What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Copper slip. So they come undone again :p

As above, always done that, and most people I know do that too. Never heard of any issues as a result. Garages/tyre shops etc never do them to a specified torque either.

You really should not be using copper slip on the bolts for the wheels, you will be massively over torquing them. If they are done up to the correct torque after you have cleaned the threads they will come undone, just use an extendable wheel brace. All the tyre places I have used recently have torqued the wheels up correctly, so may be you just need to use a better place. :p

Soldato
All the tyre places I have used recently have torqued the wheels up correctly, so may be you just need to use a better place
Kwik fit and national myabe bad places then, but they are always torqued such that, apart from needing extreme force, and fearing bm iron might round the bolts, I would be concerned about car rolling off the jack if I did have a puncture in the wild, where I might forget to protect that, with non-space saver spare, in the cold of the moment.

... or call the AA ingominiously, more buisness for them.

Have never spec'd/purchased a long brace .. do halfords pro have (a non cream-cheese) one ?
edit thats cool halfords pro 18" one ~£18, and can use 19mm socket i already have.

Last edited:
Soldato
Kwik fit and national myabe bad places then, but they are always torqued such that, apart from needing extreme force, and fearing bm iron might round the bolts, I would be concerned about car rolling off the jack if I did have a puncture in the wild, where I might forget to protect that, with non-space saver spare, in the cold of the moment.

... or call the AA ingominiously, more buisness for them.

Have never spec'd/purchased a long brace .. do halfords pro have (a non cream-cheese) one ?

Generally speaking you should crack off wheel bolts before you jack the car - this is to avoid that specific problem. Not undo them completely, just get them going. Saves a world of pain.

Soldato
Generally speaking you should crack off wheel bolts before you jack the car - this is to avoid that specific problem. Not undo them completely, just get them going. Saves a world of pain.
good point - I indeed do that - so, just a comment about instability of inbuilt jacks when lifting wheel off of hub

Soldato
Well this was mightily inconvenient.

iphone232.jpg

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Picked it up from the body shop (after already declining it once) only to be greeted by an EML and zero boost.
Drove down the road to Audi (same parent company as body shop) and they can argue between themselves as to whose problem it is and who pays for the loan car.
Under the fluorescent lights, I also noticed that the dent in the brand new front wing is still there. They can also fix that while they're at it.

Paint job is perfect though (albeit, 2nd time around).

:rolleyes:

97P2i2s.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Coilovers on the Corolla, it handles fantastically. The weak point is now the lack of LSD and the drivers seat. It really is very good!

Adjustable front drop links ordered cos I can't do the old ones up tight enough to stop them knocking cos the heads are rusted.

Feels like it's on rails. Handles better than the Shedica which had an LSD, and the Mx5's.

Associate
Driving for 10 years, no punctures.

Last 3 months, 2 unrepairable punctures in the rear tyres, naturally just after I'd put a brand new set of PS4s on. So I'm now on my 3rd and 4th new rear tyre in 3 months, without even destroying them a fun way :mad:

Back
Top Bottom