Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

mjt

mjt

Soldato
2.4D (became the D4 I think?). Same engine as the D5 at 2.4 5 cylinders, just de-tuned to ~160bhp.

When I test drove the E-Class, I handed it back thinking that it felt very premium but didn't really offer an awful lot over the Volvo once you're up to speed and chewing up the miles. We're mainly changing to this because we wanted an estate and the deal was so good on finance that it wasn't much more than a Skoda Superb, due to the low depreciation.

The Volvo has fantastically comfy leather electric seats and a nice relaxing beige interior, but absolutely no infotainment and an agricultural and thirsty diesel engine, as well as limited boot space.
Can't fault that logic. Was thinking about infotainment today actually; that's where previous-gen cars are lagging in terms of the new ones. Bluetooth streaming/wireless charging, etc. That, and Volvo's satnav was absolute garbage. It came with a remote control FFS!

Apart from the relatively thirsty diesel engines, that's what put me off V70s a few years back. Loved my S90 but that cost £1500 :p

Anyway, back to MBs ;)

Soldato
Do it!!! Think of all the shell points you’ll get!

I took it to North Wales over the weekend. Nice drive along the a5 to Betws then back through capel curig/Llanberis pass to my folks house near Bangor.

Soldato
The other half currently drives an old SLK. I'm talking late '90s. It's a decent car.... Has it's issues. But she seldom uses it.

Anyway I'm trying to talk her into getting something a little more special. The SLK 55 AMG (2004 onwards). Any of you have any experience with this car?

Soldato
Do it!!! Think of all the shell points you’ll get!

I took it to North Wales over the weekend. Nice drive along the a5 to Betws then back through capel curig/Llanberis pass to my folks house near Bangor.

It wouldn't be my daily so fuel costs etc wouldn't bother me, looking at the 4dr with LSD I think. Still a long way off but if things pan out it will hopefully happen this year.

Soldato
Does anyone have any experience of the iCarsoft MB II? I'm wondering if it will give me enough info to be able to pinpoint failures in the car, without me having to pay someone £££ to hook it up to STAR. Does it read significantly more systems than any old OBD2 reader?

Or is one of the STAR clones from China with multiplexer and hard drive worth the extra £100 or so? I doubt I'd need any of the programming features.

I've got a couple of issues that I'd like to fix (think the powering steering pump isn't working properly, the multicontour seats don't work, and I think the heating pad in the passenger seat back has failed), but I don't fancy having to pay someone to diagnose each one separately to know for sure what I need to replace.

Soldato
OP
I've never used the iCarsoft so can't comment on that. But I have one of the STAR clone multiplexers hooked up to an old Dell D630 running in Developer mode. Bought it as a 'kit' ages ago when I first got the car and it's easily paid for itself diagnosing a few faults and doing a few other bits and pieces (SBC disable for brakes replacement, secondary air pump disable on startup, alarm siren chirp etc etc). It was absolutely invaluable in fault finding Airmatic issues.

You get a whole load extra info and data with the diagnostics and specific system/module tests with STAR that you just can't do with a generic OBD2 reader.

Soldato
Merc have released pics of the new 4-door AMG GT63 S.

It's basically a 2019 CLS63 as they're not going to be producing a 2019 CLS63. I wonder if all AMG models will be moving over to the Mercedes-AMG brand now.

It's a pity that my CLS is going to be the last non-AMG V8. It's a truly brilliant engine, terrible gearbox but great engine.

Soldato
I really like the newer interiors with the wood. Even the C Class hire I had with the dark ash was lovely. Much nicer than the gloss plastic.

In other news, the 7G tronic in my CLK keeps getting stuck in gear requiring me to turn off and on the car, code reader gives me the following error:

P2768 – The component Y3 / 8n2 (Internal speed sensor (VGS)) is defective.

Has anyone had any experience of repairing/replacing the conductor plate? Don't really want to go back to the main dealer as I know they'll want to charge me an exorbitant sum. I've found this company which offers a repair service: http://www.ecutesting.com/mercedes/7g-tronic-problems.html

Got a local mechanic who should be able to help me in removing it.

Associate
My brother inlaw is thinking of getting an e300 hybrid, told him to get a c350e instead but he likes the e. Anything to look out for or worry about with the hybrid?

Edit: His budget is around 20k
I just picked up my C350e last week and i'm loving it. My last car was a 2014 E350, and its so far ahead of that in terms of tech and interior quality I am really very impressed. The main issue with the C350e was the 6 month build lead time but if he is buying used that wont be an issue. If there are any specific questions i'll gladly answer them.

Back
Top Bottom