Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Picade built and running well :)

Even runs off my Anker 20100mah power bank!

Getting Amiga games to run was challenge but I'm there with 20 of my fave Amiga games now (Turrican II omg!) and haven't managed to get any NeoGeo games working yet, but I'm impressed. Next week I'll be at the retro Play Expo at Norbreck with the college promoting Lancaster's game/software dev/web/network degrees.

Thats a thing of beauty. Well done.

Soldato
I have two RPi3s running as ADS-B aircraft trackers, one in the loft and one outside at the top of a 10m mast.

One Pi3 is my Unifi controller.

I have a Pi2 running my Pi-hole and OpenDNS server.

I've got another Pi3 running as a NextCloud.

I have a Pi Zero as an amateur radio RX only iGate.

Then there's a Zero W running a secondary Pi-hole.

In addition to those, I have a Zero W with a relay acting as an internet watchdog. If the internet drops out for a set time, it reboots the router.

I've got an internet radio driven by a Zero W.

Downstairs there's a Google Voice AIY thing with a Zero W in it.

And I've got a Zero W as a little play box, so I can test things out and just experiment.

That's four 3s, a 2, a Zero and five Zero Ws. Eleven in total.

I could probably consolidate a little but not much. The Unifi controller really needs a 3, I had it on the 2 along with a Pi-hole and OpenDNS but the performance wasn't great.

The Pi3 that's arriving today is going to be used for some experimentation with a wide band WSPR receiver.

When you setup the UniFi controller software did you configure the installation to use Oracle Java 8 which performs a lot better on a Pi instead of the default Open JDK?

Commissario
When you setup the UniFi controller software did you configure the installation to use Oracle Java 8 which performs a lot better on a Pi instead of the default Open JDK?
Yup, sure did. It works reasonably well once it's open but seems to just suffer massive slowdowns when first accessing it. I think that's common though but it's better on the 3 with nothing else on it.

Soldato
In addition to those, I have a Zero W with a relay acting as an internet watchdog. If the internet drops out for a set time, it reboots the router.

Do you have any more details on this? I've got Nest, Hi-Vision and TP Link stuff which all become useless if I'm out of the house and my internet goes down so something that would reboot the router would be great. (and I've got a couple of Zero W's sat around doing nothing)

Commissario
Do you have any more details on this? I've got Nest, Hi-Vision and TP Link stuff which all become useless if I'm out of the house and my internet goes down so something that would reboot the router would be great. (and I've got a couple of Zero W's sat around doing nothing)
Scroll back for 45 posts or so and all the details are there. The code isn't quite the final version, I posted in the programming forum a while ago to get it finally sorted but it's all there.

maj

maj

Soldato
So been looking into Google Voice AIY as I have a Zero W going spare but not sure of its actual purpose. From what I've seen it is just replicating the Google app on Android phones. "Ok Google. Tell me a joke" "Ok Google. Tell me the weather forecast" etc which I can get in my phone. Is that basically it?

Soldato
Has anyone been able to get Pi-Hole to block Youtube ads on the mobile app? I've tried messing around with a bunch of blocked domains but they're persistent.

Commissario
Has anyone been able to get Pi-Hole to block Youtube ads on the mobile app? I've tried messing around with a bunch of blocked domains but they're persistent.
Those are about the only ads I see and there's lots of discussion on the Pi-hole support Reddit about them. I can live with Youtube adverts as long as that's all that gets through.

Soldato
Those are about the only ads I see and there's lots of discussion on the Pi-hole support Reddit about them. I can live with Youtube adverts as long as that's all that gets through.
Yeah it's still a great investment. The fact that a tiny device that dangles from my router can adblock every ad on my phone is incredible. Here's hoping they can sort out Youtube at some point.

Soldato
I'm toying with the idea of starting a new retro gaming project and currently just researching some of the constraints which will dictate design.

I'd like to known if there are any Pi based projects that have utilised a 9-12 inch display but have also been battery powered?

Any links/info greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

Associate
Finally found a use for the spare Pi i had sat in my bits box - installed NagiosPi network monitoring tool and after a few hours managed to get it pinging my devices.

Not managed to get email alerts working yet but thats probably down to my linux experience!

Back
Top Bottom