Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

maj

maj

Soldato
Pi 3 B+ released today by looks of things. 1.4Ghz 64-bit CPU, onboard dual-band wifi and bluetooth, 300mbit ethernet, 1gb LPDDR2 SDRAM and impressively POE but which requires an adapter. Still, impressive specs for the price.

Last edited:

maj

maj

Soldato
Yeah the H265 decoder is a shame. I know they tend to be more expensive, but considering rival companies using pretty much same circuit board, are able to offer Gigabit ethernet and more RAM so hopefully Pi won't be too far behind. Probably be Pi 4 or 5 before we get to that stage but this B+ is a step in the right direction. I think I'll probably hold off for now. I don't have any projects planned and still have a brand new Pi Zero W sat in a box.

Soldato
Had anyone used a pi to build a little music player/ streamer?

I'm looking at playing mainly rock stuff like acdc etc.

I'm not a massive music guy or an audiophile. So looking for something good and best bang for buck.

I've been reading up on the hifiberry but I'm not sure if I need an amp or a DAC or both?

What about speakers?

Soldato
I use Picoreplayer with a Pi and 7" screen you can get little amps which plug onto the Pi but i a USB DAC plugged into the Pi then run into a HiFi Amp to run my speakers have also used a HiFi Berry DAC which plugs on to the Pi which was good

Not sure as not tested but i think these days you can use Picoreplayer with a Pi3 and Bluetooth speakers so no need for amp

4444.jpg

Bit of a party round the back

12377777.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a Pi running Raspiab Stretch to host the Unifi controller software.

Whats the best way to also run a home server from this?

Also there seem to be loads of things pre-installed on my version of Stretch (maybe i should've gone for the "lite" version), do these things run in the background using processing power and need to be deleted or can i leave them be?

Soldato
Has anyone got any good guides on how to get a screen sorted for a Pi3? Im happy to buy the new Pi3b+ if there is a more elegant solution for it.
I want an AOI unit with a small screen in a case but heard that there is some limitations with the pins vs hdmi and I am pretty confused.

Basically I want to run retropi connect a controller up and just have it as a solo unit with the option to connect it to a tv if required.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Bizarre one, but I've been googling but thought I'd see if anyone had done something similar.

I'd like to modify my cat flap to simply indicate entry and exit. Nothing more than that. Each time there's an exit it's records date/time and then vice versa, entries recorded.

It looks possible with an accelerometer, but I've zero experience of anything other than using my Pi's for plug and play stuff like a VPN server when abroad or pihole.

Man of Honour
Bizarre one, but I've been googling but thought I'd see if anyone had done something similar.

I'd like to modify my cat flap to simply indicate entry and exit. Nothing more than that. Each time there's an exit it's records date/time and then vice versa, entries recorded.

It looks possible with an accelerometer, but I've zero experience of anything other than using my Pi's for plug and play stuff like a VPN server when abroad or pihole.

I'd use a reed switch like you'd get on the front door for a house alarm with a watchdog script that waits for an interrupt on an input pin then log it to a text file or however you'd like to display the data

Back
Top Bottom