• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you buy a £700 AMD GPU minus RTX that was as fast as a 2080 Ti

Associate
No. The content just isn't there to justify spending £700 on a GPU, no matter who manufactures it. There used to be a night and day difference between PC version of games and other formats.

These days it's just souped up console ports in terms of the AAA market.

Now devs/publishers don't even bother their backside taking advantage of the better tech available on PC since everything is parity with other platforms, therefore why even bother spending the extra money as the return is just minimal for the consumer.

Well I agree fully, they don't seem to take advantage of high performance hardware.

So why bother, more and more games can be run with much less powerful hardware.

So the good news is that you don't need bleeding ultra fast hardware whereas a mid range card can run it on ultra at above 30fps at 1080p.

So yea like with people's budget for a gpu like £300 max can buy them a gpu with plenty of power to run these games on ultra setting anyways which is good news.

It all depends on the users preferance on how much fps you need or prefer though.

Hope that makes sense.

Dan.

Last edited:
Associate
Nope I can easily afford to buy anything I wish but have decided that my limit on a new GPU is £500 and not a penny more.

I am the same as you, but I think my limit is about £450. If there were any games about worth playing then maybe a bit more. I will see what is the best card for that price when cyber punk comes out and that will probably get my cash.

Soldato
You've not really thought that sentence through have you? What you are saying is that for the lifespan of the 2080/Ti Nvidia are not going to make many more sales as most people already have them. You might as well say that as most people already have cars, they aren't going to sell many more. ;)

What I'm trying to say is at the current price point of a 2080/Ti, those who will get them have gotten them.

Most other people are probably waiting for the price drop as its probably a bit out of their budget or they don't feel the value is there. If AMD are going to drop their card AFTER Nvidia have made their price drop, then the price point is a bit moot.

I do get what you're saying. 2080s and 2080tis are still flying off the shelves. If AMD do come out with a 2080ti equivalent at a decent price point say in 6 months or a year, NVIDIA can simply just slash their prices on a 12-18 month old card and probably grab a lot of the market share at the high end...

Or they could just release new cards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an NVIDIA fanboy at all. I have a 4k screen and want to power it. Thats about it, and sadly only the price gouging, horrible NVIDIA offer that.

Soldato
What I'm trying to say is at the current price point of a 2080/Ti, those who will get them have gotten them.

Most other people are probably waiting for the price drop as its probably a bit out of their budget or they don't feel the value is there. If AMD are going to drop their card AFTER Nvidia have made their price drop, then the price point is a bit moot.

I do get what you're saying. 2080s and 2080tis are still flying off the shelves. If AMD do come out with a 2080ti equivalent at a decent price point say in 6 months or a year, NVIDIA can simply just slash their prices on a 12-18 month old card and probably grab a lot of the market share at the high end...

Or they could just release new cards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an NVIDIA fanboy at all. I have a 4k screen and want to power it. Thats about it, and sadly only the price gouging, horrible NVIDIA offer that.
I only got this to say about current state of the RTX cards that Nvidia introduce to the market:
"With great (graphic) power, comes great irresponsibility/instability" :p

Soldato
I only got this to say about current state of the RTX cards that Nvidia introduce to the market:
"With great (graphic) power, comes great irresponsibility/instability" :p

Yeah, luckily I've had no instability but the reports of the 2080ti failure rates is alarming.

I just think the whole RTX thing is a mid-generation money-grabbing exercise for them. They've basically saw AMD can't compete or offer better performance for the last 36 months so they're going to take advantage of everyone before they do finally catch up.

Man of Honour
OP
If I wasn't tied into G-Sync then maybe as that's been the most I've paid for a GPU so far and I wasn't exactly happy about that with the pricing sneaking up every release.

NVidia should be supporting the cost of G-Sync monitors instead of allowing the vendors to pass on the cost to the end user.

G-Sync has made NVidia a huge amount of money just by trying users into the system and making it difficult to jump to the red team.

Soldato
NVidia should be supporting the cost of G-Sync monitors instead of allowing the vendors to pass on the cost to the end user.

G-Sync has made NVidia a huge amount of money just by trying users into the system and making it difficult to jump to the red team.

I mean I wouldn't be adversed to changing to Freesync but it puts the cost up even more whilst having to sell on more kit after and last time I checked their isn't currently a 34" freesync superwide that has the same features or looks as my current monitor.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah, luckily I've had no instability but the reports of the 2080ti failure rates is alarming.

I just think the whole RTX thing is a mid-generation money-grabbing exercise for them. They've basically saw AMD can't compete or offer better performance for the last 36 months so they're going to take advantage of everyone before they do finally catch up.

It has given NVidia the opportunity to get away with releasing a range of cards that are not really up to the job if they had to sell at reasonable price points. If AMD had competitive products at the high end I think it would be a one horse race.

RTX Ray Tracing does work just but only if you spend silly money on one of the high end cards. This makes Turing a flawed product but NVidia can get away with it as there is no competition.

Soldato
I don't think we will see much of a price reduction on the 20XX cards over the course of their availability as they use very big dies that are expensive to make.

Personally I hope they keep the prices at the high end, watching as PC gaming becomes more and more unaffordable if you want to buy in to the Nvidia eco system, and the criticism and back lash they will get from game developers when they sell a tiny percentage of the expected volume due to the expense of playing them "the way it's meant to be played".

Only then one they have almost killed the high end of PC gaming will they consider reducing the prices, when it is too late.

Man of Honour
OP
Personally I hope they keep the prices at the high end, watching as PC gaming becomes more and more unaffordable if you want to buy in to the Nvidia eco system, and the criticism and back lash they will get from game developers when they sell a tiny percentage of the expected volume due to the expense of playing them "the way it's meant to be played".

Only then one they have almost killed the high end of PC gaming will they consider reducing the prices, when it is too late.

Hopefully in a couple of years time intel will have cards available and will be looking for marketshare.

Back
Top Bottom