cam in place, but still removable and will easily come off in a spill. I use it to hold licence plates on without drilling on my cars and bikes too.

Soldato
Tried to start it and failed. I think the battery is dead because it’s been stood for 3 weeks while I’ve been at home(Bike lives at work) disconnected lights but still not starting. Ignition starts up fine and it primes, but when I press start switch it turns over but doesn’t.. ‘catch’ sorta thing. It was blown over in the wind over the 3 weeks, but I am right in thinking it’s low battery aren’t I?

Plugged into optimiser and it’s currently showing 11.8v which I find concerning as I’d expect it to start with that much.. that said, it would explain why ignition boots without a problem but not enough to start up.

Once it starts up, I then have to take it gently a mile or so down the road to get a new rear tyre because of a puncture :(

Keep telling myself this could have happened with any bike.. :(

Not a good day in the slightest :( I wanted to get the puncture sorted today as it’s 9 degrees and sunny tomorrow, which would be perfect to get the new tyre scrubbed in

Associate
Yeh sounds like your battery has had it. Don't know if it's a Suzuki thing but I've never known bikes to go through batteries like those.

With regards to sunny weather and scrubbing tyres in, just what I've been doing today (sorry to rub it in :D)

20180118.jpg

Soldato
Yeh sounds like your battery has had it. Don't know if it's a Suzuki thing but I've never known bikes to go through batteries like those.

With regards to sunny weather and scrubbing tyres in, just what I've been doing today (sorry to rub it in :D)

Looks like my neck of the woods sky's like that don't exist here :D was a nice day today must say.

Associate
I'm convinced something happened to batteries post year 2000! Since the early 90s I've always had 4+ bikes in the garage, some of them used very infrequently. Even if one had been dead for 3 months I'd plug a charger in for a quick boost and never look back. These days I must get through 5 batteries a year. Both our cars (also used infrequently) have solar chargers under the rear window because the batteries seem to die if I take my eyes off them for 5 minutes....

Soldato
11.8V is bad, it likely completely falls over when you start pulling on it, 12.6V is commonly considered minimum for a charged battery. If you can get your bike started check that your alternator is charging it. If battery isn't that new i'd just replace it, Halfords stock them for the SV so it's easy enough to get hold of one in a pinch. My SV battery did exactly the same, was showing just below 12V after charging but was unable to start the battery more than once, let it sit one day and it would die again.

Ok thanks ☺️ I’m going to carry on charging it tomorrow morning and if that’s not successful then I’ll phone breakdown and hope they have a battery onboard, or a better idea. Realistically how long should it take to charge from 11.8v back to a normal level? If it’s not totally goosed and just needs a charge it’d suck to buy a needless replacement.

Also going to try bump starting it

Back
Top Bottom