• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
Hi, I currently have a 4gb Asus r9 fury strix would the Vega 64 nitro at £399 be a good replacement ?

How does this card handle freesync in comparison to older AMD cards , my knowledge is that freesync only works between 35 and 90 fps so i have always made sure i have stayed with in those frames .

is freesync still worth using or just run everything at max ? just trying to justify the upgrade from what i currently have .

my monitor is the MG279Q.

any help greatly appreciated

Associate
How does this card handle freesync in comparison to older AMD cards , my knowledge is that freesync only works between 35 and 90 fps so i have always made sure i have stayed with in those frames .

is freesync still worth using or just run everything at max ? just trying to justify the upgrade from what i currently have .

I have a samsung cfg70 .Its range is 70 to 120 and the Vega 64 will run almost anything in that range.I feel 144 is just as smooth and a tad bit more responsive but with a little bit of tearing.

Soldato
Man you really have to appreciate the build quality of the nitro+. It upsets me hiding it away in my case, feels German like build quality. The vapour chamber keeps the card stone cold. I'm hitting 60c in battlefield!

Soldato

I have the same monitor and a Red Devil vega 64. It handles it fine in the 57-144 range in CRU. Even if on the odd occasion it goes lower I don't notice due to LFC.

Soldato
Just a query regarding these game codes you get with the vega 64/56, etc. I've registered with AMD rewards a while back and I've since heard nowt from them. Whats the procedure to get hold of these codes so I can download? I know The division 2 isn't out yet, but resident evil 2 is (I think), so I'm wondering how to hold of it.

Soldato
how does a 1700mhz Vega 64 compare vs a 1080ti?

I'm probably in a pretty good position to give you an idea as I have s vega64 system (in my sig) and a 1080ti system as a second system for SIM racing. I clock mine at 1700/1100 for gaming and 1750/1180 for benching. In gaming is say it's half way between a 1080 and 1080ti. If you head over to Firestrike benchmarks charts https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/firestrike-standard-bench-thread.18665940/ you'll see my vega64 hit over 27k graphics score where as the 1080tis hit around 29k to around 34k depending on the OC.

Soldato
I'm probably in a pretty good position to give you an idea as I have s vega64 system (in my sig) and a 1080ti system as a second system for SIM racing. I clock mine at 1700/1100 for gaming and 1750/1180 for benching. In gaming is say it's half way between a 1080 and 1080ti. If you head over to Firestrike benchmarks charts https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/firestrike-standard-bench-thread.18665940/ you'll see my vega64 hit over 27k graphics score where as the 1080tis hit around 29k to around 34k depending on the OC.

thank you, I acutally downgraded from a 1080ti, no regrets as I need it for apple products ;)

Associate
Im looking to upgrade my gfx card from a 1060 as I want to move that to another machine. Ive been leaning toward a RTX2070 but the Vega64 does look to be better value for money. Can any owners help with the following questions:

- Can Vega64 handle 1080p and 1440p gaming at 60+fps on the vast majority of games?

- How good is it at VR? I want to try VR sims (racing, flight, space) and wonder how Vega64 compares to a RTX2070 in VR.

- Can it encode video as well as Nvidia GPUs? I use my 1060 a lot for h265 encoding and dont want to take a hit here.

- Will I be ok with a 650W psu as i know Vega 64s draw more power than Nvidias cards?

Ive no interest in ray tracing or 4k gaming at this time. It will be paired with a Ryzen 2700x so shouldn't be cpu limited.

Thanks

Soldato
Im looking to upgrade my gfx card from a 1060 as I want to move that to another machine. Ive been leaning toward a RTX2070 but the Vega64 does look to be better value for money. Can any owners help with the following questions:

- Can Vega64 handle 1080p and 1440p gaming at 60+fps on the vast majority of games?

Yes with ease, most of my games run at over 100fps running high or ultra presets at 1440p

- How good is it at VR? I want to try VR sims (racing, flight, space) and wonder how Vega64 compares to a RTX2070 in VR.

Not sure, I don't have VR headset, still not good enough imo.

- Can it encode video as well as Nvidia GPUs? I use my 1060 a lot for h265 encoding and dont want to take a hit here.

Yes it can, the AMD encoder is very good also

- Will I be ok with a 650W psu as i know Vega 64s draw more power than Nvidias cards?
I run a 1200w but I reckon 800w is the Sweet spot for headroom. You might be just about ok if it's a high quality make, but 650w I wouldn't be comfortable with.

Ive no interest in ray tracing or 4k gaming at this time. It will be paired with a Ryzen 2700x so shouldn't be cpu limited.

Thanks

Associate
I'm having serious issues trying to get the adrenalin drivers to install.
I tried installing them on my r390 but the installer kept hanging on the detecting hardware screen.
So I tried installing my vega 64 - and it's still hanging on the detecting hardware screen.
Any ideas what's causing this?

Soldato
I'm having serious issues trying to get the adrenalin drivers to install.
I tried installing them on my r390 but the installer kept hanging on the detecting hardware screen.
So I tried installing my vega 64 - and it's still hanging on the detecting hardware screen.
Any ideas what's causing this?

DDU Uninstall then re install driver

Back
Top Bottom