• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
Hmmmm.... getting thisblack and white dot effect when my PC wakes up... any ideas? Driver or card?

https://imgur.com/a/TZIIu0V

TZIIu0V

TZIIu0V

TZIIu0V

We can only see 1 image....

Soldato
Replaced the Reference Vega 64 paste with Liquid metal. Haven't even removed the whole heatsink.
The card is running cooler, and takes to the end of the benchmark to hit 70C. Before it was doing so at 1/3 of the way.
On standard settings (Balalanced, Turbo, Custom +50PL) there are small changes. However the big ones start when you fiddle with the card.

Example.
Liquid metal
P7 1692 1150mv
P6 1537 1100mv
HBM 1100
Voltage control 1000mv
PL +50%.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/29758336
Score 21141
Graphics Score 26 063
Physics Score 16 514
Combined Score 10 592

Compared to previous
P7 1702, 1160mv
P6 1537, 1100mv
HBM 1100
Voltage control 1000mv
PL +50%.
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/29685953
Total 21084
Graphics Score 26 032
Physics Score 16 527
Combined Score 10 481

So conclusion. Liquid metal does nothing on reference Vega 64 on air.

Last edited:
Associate
Can you test it with another monitor to be sure it's not the monitor?

I'll give it a go, but my monitor has been rock solid since I bought it. Although that was a while ago.

Have you fully shutdown the PC? Do you use 18.10.1 oct18? Do you use HDMI or dp cable? Are these cables rated? Have you used ddu to remove all previous drivers?

It's been shut down fully, using 18.10.01 and DP cable. The cable has never given me trouble before but I'll see if I've got another one to try. I'll give DDU a try as well.

Soldato
I'll give it a go, but my monitor has been rock solid since I bought it. Although that was a while ago.

It's been shut down fully, using 18.10.01 and DP cable. The cable has never given me trouble before but I'll see if I've got another one to try. I'll give DDU a try as well.

a) DDU
First use DDU to whipe all GPU drivers from your system, in windows safe mode. Including the AMD and any previous drivers (Intel & Nvidia)
The use CCleaner to fix the registry. There are going to be hundrends of driver records left there.
Then install the latest drivers

b) Did you upgrade to Vega recently and when you did so you had issues?
If so you need You need DP1.4 rated cable (no point to buy DP1.2 these days). Like the Club 3D Display Port 1.4 HBR3 2m one. It costs £12.50.
Normal cables coming with monitors etc are of unknown quality and usually DP1.0 or DP1.1
For Freesync to work you need minimum 1.2a rated. But somehow these are more expensive than DP1.4 ones.

Associate
Did you upgrade to Vega recently? And when you did so you had issues?

a) DDU
First use DDU to whipe all GPU drivers from your system, in windows safe mode. Including the AMD and any previous drivers (Intel & Nvidia)
The use CCleaner to fix the registry. There are going to be hundrends of driver records left there.
Then install the latest drivers

b) DP Cable.
You need DP1.4 rated cable (no point to buy DP1.2 these days). Like the Club 3D Display Port 1.4 HBR3 2m one. It only costs £12.50.

Okay, it's a brand new Vega, installed the night before last. I've noticed the error a few times when the PC comes out of sleep, black and white noise over the image for a few seconds and then it rights itself.

I've just used DDU to wipe everything and reinstalled freesh drivers and the problem was still there. I didn't use CCleaner though, I'll try it again.

Would an older cable show the image correctly afterwards, or would it be a constant problem. Not sure what cable I'm using, I'll check...

EDIT: I'm using a DVI cable

Last edited:
Soldato
Okay, it's a brand new Vega, installed the night before last. I've noticed the error a few times when the PC comes out of sleep, black and white noise over the image for a few seconds and then it rights itself.

I've just used DDU to wipe everything and reinstalled freesh drivers and the problem was still there. I didn't use CCleaner though, I'll try it again.

Would an older cable show the image correctly afterwards, or would it be a constant problem. Not sure what cable I'm using, I'll check...

EDIT: I'm using a DVI cable

The it could the the cable converter. Use HDMI or DP.

Soldato
Out of curiosity would a buyer not be better buying the cheapest 64 they could find to watercooling rather than one with arguably the best cooler (and most expensive)

Depends. The only cards you can buy "new" are Strix, Nitro and Red Devil. You cannot buy reference card "new" any more.
From the three above the 2 guaranteed having block, are Nitro & Strix.

The "most expensive" is kinda null and void argument. Strix was the most expensive, yet it has engineering issues, and the VRMs aren't getting cooled, resulting to performance worse than the reference card.
True you can fix the card by replacing the thermal pads with thick 3mm ones, but out of the scope.

Next one up, the Nitro was/is more expensive than the Red Devil, but both perform the same regardless the price.

