What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Autoreiji.

Sanno-kai controls the Kanto region. Sekiuchi is too trusting. Kato is playing the long game. Ikemoto receives orders.

Murase is in the dark. Ishihara relies on his cunning. Kimura stabs a rival. Otomo wants revenge.

Who had a painful experience at the dentist? Why did Otomo visit the public baths? Can Mizuno make his mark?

I rate Autoreiji at 26.64 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a gritty 8/10 on IMDB.

Den of thieves, 6/10. Was ok, felt more emotion towards the bad guys than the good. Almost tried to be like a couple of other films, just not as good.

This film was a load of ******* ****. Excruciatingly dumb and clumsy.

Caporegime
Autoreiji: Biyondo.

Sanno-kai has vanquished Murase-gumi. Kato is secretly in league with Hanabishi-kai. Ishihara causes resentment among the dankai no seidai. Kataoka has a plan. Otomo wants revenge.

Kimura forges an unexpected alliance. Fuse is playing the long game. The Korean fixer takes a risk. Nishino remains loyal. Nakata is unstable. Shiroyama and Gomi are still the same. A yakuza honours the jingi code with his finger.

Is Shigeta a liability? Who killed Shima and Ono? What is the meaning of the tattoo on the back of the prostitute in the white dressing gown? Is it possible to murder someone with a baseball-throwing machine?

I rate Autoreiji: Biyondo at 26.64 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a violent 8/10 on IMDB.

Caporegime
Autoreiji Coda.

Sanno-kai has been decimated by Hanabishi-kai. Hanada screws up. Chang demands satisfaction. Otomo wants revenge. Ichikawa goes fishing.

Nomura is despised. Nishino fakes his own death. Nakata badly miscalculates. Shigeta becomes frustrated. The dankai no seidai grow restless. Gomi takes a risk.

Who controls Jeju Island? How did Nishino's car end up in the lake? What is the secret behind Hanada's assault on the prostitutes? Why was Nomura's lieutenant murdered with an explosive ball gag?

I rate Autoreiji Coda at 26.64 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as an outrageous 8/10 on IMDB.

Soldato
Annihilation
Not sure about this one. Some very stupid things happen that makes everything one big joke. Its one of those that you'll watch once and say "what a load of crap" and look on imdb for some justification about how your feeling only to find 100's with he same opinion yet critics reviews paint it out to be a masterpiece.
2/10 from me

Associate
Deadpool 2 (2018) - 6/10

An entertaining if somewhat disappointing sequel.

There’s plenty of visually great action scenes and there’s plenty of quips and jokes, but a lot of these are forced and the plot is all over the place tonally.

The new characters are ok, but water down the experience and although it may be Deadpool’s style, the language and carnage seemed to be done just for the sake of it a few times.

Still a good movie, but the best has gone before, and recycling something that was fresh and fun doesn’t always work second time around.

Caporegime
Les Affamés.

Canadian zombie movies have never received the love they truly deserve, and Les Affamés is worth a lot more than the 6/10 it's been stuck with on IMDB.

Set in the dysfunctional French enclave of Quebec (a primitive rural district that only survives by leeching off the Canadian state, and amuses the rest of the nation by threatening to secede every 10 years) this dark, existential spin on an old genre raises new questions about furniture, art, and the nature of humanity.

I rate Les Affamés at 26.64 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a very respectable 8/10 on IMDB.

Caporegime
Tore Tanzt.

If you've never seen a Katrin Gebbe movie before, this is the one you should start with. Strong performances by Julius Feldmeier and Torben Lohmann drive a powerful 'coming of age' story that expertly blends the themes of faith, love, and hope. Fans of Sascha Alexander Gersak will also be well rewarded, despite an unflattering colour palette.

I rate Tore Tanzt at 26.64 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a very respectable 8/10 on IMDB.

Caporegime
Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds.

I'm didn't know what to expect from this one, but it really blew me away. At 140 minutes, this adaptation of the popular South Korean manhwa series of the same name is shorter than the usual South Korean movie, though you won't really notice because the visuals and plot are just so compelling.

Firefighter Ja-hong dies during a rescue attempt, and finds himself on the brink of the afterlife. Here he is met by the death god Gang-rim and two spirit guardians, who will guide him through seven trials over the next 49 days to determine the fate of his soul. If successful, he will be reincarnated.

The film draws heavily on Buddhist theology which I presume most of us are already familiar with, so I won't elaborate on it here. Ha Jung Woo plays Gang-rim to perfection, while his two assistants (controversial actor/model Ju Ji-hoon, and the lovely 17 year old Kim Hyang-gi) provide pathos and light relief in equal measure.

Along with the Gods was chucked together on a budget of just US$36.6 million, but looks and feels like a Hollywood blockbuster title. If you don't want to waste your money on Infinity Wars: The Pity Party of Thanos, I suggest you buy this movie on Blu Ray instead. There's a sequel coming up later this year, so keep an eye out for that one.

I rate Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds at 26.64 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a soul-searching 8/10 on IMDB.

Man of Honour
Insidious: The Last Key

I mean, I know the first 3 were pretty naff, but this is downright terrible.

3/10 (just for Tucker and Specs)

Annihilation

Noticed this was quite polarising (and I am of the Interstellar = crap, Arrival = good mindset) so gave it a go.

Both the missus and I enjoyed it, some nice visuals and ideas, interesting enough, but a slightly flat pay-off at the end.

6.5/10
I think the first insidious film has one of the truly greatest jump scares in any film ever.

when the devil character appears behind someone in the middle of the day during a conversarion

Man of Honour
at 1 minute?

^ yes! In the context of the film / scene that comes out of nowhere... there’s lots of dialogue beforehand. One of those where you don’t actually ‘jump’ because your brain can’t process what is happening and then seconds afterwards you get a wave of the heebie-jeebies :)

Soldato
In Bruges 7/10
Good story, good acting and a few good chuckles.

Sinister 2 4/10
The first one was pretty good, but this was just poor in every way. Not really very scary, barring the odd predictable jump scare and not much of a story.

Commissario
Spring Breakers 3/10

The only reason I didn't turn it off after about 20 minutes was because I got carried away preparing some models for undercoating.
It seemed like a flimsy excuse to keep having T&A and bikini shots, the photography was pretty good but that's probably the only thing that takes it from a 2/10.

About the only positive thing about watching it is that I can tick it off my backlog of discs* and see if I can inflict it on give it to a friend or a charity shop.

Austin Powers: The Spy who shagged me 7/10

A palette cleanser after the previous film, funny, an entertaining story, great cinematography in places, humour both subtle and not, and some good solid performances by many of the cast.
I think I may watch Goldmember next.

*I'm almost scared to start working out what's in my backlog, I know it's going to be a hundred plus (mainly cheapies), but I found a couple of things I had pre-ordered 2-3+ years ago and not opened yet on my shelf.

Associate
Spring Breakers 3/10

The only reason I didn't turn it off after about 20 minutes was because I got carried away preparing some models for undercoating.
It seemed like a flimsy excuse to keep having T&A and bikini shots, the photography was pretty good but that's probably the only thing that takes it from a 2/10.

About the only positive thing about watching it is that I can tick it off my backlog of discs* and see if I can inflict it on give it to a friend or a charity shop.

Yes, one of the worst 'films' I've ever seen. Agreed that it seems to be a long excuse for T&A shots. I won't deny liking a spot of titillation here and there but it had all the depth of a dance music video or perfume ad.

Back
Top Bottom