• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Soldato
yo
can you crossfire radeon 7s? is its a nv link bridge and are you getting double framerates or is a like sli, poor?

AMD cards didn't require a bridge since Hawaii.

However Radeon VII doesn't support traditional xfire but support mGPU in DX12, and Vulcan through async compute, assuming the devs have implemented it.

Soldato
The reviewers have to review it out of the box as is, they can do separate articles for undervolting etc but first day reviews are always about how it performs out of the box.

This has never been the case, or release day reviews would not contain section on overclocking. The truth is that overclocking has fundamentally changed and will keep doing so. Any review that fails to even attempt undervolting a Radeon VII is a fail IMHO, given what is kown on how they can be undervolted.

I have seen some people claim Turing can be undervolted, but it's not the same for example. With Turing, undervolting means you are artificially (or manually) throttling your GPU to prevent it reaching the higher voltage states. With Vega you can actually undervolt to reach higher clocks.

Permabanned
Interesting - my 64 nitro+ arrived without the pci-e strip, one of the DP dust covers and the install disk missing. I thought it must have been a customer return, rather than Sapphire in a rush.
AMD really need to get their house in order better as both Vega releases have been pushed out the door on shaky feet, When I bought the Vega 64 AIO the only thing in the box was a generic how to install your graphics card that was from a regular aircooled card not an AIO.

Permabanned
The 7 feels like there's a lot of work needed still on AMD's side of it,
My memory won't do anything at the moment, At stock it runs at 1000mhz but if I try to put any sort of overclock on it I get a locked 800mhz.
Overclocking the cores no different, if I start tweaking the performance drops,
The only way to get it going up is by only touching the power limit & then the improvement is miniscule.
Undervoltings the same, If I undervolt performance drops even if I up the clocks.
At the moment it's the polar opposite of the 14nm Vega's.
They have a lot of tweaking room while the 7 has none.

Soldato
My memory won't do anything at the moment, At stock it runs at 1000mhz but if I try to put any sort of overclock on it I get a locked 800mhz.
The only way to get it going up is by only touching the power limit & then the improvement is miniscule.
Undervoltings the same, If I undervolt performance drops even if I up the clocks.

I find it extremely odd that some cards/drivers can overclock fine, but others cannot. Glitch in the matrix of system variables perhaps.

Permabanned
I find it extremely odd that some cards/drivers can overclock fine, but others cannot. Glitch in the matrix of system variables perhaps.

It is, It lets me do the overclocking it just just doesn't do anything, Last night I put the core clock to 1875 I think it was and it did 3dmark benches with out an issue other than the actual result going down slightly.

These are all results of runs with different clocks, the highest was when I only touched the power limit, I forget which were which out of the other due to clocks not working but you can see what's happening.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/1.../18240720/fs/18227926/fs/18227852/fs/18227763

The 11,902 is stock & the 12040 is with just the power limit up.

My tweaked V64 isn't far behind.

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/16907464

Last edited:
Associate

This is really weird, in that I don't know anything about AMD cards or wattman until today what I have briefly read, but I can undervolt to 930mv and it sits quite happy at 1800mhz underload, temps are good, fans don't go crazy high.
I am using the last release drivers from AMD think they were on the 6th which by all accounts are better than the pre release drivers. below 920mv I start to get glitches. all ive changed in watt man is the core voltage, I left everything else
alone until I understand it better.

Soldato
Mine is exactly like yours, in time spy I can lower mv to 980 no lower, any hbm increase causes 800 lock any core increase make the core fluctuate or just run slower

Soldato
This is really weird, in that I don't know anything about AMD cards or wattman until today what I have briefly read, but I can undervolt to 930mv and it sits quite happy at 1800mhz underload, temps are good, fans don't go crazy high.
I am using the last release drivers from AMD think they were on the 6th which by all accounts are better than the pre release drivers. below 920mv I start to get glitches. all ive changed in watt man is the core voltage, I left everything else
alone until I understand it better.
Yours is a better chip than some I think
What do you test it with? Have you tried time spy?

Associate
Yours is a better chip than some I think
What do you test it with? Have you tried time spy?

I looped heaven for an hour and also played some COD and briefly tried a few games tomb raider ect. ive had no issues and seems its no where near as noisy as some have said in reviews.

I did see one review where the reason they use the Hitachi thermal interface was because it offers some compression as there can be a slight height difference between HBM and core, and some contact tests proved this.

Not sure if this will give some cards more heat if HBM higher than core but I would think so.

I guess I might have been lucky with this one, but theres always one better some where.

Associate
Same experience here, there's a lot of work to be done on this cards yet... Anyway stock performance is pretty good and now voltages are not as insane as they were on the original Vega.

Back
Top Bottom