• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
How exactly do 6 to 8 pin connectors work? I've got a 700w psu with an 8 and a 6 pin. Is it possible to just use one of the 6-8 adaptors? Or alternatively what's the other option for powering the 64?

Associate
How exactly do 6 to 8 pin connectors work? I've got a 700w psu with an 8 and a 6 pin. Is it possible to just use one of the 6-8 adaptors? Or alternatively what's the other option for powering the 64?

Which PSU have you got? I assume the 8- and 6-pin connectors are on separate cables?

It's possible that your PSU actually has three 12V pins connected on the 6-pin cable (a standard 6-pin only has two 12V pins), in which case a 6-to-8-pin adaptor would connect up the additional ground and sense pin fine (via the existing ground wires - there will be three) without risking any overloading.

If not, then I wouldn't use such an adaptor and just use the 6-pin as-is. The GPU should still work fine at stock, but I wouldn't expect the best overclocks possible as the 12V will droop a little more under high loads.

Soldato
Which PSU have you got? I assume the 8- and 6-pin connectors are on separate cables?

It's possible that your PSU actually has three 12V pins connected on the 6-pin cable (a standard 6-pin only has two 12V pins), in which case a 6-to-8-pin adaptor would connect up the additional ground and sense pin fine (via the existing ground wires - there will be three) without risking any overloading.

If not, then I wouldn't use such an adaptor and just use the 6-pin as-is. The GPU should still work fine at stock, but I wouldn't expect the best overclocks possible as the 12V will droop a little more under high loads.

It's an OCZ StealthXStream2 700W. How would I go about finding out if it has the 3 12v pins required? Unfortunately, OCZ apparently went under, so I've had trouble finding a copy of the manual, though I did find this:
http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/OCZ700SXS2.pdf

And that appears to say the 6 pin has 3x 12v pins?

Associate
It's an OCZ StealthXStream2 700W. How would I go about finding out if it has the 3 12v pins required? Unfortunately, OCZ apparently went under, so I've had trouble finding a copy of the manual, though I did find this:
http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/OCZ700SXS2.pdf

And that appears to say the 6 pin has 3x 12v pins?

It does show three 12V pins on that connector, so the adaptor would be OK here.

Soldato
Well, Powercolor ordered, Gigabyte RMA organised.
Big pain, means I need to wait for Monday rather than getting to play with it this weekend, but worth it in the long run. Thanks for the heads up, and for OCUK for letting me send it back so easy. Just glad I didn't open it or I'd be kicking myself.

Soldato
Well, Powercolor ordered, Gigabyte RMA organised.
Big pain, means I need to wait for Monday rather than getting to play with it this weekend, but worth it in the long run. Thanks for the heads up, and for OCUK for letting me send it back so easy. Just glad I didn't open it or I'd be kicking myself.

Good choice mate :)

Soldato
Now the days are cooler, I am going to test if my observation from yesterday are correct, that the card gains 200Mhz if temp drops from 30C to 28C.
What prompted me was that on Power Save mode (178W cap) the card top clock was 1341. Yet yesterday a much cooler day in the room (window open), the clock was 1548 as long as the card was bellow 30C.

If thats true, then I might build a second loop for the V64. I only have to buy a 360mm MLC rad either way and plug it.

Permabanned
Any word on the vega Nano? All I have found on the internet are pictures

I don't think a good Nano's possible with Vega, if they were AMD would have done it like last time, The full reference Vega's are like hairdryers under load and the things that made the Fury Nano a decent little card aren't possible with Vega. They drink too much and run too hot, I'd steer clear of it.

Be worth tagging him for that Nash,
Cheers mate.

Caporegime
I'm BACK!

This is how she compares to here 480 sibling. A virtual cookie for anyone who can guess which is which.
KQXnt6ah.jpg

One for the owners list please Kaap, Cheers.

Nice one nasha, hope she runs ok for you. :)

Hehe I was playing with the cooling today. 1900 core clock is achievable, if I bother to buy a 360 MLC now and keep the V64 in it's own loop.
Right now I blame the 8600K for putting too much heat into the loop :p

:D

Soldato
Hehe I was playing with the cooling today. 1900 core clock is achievable, if I bother to buy a 360 MLC now and keep the V64 in it's own loop.
Right now I blame the 8600K for putting too much heat into the loop :p

There's no way any Vega card will do 1900mhz on the core. When I was aggressively benching mine after I first got it, I was bricking it at 1850mhz. It felt like it was going to go pop at any time due to throwning 1250mv at it. It's one thing setting wattman to hit a target clock, actually getting it there is another matter. I wouldn't advise running any Vega card over 1800mhz for 24/7 gaming.

Soldato
There's no way any Vega card will do 1900mhz on the core. When I was aggressively benching mine after I first got it, I was bricking it at 1850mhz. It felt like it was going to go pop at any time due to throwning 1250mv at it. It's one thing setting wattman to hit a target clock, actually getting it there is another matter. I wouldn't advise running any Vega card over 1800mhz for 24/7 gaming.

Everything is related to heat. If you try to keep the GPU bellow 29C, which is achievable when custom watercooled and liquid metal as I have my Nitro, it gives +200mhz over the previous set clocks on the power/thermal envelop.
That means at 176W (power save) the clock goes from 1340 to 1540 etc. I even managed to have it running briefly at 1910 at 1200mv, until it went over the 29C and lowered the speed to 1727. My main source of heat in the loop is the monoblock & 8600K. If I put the V64 on it's own loop (and is easy as I am using EK QDCs), I bet can constantly achieve 29C tops.

8 hours last night flew by fiddling with the stuff, while had the window in the room open keeping the temps just above external ambient.
Probably the first since ever also, that the 8600K didn't work at 5-5.2Ghz but at stock speeds last night. Keeping heat generation low to do my tests.

And I wont give up. I didn't gave up with the GTX1080 back in 2016, and pushed it to 2190 and briefly 2200 after a lot of trying. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom