**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus Thread ****

Soldato
Upgrading my S7E to the 9+ and can't wait. Decent upgrade path for me, but like others have mentioned, it probably isn't worth an upgrade over the 8 series unless you really really love shiny new things.

Holy crap the forum has changed tons since I last used it!

Soldato
I've yet to see where all that extra CPU power on the iPhone X has become so blatantly obvious

I recall I think it was on the vergecast they discussed this and someone made the point that new devices (I'd say including the S9 etc) are released with huge amounts of power they can't really make use of... then by the time things have advances sufficiently that you can your battery's knackered and you may not have had an OS update.

It's so obvious when you use a new/recently reset iPhone 6S/S7.. basically just as super fast and snappy as a current flagship.

It's a massive issue for the industry considering it's built on ever expanding growth

Soldato
My S8+ used to be laggy but it's quite snappy on Oreo, funnily enough it's faster than my PC when both have like 32 tabs in Chrome :p Really a sucker for new tech and was tempted by the S9 but is it really worth the upgrade, it looks like a clone of the S8 for starters?

Soldato
Popped in to EE the other week to look at upgrade options and they seemed to think that ordering through mobiles.co.uk would mean I would only piggy back off the EE network and speeds would suffer. This is BS right?

Soldato
Popped in to EE the other week to look at upgrade options and they seemed to think that ordering through mobiles.co.uk would mean I would only piggy back off the EE network and speeds would suffer. This is BS right?

Definitely is, if you order an EE contract it's EE, you piggyback off the network if you go with a provider that piggybacks a network, they're like virtual providers and share the bandwidth which means slower speeds.

Soldato
Definitely is, if you order an EE contract it's EE, you piggyback off the network if you go with a provider that piggybacks a network, they're like virtual providers and share the bandwidth which means slower speeds.

Mmmm.. not sure about that.

For one, I think he's been told that simply buying an EE phone from mobile.co.uk will lead to slower EE speeds.. that really is BS.

For an MVNO it really depends on the tariff setup, they can offer either throttled or non throttled access to the parent network. It doesn't follow that it's definitely slower.

Soldato
Mmmm.. not sure about that.

For one, I think he's been told that simply buying an EE phone from mobile.co.uk will lead to slower EE speeds.. that really is BS.

For an MVNO it really depends on the tariff setup, they can offer either throttled or non throttled access to the parent network. It doesn't follow that it's definitely slower.
Yep that's what I was told in store by EE if I decided to purchase a handset and contract through mobiles.co.uk rather than direct through EE. I assumed it was BS, just a little surprised they used the 'ol you must buy with us mantra.

Upgrading from a standard S7 so hopefully will be a decent upgrade.

Permabanned
I recall I think it was on the vergecast they discussed this and someone made the point that new devices (I'd say including the S9 etc) are released with huge amounts of power they can't really make use of... then by the time things have advances sufficiently that you can your battery's knackered and you may not have had an OS update.

It's so obvious when you use a new/recently reset iPhone 6S/S7.. basically just as super fast and snappy as a current flagship.

It's a massive issue for the industry considering it's built on ever expanding growth

It is the software. The Android OS and applications.

Soldato
Yep that's what I was told in store by EE if I decided to purchase a handset and contract through mobiles.co.uk rather than direct through EE. I assumed it was BS, just a little surprised they used the 'ol you must buy with us mantra.

Upgrading from a standard S7 so hopefully will be a decent upgrade.

Basically the only way that is true is if there's a feature/level of service reserved for their own customers. It's got nothing to do with bandwidth just commercial reality.

Soldato
My S7 contract from 2 years finishes in less than a month. After this release I'm tempted to just go for the S8 and save a bundle. People are trading them in at really low prices!

Back
Top Bottom