• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Just use the Apple Support app, I've done it for the last two Apple devices I've picked up on contract (iPhone 8, iPad Pro 10.5). Needs to be done as soon as you get the device if you can (I can't remember exactly how long you've got, but it's not months).

Thanks for that.

Now just contemplating buying the phone outright or on contract. It's actually working out cheaper on contract (by a few quid).

I always read that the Chinese market want large screens, and with that market being the size that it is (compared to us, for example), it doesn't surprise me that we've got an iPhone XR instead of an SE2. Anecdotally the most common iPhones I see commuting in London are 6/7/8 size ones. I see more 5Cs than I do SEs.

Apple never releases actual sales data per model, but most sources show a picture that is nowhere near as clearcut as you suggest:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/apple-iphone-most-popular-model-newzoo-chart-2017-7

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-strong-are-iphone-x-sales/

Anecdotally, I know more people with an iPhone SE than any other model iPhone. Best selling in one year or one quarter doesn't transale to actual marketshare overall - sales of the SE by all accounts have been consistent (heck, wasn't it the UK's best selling phone at one point with 10% of sales?) and now that Apple has killed off the small iPhone, it's banking on those customers moving to a larger phone when it comes to upgrade. Many may not want to and will be forced to look elsewhere.

Apple has released bigger more expensive phones for one reason: slowing sales due to people keeping their phones for longer. It's needs to maintain it's margins, but it's a risky strategy if people look elsewhere when they do upgrade.

You are comparing apples to oranges and market share is measured by monthly/quarterly/yearly sales not total activations. There is no surprise that a phone that has been on sale for 2 or 3 years has more active phones than one that has been out for a few weeks. On your second link, the iPhone 8 and the X are both the flagships so sales need to be added. You need to look at sales year by year or month by month.

Lets try again with some comparable figures:

Apple's iPhone 8 Plus was the number one selling iPhone in the United States during the second quarter of 2018 according to new data shared today by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners.

The iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X accounted for 54 percent of US iPhone sales during the quarter, with the iPhone 8 making up 13 percent of sales, the iPhone 8 Plus making up 24 percent of sales, and the iPhone X making up 17 percent of sales.
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/25/iphone-8-plus-top-selling-q2-2018/

iPhone SE for reference in June 17 made up 5% or 6% and in June 2018 7% or 8%. You can clearly see from the above link the iPhone 7 killed off iPhone 6S and SE sales which really isn't surprising.

I'm also not surprised the SE was a best selling phone at one point, it was released out of sync (March?) with latest chips inside it from the 6S at a significantly lower price point (£360 vs £540 for a 6S). It was THE best bang for your buck iPhone you could buy for the best part of 6 months. The narrative here value, not screen size.

I’d agree with that... if you look at monthly rolling figures, it’s much more difficult to take into account future life factors and something completely out of your control can leave you with a mountain of debt you can’t afford any more because of a change in circumstance.

And yeah, disposable income is more than just taxes and social security... it’s all the basics, like roof over your head, food in your belly and whatever else... with room needed for the unexpected.

It’s easy to get sucked into the consumerism culture and buy into what you can’t guarantee you can afford because it’s being offered to you immediately with a little squiggle to pay a fraction of the cost per month over a long period.

I’ve been there, it’s not fun when you have to let a payment slip because you’ve had to priories the things that are actually important.

But heck, even my post above demonstrates clearly... I still very much have the “I want it yesterday” bug... can’t help it, I like the shiny... must’ve been a magpie in a past life.

We humans get wrapped up in our emotions and they can lead where logic should be allowed to prosper... advertisers target this part of us because they know it works and they’ve become very good at it, it’s one of the reasons I try to avoid it as much as possible and haven’t watched broadcast TV in my home for many years... although still watch certain shows and films which have similar things built into them all the time.

Even though I have a rough idea of what to look for, am actively working to avoid it hooking me in and am lucky to have more capable mental faculties than your average Joe, it still gets me.

Would love to see that form of emotional manipulation dialed back... it’s an altered form of subliminal messaging, which in its basic form was banned a long time ago. Can’t blame many for playing along with the game & picking the less logical option to satiate their cravings, whether their own or “implanted” by the content they surround themselves with... even exposing yourself to it is often not a conscious choice.

So the only answer is to shrug off all forms of media and go live in a cave, right?

