Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Finally took the jump and bought one. Just need an SD card, can I use any?

Theres a lot on eBay with a lot of different acronyms SDHC SDXC etc

Is it best to just get a cheap one, what size will I need also?

Commissario
When I needed a Pi3 in a hurry, I picked one up from Rapid and they sold me a Kingston card to go with it because it was "recommended and nice and quick". It was terrible, slowed the Pi down drastically. Not all named brands are good.

Associate
Class 10 SD cards are recommended, size depends on what you want to achieve. Stick with a brand like Sandisk or Transend
I wouldnt worry about making sure its a class 10 ,if that makes you get a cheaper no name card, that just states it max sequential write speed. Very useful for cameras less so for operating systems.
You want the best random reads and writes you can get which you wont get with a cheap class 10.
https://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/microsd-cards

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Picade built and running well :)

19477328_10213865237683868_7981288959061512477_o.jpg

Even runs off my Anker 20100mah power bank!

Getting Amiga games to run was challenge but I'm there with 20 of my fave Amiga games now (Turrican II omg!) and haven't managed to get any NeoGeo games working yet, but I'm impressed. Next week I'll be at the retro Play Expo at Norbreck with the college promoting Lancaster's game/software dev/web/network degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Bought a Pi Zero W at the weekend to have a tinker with along with a wide angle camera. Going to try setting up a motion detecting security camera that can record / be viewed remotely. From reading around it should be a pretty achievable goal even for someone who's not too familiar with the tech!
Been meaning to try and do more Linux type stuff anyway, so will find something to do with it if I can't get the camera stuff working as I'd like.

Commissario
I have two RPi3s running as ADS-B aircraft trackers, one in the loft and one outside at the top of a 10m mast.

One Pi3 is my Unifi controller.

I have a Pi2 running my Pi-hole and OpenDNS server.

I've got another Pi3 running as a NextCloud.

I have a Pi Zero as an amateur radio RX only iGate.

Then there's a Zero W running a secondary Pi-hole.

In addition to those, I have a Zero W with a relay acting as an internet watchdog. If the internet drops out for a set time, it reboots the router.

I've got an internet radio driven by a Zero W.

Downstairs there's a Google Voice AIY thing with a Zero W in it.

And I've got a Zero W as a little play box, so I can test things out and just experiment.

That's four 3s, a 2, a Zero and five Zero Ws. Eleven in total.

I could probably consolidate a little but not much. The Unifi controller really needs a 3, I had it on the 2 along with a Pi-hole and OpenDNS but the performance wasn't great.

The Pi3 that's arriving today is going to be used for some experimentation with a wide band WSPR receiver.

Back
Top Bottom