• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

I don't see how this can apply more pressure to the surface of the GPU/HBM2 from the heatsink, the sprung metal 4 way bracket on the back of the PCB is pulling the heatsink towards the GPU with screws through the PCB.
this bracket has 4 legs one for each corner, if we were to say each leg sits off the PCB 6mm when the center of the bracket is sitting flat on the back of the PCB/GPU when you tighten up the screws the bracket is applying
6mm of sprung force to the heatsink on the other side of the PCB. if we place a 1mm thick washer to back of PCB under each leg of the bracket and then tighten the screw you have 5mm of sprung force as the washer has taken away 1mm of it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_VII/33.html

So really this is reducing pressure of the heatsink on the GPU as it doesn't have so much sprung force pulling the heatsink, perhaps the better results come from more even pressure applied after removing the screws.
or the screws have been tightened up more evenly when putting the 4 leg bracket back on.

I don't see how this can apply more pressure to the surface of the GPU/HBM2 from the heatsink, the sprung metal 4 way bracket on the back of the PCB is pulling the heatsink towards the GPU with screws through the PCB.
this bracket has 4 legs one for each corner, if we were to say each leg sits off the PCB 6mm when the center of the bracket is sitting flat on the back of the PCB/GPU when you tighten up the screws the bracket is applying
6mm of sprung force to the heatsink on the other side of the PCB. if we place a 1mm thick washer to back of PCB under each leg of the bracket and then tighten the screw you have 5mm of sprung force as the washer has taken away 1mm of it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_VII/33.html

So really this is reducing pressure of the heatsink on the GPU as it doesn't have so much sprung force pulling the heatsink, perhaps the better results come from more even pressure applied after removing the screws.
or the screws have been tightened up more evenly when putting the 4 leg bracket back on.

Thats reminds me the Bykski waterblock for the V64 Nitro.
I followed the guide, and the GPU was running hot, especially the "hot point" hitting 100C.
So I put the bracket, removing the original screws and using the long one supplied for the block plus the original bracket springs.
Suprisingly the temps dropped down to the "floor" and the hot point didn't went over 80C again.

The Heatkiller IV block using on the reference V64, doesn't need that bracket as it of different design and does damn awesome job.

Decide to pay the extra £49 and went for the Asrock version. Here it is!

DQtp13U.jpg

Cant wait to get it plugged in and see what it can do. Only going for 1 card this time X-fire is only really working on benchmarks, very few actual games, particularly ones that need it!

Exciting Times! :)
v3e15OD.jpg.png
pu73sNa.jpg.png

First post on the forum woho! :)

I didn't pay a premium for the asus version, they were all the same price were i got it from.
u551otn.jpg

Had this on Monday ,with the latest driver it runs pretty great ,cracked 31k in FS GPU score so far :)
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/18321086

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

wnI9JSp.png

Date 15/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Nocliptoni, Link
Date 15/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, jmeistr, Link
Date 15/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, djbully, Link
Date 12/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, LtMatt, Link
Date 11/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Harry Hodgson, Link
Date 11/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Otellino, Link
Date 11/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Colzy, Link
Date 09/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, artur_k, Link
Date 09/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Dicehunter, Link
Date 09/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Illuminist, Link
Date 09/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, vapor matt, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, spook2575, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, L-Digital82, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Uzu, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, drskiba, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, nashathedog, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Chud_Jenny, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Bloot, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Vince, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, zoffster1, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, FordneyMcCumber, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Vish Petrol, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Dave2150, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Radeon VII.

Decide to pay the extra £49 and went for the Asrock version. Here it is!

Cant wait to get it plugged in and see what it can do. Only going for 1 card this time X-fire is only really working on benchmarks, very few actual games, particularly ones that need it!

Exciting Times! :)

AMD told us the VII doesn't support Crossfire so it's just as well you're planning to go with just the one. :D

I wonder what they mean by doesn't support it?

AMD told us the VII doesn't support Crossfire so it's just as well you're planning to go with just the one. :D

I wonder what they mean by doesn't support it?

It supports multi gpu dx12 if the game devs put in support for it, just seems like they're stopping crossfire support from this point on.

Thinking of sending my R7 back, I've noticed that junction temp gets up to 110'c really easily when a games settings is set to max, Resident Evil 2 for example, And after a while my whole system freezes up and needs a hard reset, There are no graphical artefacts or anything but this level of instability is getting a little annoying and I've read other forums of people getting the exact same, No graphical glitches but unstable performance.

I'm curious, Are these mods only really meant for aftermarket cooling i.e AIO bracket, Waterblock etc... ?

If it was my RVII I wouldn't use the mods unless I'd improved vastly Tj temps vs stock factory setup.

Just as an example the prime tester of mods with his AIO mod has say ~60C Tj, when using the PP mod it can hit ~75C. So perhaps an aircooled setup could throttle, so not really benefit and or be detrimental to GPU, perhaps not straight away, but could well be excessive for regular use.

Thinking of sending my R7 back, I've noticed that junction temp gets up to 110'c really easily when a games settings is set to max, Resident Evil 2 for example, And after a while my whole system freezes up and needs a hard reset, There are no graphical artefacts or anything but this level of instability is getting a little annoying and I've read other forums of people getting the exact same, No graphical glitches but unstable performance.
I would send it back, this is what I did last week. It just wouldn't run a game at default settings without overheating and crashing, combine that with the fact it would refuse to undervolt and that was too much
does yours undervolt?

Back
Top Bottom