Bottom to the rack is the Gigabyte one, cheaper for quite some time now, but the cooler is sub par and doesn't have waterblock for it.

Then is the used market if someone wants to delve into the great unknown.... I was lucky the second Vega 64 bought last week (reference), was brand new (i was surprised tbh) , but there are many from ex mining rigs having received a heavy punisment (the HBM), and many are flashed to mining bios.

Soldato
And have some money to spare :D

Heh, is cheaper to buy 2 Vega 64s for CF than 1 RTX2080ti these days :p
Waiting for next week to have them crossfired mine, before I decide if the watercooled Nitro goes. Apparently 80% of the AAA games work out of the box.
Other have weird behaviour... Like the Wolfenstein 2.... If you have CF ON it doesn't work. If you have CF OFF both cards working giving you 100% scaling.... (second best scaling after RE7 with 103% boost).

And if AMD puts out RT DXR support, 2 Vega 64s have more compute power than the RTX2080Ti to do Ray tracing :D

Which already is not good good enough, and DICE announced that chunks of ray tracing will be moved to CPU to improve bit the performance, raising the minimum CPU requirements for ray traicing significatly. (their words).

Actually the "more you buy the more you save" Nvidia motto, applies to AMD Vega literally :p

Soldato
@TonyTurbo78 to buy EK QDC, fittings and tube costs as much as to buy a B-grade prefilled GTX1080 waterblock :p
So watercooling tests with the reference card have to wait for Monday-Tuesday. Though that didn't stopped me to put the waterblock, which is really beautiful.
fn9GaWb.jpg

Compared to the Nitro block.

BuI5ixi.png

Soldato
Depends. The only cards you can buy "new" are Strix, Nitro and Red Devil. You cannot buy reference card "new" any more.
From the three above the 2 guaranteed having block, are Nitro & Strix.

The "most expensive" is kinda null and void argument. Strix was the most expensive, yet it has engineering issues, and the VRMs aren't getting cooled, resulting to performance worse than the reference card.
True you can fix the card by replacing the thermal pads with thick 3mm ones, but out of the scope.

Next one up, the Nitro was/is more expensive than the Red Devil, but both perform the same regardless the price.

Bottom to the rack is the Gigabyte one, cheaper for quite some time now, but the cooler is sub par and doesn't have waterblock for it.

Then is the used market if someone wants to delve into the great unknown.... I was lucky the second Vega 64 bought last week (reference), was brand new (i was surprised tbh) , but there are many from ex mining rigs having received a heavy punisment (the HBM), and many are flashed to mining bios.
Ah nice one. Thanks for the detailed explanation my good man. I’m just trying to gather as much info on vega64 as possible. Really want to jump on board but keep ‘himming and haaing’ - missed the Red Devil deal with all my assing about.
The nitro looks tempting but I’m pretty certain with the nitro card I’d need to replace my psu (asked previously in this thread about it in relation to the Red Devil and the consensus was ‘probably ok’)
Ultimate plan would be to put it under water but only when I come to replace my zen1 with zen2 cpu and board.

Soldato
Ah nice one. Thanks for the detailed explanation my good man. I’m just trying to gather as much info on vega64 as possible. Really want to jump on board but keep ‘himming and haaing’ - missed the Red Devil deal with all my assing about.
The nitro looks tempting but I’m pretty certain with the nitro card I’d need to replace my psu (asked previously in this thread about it in relation to the Red Devil and the consensus was ‘probably ok’)
Ultimate plan would be to put it under water but only when I come to replace my zen1 with zen2 cpu and board.

If you do not push 330W, which is not needed, and stick to Balanced mode with 1100 HBM you are fine at 2560x1440 with freesync. Most 650W+ PSU will take it.
Also rumour has it, that a watercooled Nitro could possibly go for sale in MM, if it's owner decides to stick to it's current miTX board and not upgrade to X399 next week.

Soldato
If you do not push 330W, which is not needed, and stick to Balanced mode with 1100 HBM you are fine at 2560x1440 with freesync. Most 650W+ PSU will take it.
Also rumour has it, that a watercooled Nitro could possibly go for sale in MM, if it's owner decides to stick to it's current miTX board and not upgrade to X399 next week.
Haha yes, one wonders who that might be ;)
Sadly though, pulling my cpu loop apart and ‘re-working’ a load of hardline tubing isn’t an option for me at the mo (6month old takes up quite a bit of my time)
Was tempted by the strixx at 449 but by the time you factor in replacing the thermal pads (cost and time) you’re at the same price as the nitro. Just bugs me a tad the idea of buying gpu with arguably the best cooler on the market then ripping it off at a later date! (Yea I’m weird/miserable like that :p)

Edit: I realise I could run the strixx as it is till I’m ready to wc it but my ocd wouldn’t let that happen!

Back
Top Bottom