What have you done to your car today?

Man of Honour
I'm in 2 minds. I will get a quote for doing it I think and then decide. The car cleaning me says get it perfect, the drive in me say nah, perhaps do it come sale time or let the dealer/trader worry about it.

Caporegime
Spring broken at the rear of my e38, it’s got self levelling suspension so I’m looking at £££ just for two springs (no point in replacing one!) then I’m told it’s wise to swap the shock absorbers at the same time, BMW want well over £2k to change just these....

Now pondering deleting the SLS completely and going with standard shocks and springs at great expense - the two types are not interchangeable - (but still less than the cost of one SLS shock absorber alone from BMW) for the whole job...

I remember when I first saw my car had SLS I wondered if I should pass it by for one without, looks like I should have!

And add to that it’s got a slight oil leak from the rocker cover gasket which is filling the spark plug wells - about 6 hours labour to do the job right I’m advised - it’s a good job I love the bloody thing!

Soldato
I'm in 2 minds. I will get a quote for doing it I think and then decide. The car cleaning me says get it perfect, the drive in me say nah, perhaps do it come sale time or let the dealer/trader worry about it.
Honestly depends on what you see your long term future with the car as. PPF is great and I'd recommend it in the future if you haven't already got it, sure it's got its limits too but its a great sacraficial layer.

Permabanned
Had another mooch around the supermarket car park to test the self parking system.

It's actually worse than me at reversing 90 degrees into a space between two cars [ not parallel parking, which it's just meh at ].

Soldato
Replaced my boost solenoid yesterday and decided that I would just change the recirc valve whilst I was down there anyway.

One of those jobs thst is not remotely technical but still an almighty pain in the arse due to accessing from the wheel well. Didn't help that the new solenoid is piped up differently to the old one, meaning I had to mess around with spring clips and hoses through that annoyinly small gap.

Anyway done and on and has fixed a part throttle boost issue I had over the last few weeks

Don
Out of curiosity, what was the damage and how much did it cost?

Small vertical dent where another car door had been opened into ours, and paint scrape.

saBnPrp.jpg

£240 for dent to be pushed out from behind, and area prepped and repainted, and I think he said whole panel re-lacquered.

Result is 99% perfect, in that the paint is spot on, but from a very acute angle you can still see a very slight ripple where the metal has stretched/deformed, however if you didn't know where to look you would be very unlikely to notice it (I certainly didn't when I picked it up, and spent a good 5 mins looking at it).

1YUEyVH.jpg

(It's incredible difficult to photograph the ripple)

Soldato
Tidy repair, I'm thinking about getting the fiesta sorted next year (although it is also very tempting to do nothing). Spends all its days in station and supermarket car parks so has no less than three proper dings where it's been hit by doors - every single one on a different panel and at a crease line.

Don
Broken it (Focus) - well a Window Switch anyway :)

Passenger side window goes down from the switch on the drivers side, but not back up. Works fine from the passenger switch.

To be fair it had been intermittent needing a couple of presses to go back up for a few weeks.

Booked in with garage as have a warranty with them that should cover it, but unfortunately they are busy until next week.

Man of Honour
Not my car, but doing a favour for my neighbour. Their Mk4 Mondeo had bluetooth for phones, but they wanted to stream music as well. Did some reading, turns out it's a module switch and a firmware update via USB. Sounds easy enough.

Module located on ebay for £35. Don't need the USB cable as it's a mini usb and I've got a few of those hanging around. If they need it I can mount one in the glove box at some point. 15 minutes undoing the glovebox and pullign it out of the way. 2 minutes to switch the module. Quick power on test before reassembly, all working. 22 minutes to run the firmware update..... During which time I just sat in the car and messed about with my phone. Then 10 minutes to reassemble, and finally 5 minutes to teach them how to use the streaming. Certainly easier to teach than my parents are, whilst being about the same age.

They've asked me to get a dashcam for them and mount it when they come back from holiday. Going to go with the Aukey Dual Dash Cam, as I have 2 of them sitting in the lounge at the moment. *amazon screwed up and sent 2 and didn't want it back...* Going to pick up a hardwire kit for it, just to hide as many cables as possible.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Reverted the car back to stock (Radio and Gearknob lol), updated ads and posted it on pistonheads. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought that looked to be an incredibly strong asking price before I had a nosey on auto trader. Can't believe people are willing to pay a grand+ (on a car under £3k rather importantly) more for two less doors and kid on type R looks!

It looks tidy enough though so good luck with it

Don
Picked the Jag up from 2 weeks in body shop having a front end respray (stone chips and peeling lacquer) and drove it straight to main dealer to have a coolant leek sorted :(

Took BMW into indie for new pads and disks, obv a prob though as it had them replaced 5k miles ago, needs 2 new callipers

Oh the joys

Man of Honour
Picked the Jag up from 2 weeks in body shop having a front end respray (stone chips and peeling lacquer) and drove it straight to main dealer to have a coolant leek sorted :(

Took BMW into indie for new pads and disks, obv a prob though as it had them replaced 5k miles ago, needs 2 new callipers

Oh the joys

Here's your issue :p

TutgUv3.jpg

Caporegime
Tried to see how fast it would go..

That's your lot Captain
Untitled-3_zps7f04e71b.png

Both of mine struggle to get past 135 but I've seen an indicated 140 from one and an indicated 145 from the other. On private roads of course... :D

But sheesh even my 89HP Octavia would do 115 indicated, whats that you're driving? :p

Soldato
Bit of a cosmetic mod for me today...new tail lights. I'd never really been that offended by the Lexus lights that I wanted to spend big money changing them. However an ex owner was selling a used pair of Valenti lights on the owners club, so I thought I'd treat myself. Very happy with them, they smarten up the rear end quite nicely :)

Bit dark, but I took a pic half way through installation as a comparison.

PK9r6px.jpg

qR4oX4w.jpg

tL0jixD.jpg

vNNOmzG.jpg

Back
Top Bottom