:D :D :D

We're going off topic somewhat, but I agree with much of what you say. The thing is my wife counsels people with debt (volunteer) and how best to manage it. What she tells me is quite shocking - (mortgages apart) the debt people get themselves into is quite staggering e.g. mobile phone contracts, TV subscriptions, Gym membership, car loans etc. etc.

What b0rn2sk8 is talking about is monthly wage income, which is not quite the same as disposable income i.e. it's all built on sand and is dependent on next months wage. There was an article discussed on this forum not to long ago that stated a huge amount of people have just one months salary between them and financial disaster.

Apple are being cute releasing the XR a month after the more expensive models. Last year they did the exact opposite and it's reckoned it cost them a lot of sales for the X model. Personally I wouldn't entertain the more expensive iPhones. Firstly (although now a year older) you can get a brand new X model for £750 and you're getting very little extra with the S variant. Secondly the XR would more than satisfy all my smartphone requirements, why heck a £200 phone would be good enough for me.

Regarding the SE - well I came across the following report -

Sales of the iPhone SE, Apple’s least expensive model, were surprisingly strong as well. Though Apple did not disclose the number of iPhone SE units sold in the third quarter, the firm reported strong sales of the unit in emerging markets such as India, and recently built a factory there to manufacture the device.
The Canalys report states that device diversity has been a key contributor to Apple’s growth in the smartphone market. Apple currently offers five different models of the iPhone ranging from $350 to $1000.

Last edited:
Been priced out now really :( I can't justify that much on a phone at my level of income. Going to have to become an o2 refresh/refurb peasent and wait for some older X to arrive in :p

Some of the deals mean that the iPhone XS is about £800 for the phone if I factor in my current sim only contract price vs a new contract with the XS but I'm still struggling to pull the trigger. My 7+ still works perfectly and I won't get a lot if I sell it because its a bit scratched and generally not in perfect condition.

It's a bit of a luxury splurge for me even after whatever money I get for my 7 Plus, BUT, out of all the tech I own it's the thing I use the most, every, single, day, without fail so I want something that I'm going to enjoy. Truth be told if there was an X Max last year I might have been happy just upgrading to that to save some money... but there wasn't so here we are.

My 6 is still goring strong and does all I need, so going to hold of moving to the XS and see what IOS12 does for me. One thing that really does interest me is Augmented Reality, but from what I’ve read it’s not quite ready yet. Hopefully we get something more interesting next year other than a speed bump.

Apple are definitely tuning into the idea of the mobile phone being a luxury item.

To me it strikes me as they're marketing it more as real computer (What's a computer?! :rolleyes:), always on your person. The problem is, they're lagging behind Samsung in actually making this happen.

You can't split screen apps, even on the bigger 'Max' device, and you can't plug it into a monitor to use it like an every day computer with a mouse and keyboard like you can with the latest Android phones.

Apple need to figure out if they're going to let us use these as truly portable computers or not and how that will work and integrate between iOS and OSX.

If they're aiming to charge us more than the cost of some of their Macbooks, they need to start enabling us to get some Macbook/Laptop functionality out of them.

Went for the XS MAX 64GB direct from apple, getting £520 for my X 64GB from Mazumamobile so makes the price a little easier to swallow, if I didn’t have the X to sell I would never justify £1099 in one go for a phone. Looking forward to next Friday though, missed the large screen of the plus series phones.

They have always been a premium item though, like all apple products.

If you want cheap buy a Samsung.

Just as paying more doesn't always guarantee you're getting the best, so buying something cheaper doesn't necessarily mean it's not top quality either. God some people are a salespersons dream.

Went for the XS MAX 64GB direct from apple, getting £520 for my X 64GB from Mazumamobile so makes the price a little easier to swallow, if I didn’t have the X to sell I would never justify £1099 in one go for a phone. Looking forward to next Friday though, missed the large screen of the plus series phones.

Wow! that's almost 50% depreciation in 12 months. These latest iPhones aren't holding their price like the previous models used to. It's actually a steeper depreciation than my S7 has taken and I've had that 2.5 years.

My iPhone 7 32 gig is still worth £170 so again it's kept its value much better.

Mazuma are offering me £310 for my 64gb 8. So not bad.

The XS will only cost me £522 in total.

Still... going to wait to have a hands on with one first though.

Back
Top Bottom