• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Associate
There's a few comparison sites for phone recycling - I checked just in case I only get low-ball offers for my 7 Plus (which I've priced at £350) and some of them had valuations as high as £318 although I expect they'll try and find any way they can to knock that down further. Mazuma wasn't one of the better ones (£230!).

Thanks for the tip, never thought to check comparison sites, best is sellmyphone offering £520, same as mazuma (didn't see them listed on the site I checked) was before the announcement (£500 now). I trust mazuma as have used them for years.

Soldato
I remember my driving licence being checked last time. I did take a couple of other proofs of address along just in case, I can't remember them being checked though?

I spoke to Apple via chat. You only need to provide photo ID, everything else is just provided without documents.

Good to know. :)

I assumed the proof of address was for people like me who have moved house recently — for credit checking purposes it may be useful to have a record of my previous address.

Soldato
It's a lot of money. You are essentially renting the phone for £45+/month if you choose to upgrade each year. You are locked into a new 2 year agreement every time you upgrade, it is 0% finance if you don't but you have to buy Apple Care.

Edit: Apple Care is overpriced IMO.

£200 could ensure your entire house, its content, including personal possessions outside the home (which includes mobiles), the excess is likely to be slightly higher but not much. Adding personal possessions cover costs as little as £30 on a basic policy but covers much more than just a phone. Most people already have appropriate cover via a more comprehensive policy. The only advantage you have with Apple Care is that it is almost certainly easier to claim and get the problem fixed via Apple.

Last edited:
Associate
It's a lot of money. You are essentially renting the phone for £45+/month if you choose to upgrade each year. You are locked into a new 2 year agreement every time you upgrade, it is 0% finance if you don't but you have to buy Apple Care.

You are not renting the phone on the iPhone Upgrade Programme as there is no finance linked to the phone in the way that there would be with a car for example - you do actually own the phone. The programme is effectively just an unsecured 0% finance agreement over 20 months - provided by Barclays. Granted, it does include the cost of 2yrs AppleCare+. You are not locked in either, you can pay off the agreement at any time with no fees, selling the iPhone beforehand if necessary. Also, if you settle the agreement within 20 months you will get a separate pro-rata refund on the un-used AppleCare+. It is completely flexible and you are not locked in at all.

I'm just about to do it for the third year running - it's a good way to 0% finance the iPhone and I think better than getting a 24 month mobile contract - where you really would be locked in.

I've not had to use AppleCare+ to date - but good to know it's there in addition to my regular mobile phone cover that comes with my current account - I would only use that as a last resort if I actually lost the phone.

s the iup worth it? are lots of people leaning towards that route now and swopping every year.

IMHO - a definite yes ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
You are essentially renting the phone for £45+/month if you choose to upgrade each year.

Essentially being the key word. I know you are not actually renting it but it is effectively what happens when you upgrade each year as you have to give the old one back to get the new one.

It's only better than a 24 month contract if you want to upgrade every year, which is something you wouldn't do if you wanted to upgrade each year anyway. I agree it's a convenient way to finance the phone but there are cheaper ways of doing it if you don't need Apple Care. As I pointed out most people already have sufficient cover via home insurance.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Essentially being the key word. I know you are not actually renting it but it is effectively what happens when you upgrade each year as you have to give the old one back to get the new one.

It's only better than a 24 month contract if you want to upgrade every year, which is something you wouldn't do if you wanted to upgrade each year anyway. I agree it's a convenient way to finance the phone but there are cheaper ways of doing it if you don't need Apple Care. As I pointed out most people already have sufficient cover via home insurance.

AppleCare+ is nice. Most phone insurance it won't be repaired by Apple, so the quality of the repair may not be as good as direct with Apple.

Soldato
Agreed, which is something I said but it doesn't cover loss/theft like a decent insurance product would. It's just not worth £200 unless you are a serial phone smasher.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Anyone have a better deal they've managed to find for the 64gb XS? This seems a good trade off for data/overall price.

Once you remove the £999 device, it's less than £9.50 a month for the minutes/15gb data etc.

cgl0VMr.png

Soldato
Don’t forget you can go for iPhone Payments if all you’re after is interest free credit.

Thats what I did for my 8 plus, £71 a month for a year and it's worked well.

Although if I do decide to upgrade, I now have the hassle of selling/trading in my phone. Iup eliminates this so I'm tempted to go down this route.

That said I want to use dual sims and I'm still waiting for an answer from EE as to whether I have to get the phone from them in order to do this or whether they do an e-sim sim only package.

I'd prefer to keep my Virgin Mobile tariff, they have been brilliant since day one and cheap too.

Soldato
Does my iPhone backup need to be an iOS 12 one before I go over to the new iPhone when it arrives? I’d rather wait to update to the new iOS then so I’ve got a slightly newer software experience at the same time as the hardware. :)

Caporegime
I've got a 7 at the moment, so skipped the previous couple of updates, am tempted to get the XS, don't really fancy getting the super sized version.

Am actually quite tempted to look into their upgrade scheme, seemingly they'll only offer £170 for my current phone so that is a bit naff, but the monthly fee and regular upgrade option + apple care etc.. look like quite a reasonable offer.

In other news:

WWdrdiT.jpg

Soldato
If you use the code ‘tech10’ on musicmagpie, they give you an extra 10% of the sell price. May be of use to some.

Would rep if I this forum supported it, thanks. If I don't have any interest in my 7 Plus on AVF within the next couple of days that code gets me within £25 of my asking price so it's a no brainer and free postage/I don't have to pay for RMSD.

Back
Top Bottom