• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you buy a £700 AMD GPU minus RTX that was as fast as a 2080 Ti

Associate
I can't even if I want to because I have a G-Sync monitor which I purchased because of AMD's lacklustre performance lately. Now I am stuck with nvidia.

Man of Honour
No, I wouldn't pay £700 for a gpu from any manufacturer. I didn't like paying £389 for my GTX1070 a couple of months after launch let alone the absurd prices for the latest cards. Personally I couldn't care less about ray tracing so a card without it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, just the price.

Associate
Nope I can easily afford to buy anything I wish but have decided that my limit on a new GPU is £500 and not a penny more.
Yup, that's pretty much me.

I remember not being able to afford things and overclocking budget equipment to get much higher performance - that attitude has kind of stuck with me, though I can afford anything here now.

I'd love to see amd taking on the high end nvidia cards though - I have 2 freesync monitors, 4k and 1440.

Permabanned
I'd never pay £700 for a GPU.
I think RTX is not good value, huge extra cost for very little benefit. Maybe worth a tenner or so, tops.
I had bad experience with AMD drivers in the past, so I'd be very reluctant to buy one.

I paid £500 for the 1080 and it's been a good card but I defo haven't got my money's worth, coulda just got a 1060 instead, I'm not gaming as much as I used to, new games just aren't that interesting and freemium really blows, so I'll be looking at something lower next time, maybe even an HTPC card.

Soldato
Sadly no,

The cost of replacing my 1440p G sync monitor wipes out most of the saving.

I'm tempted by 2080 upgrade to my 980Ti. But £650 would be my max and I would want a mid tier card for that, not one with a crap blower cooler and a warranty that you have to send the GPU off to East Asia and wait 2 months for a replacement.

Soldato
£550 max.

To me no graphic card is worth paying more than that, unless it is like the "second coming of 8800GTX or Radeon 9700/9800" kind of performance jump wise vs the gen before it.

Last edited:
Don
What would you all buy instead?

I'll continue to buy second hand cards that everyone else has take a "hit" on, as I don't need cutting edge cards.
I'd buy another £150 7850 style mid range card in an instant if it existed (that card seemed to last forever), but would stretch and buy a top end card if it was around the £500 mark with decent performance

Soldato
I'll continue to buy second hand cards that everyone else has take a "hit" on, as I don't need cutting edge cards.
I'd buy another £150 7850 style mid range card in an instant if it existed (that card seemed to last forever), but would stretch and buy a top end card if it was around the £500 mark with decent performance

Which is fine but nothing second hand for £500 gets you 2080Ti performance.

I don't think the OP posted this thread to say people that buy 1060/1070/Vega cards will suddenly spend £700 on a top end card.

My grandma may as well post in this thread and say, no she wouldn't spend £700 on an AMD 2080Ti equivalent, the way this thread has gone.

With the 9900K at $500 and the rumoured 3800/3850X up there as well, more powerful hardware is coming at a higher cost.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Which is fine but nothing second hand for £500 gets you 2080Ti performance.

I don't think the OP posted this thread to say people that buy 1060/1070/Vega cards will suddenly spend £700 on a top end card.

My grandma may as well post in this thread and say, no she wouldn't spend £700 on an AMD 2080Ti equivalent, the way this thread has gone.

With the 9900K at $500 and the rumoured 3800/3850X up there as well, more powerful hardware is coming at a higher cost.
OP asked question, people answered question. I don't see the problem.

Why don't you ask for another sub-forum where only people who spend £1000+ on a GPU can post?

Soldato
OP asked question, people answered question. I don't see the problem.

Why don't you ask for another sub-forum where only people who spend £1000+ on a GPU can post?

The OP set a clear context. A competitor to the 2080Ti at that end of the market and asking if ray tracing would be worth the difference to people.

When the OP says he thinks people will jump at it, I would bet a lot of money (Gibbo certainly would) that he is right.

Soldato
As in the title -

Would you buy a £700 AMD GPU minus RTX that was as fast as a 2080 Ti?

I personally think if people had the choice they would jump at the chance of going for the AMD option.

I feel that although Ray Tracing is a nice feature it have been rolled out a couple of generations too early on very large and expensive dies.

Is Ray Tracing worth paying £300 extra for?

if I needed the horsepower, and it was a choice of that or a 2080ti, probably yes.

Soldato
If AMD bring 2080Ti performance for £600-£800 I’ll buy 10,000 units right now!

Sales on such a product would be insane! :)

This coming from gibbo who knows the 10 series sold like hotcakes after RTX launched and if he could he would be buying 1000s more 1080 ti's right now :)

Back
Top Bottom