• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Soldato
I would send it back, this is what I did last week. It just wouldn't run a game at default settings without overheating and crashing, combine that with the fact it would refuse to undervolt and that was too much
does yours undervolt?

Yeah mine undervolts great, I can run 950 at stock clocks and junction temp comes down to 90'c, GPU die temp comes down to 68'c and it runs stable but being unstable at stock volts is not good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah mine undervolts great, I can run 950 at stock clocks and junction temp comes down to 90'c, GPU die temp comes down to 68'c and it runs stable but being unstable at stock volts is not good.
At least yours undervolts, mine was 1061mv and hated anything less so I had no choice but to send it back, the only solution was to underclock the card, and no one should ever have to do that for £650, hetes hoping ocuk and me a decent replacement
Resident evil was the first game I tried and crashed in as well.
Many others here don't have any of the problems we have

Soldato
At least yours undervolts, mine was 1061mv and hated anything less so I had no choice but to send it back, the only solution was to underclock the card, and no one should ever have to do that for £650, hetes hoping ocuk and me a decent replacement
Resident evil was the first game I tried and crashed in as well.
Many others here don't have any of the problems we have

I think mine after a little bit more testing was just a bit too aggressive on the volts at stock, At 950 and 1800MHz core it runs rock solid, If I do get any further problems though it will go back.

Man of Honour
OP
Something extra came with my Haribo: xeYvmws.jpg

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

wnI9JSp.png

Date 17/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, willb1967, Link
Date 15/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Nocliptoni, Link
Date 15/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, jmeistr, Link
Date 15/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, djbully, Link
Date 12/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, LtMatt, Link
Date 11/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Harry Hodgson, Link
Date 11/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Otellino, Link
Date 11/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Colzy, Link
Date 09/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, artur_k, Link
Date 09/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Dicehunter, Link
Date 09/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Illuminist, Link
Date 09/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, vapor matt, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, spook2575, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, L-Digital82, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Uzu, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, drskiba, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, nashathedog, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Chud_Jenny, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Bloot, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Vince, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, zoffster1, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, FordneyMcCumber, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Vish Petrol, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Dave2150, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Radeon VII.

Associate
Anyone getting wrong numbers in the Overlay? GPU set to 1800MHz but never goes above 1775MHz. Temperatures are fine, below 60C.

I believe it's due to the 2 second update interval or something. Still trying to figure out the whole OC settings thing. Set mine to 1802 (950mV), 1150 mem - and yet the wattman graph shows peak of well over 1800 gpu speed and well over 1200 mem after playing a game. Don't know how accurate all this status reading is in wattman, or how the overboost thing works?

Nice and quiet card playing RE2 in DX11 mode, but when I switch to DX12 and up the model quality beyond 100% fans ramp up really quickly and get's noisy. RE2 setting shows used memory in yellow stating "memory usage high, might cause instability" even though it's a lot less than the 16GB available. Game/driver bug?

It's all early days so think it will take a while to get the best out of this card. :)

Associate
I believe it's due to the 2 second update interval or something. Still trying to figure out the whole OC settings thing. Set mine to 1802 (950mV), 1150 mem - and yet the wattman graph shows peak of well over 1800 gpu speed and well over 1200 mem after playing a game. Don't know how accurate all this status reading is in wattman, or how the overboost thing works?

Nice and quiet card playing RE2 in DX11 mode, but when I switch to DX12 and up the model quality beyond 100% fans ramp up really quickly and get's noisy. RE2 setting shows used memory in yellow stating "memory usage high, might cause instability" even though it's a lot less than the 16GB available. Game/driver bug?

It's all early days so think it will take a while to get the best out of this card. :)

Pehaps, I'll reduce de refresh time to see if it changes, or install again afterburner.. I kinda miss it, I was used to the way it shows the stats on screen. ATM I'm 1800 @ 970mV, 950mV gives me some glitches when testing with Unigine Valley. What are you using to test? So far so good, it does not produce good numbers as as 2080 does, but I've chosen AMD this time cause I wanted, so, that's it!

Associate
Pehaps, I'll reduce de refresh time to see if it changes, or install again afterburner.. I kinda miss it, I was used to the way it shows the stats on screen. ATM I'm 1800 @ 970mV, 950mV gives me some glitches when testing with Unigine Valley. What are you using to test? So far so good, it does not produce good numbers as as 2080 does, but I've chosen AMD this time cause I wanted, so, that's it!
970mv sounds about right. I'd use the stress tests in 3DMark Timespy and Firestrike both rat out any issues doing the 20 loop test.

Last edited:
Associate
What are you using to test? So far so good, it does not produce good numbers as as 2080 does, but I've chosen AMD this time cause I wanted, so, that's it!

Ran through timespy and firestrike a few times, played games (including VR) for a few hours without issue. I could drop as low as 937mV to pass a timespy run, but would start getting glitches in games (in this case wolfenstein: the new order) after playing for a while. Why it would appear after a fair bit of gameplay I'm not sure. Heat soak maybe?

Any lower than 935mV causes lockups and black screens. Still, 1060mV down to 950mV is quite a drop. Shame wattman doesn't graph gpu voltage though, unless I missed something?

(Edit: timespy extreme stress test was crashing after several runs of the test with a black screen hang. Upped to 960mV and completed with a 99.1% result. :) ).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Anyone know how long roughly an rma takes?
I'm dying to get a replacement rv 7 this 1060 in using in the meantime is upsetting me lol

Ill give you the money to set it on fire! Genuinely, if you set it on fire ill pay to see that :) (if this seems odd to others, I do know Illuminist and have met him, I also know the pain using that 1060 is causing right now!) - Safety first of course, I want to see a video of you with a pair of glasses, lab coat and a firecracker!

Permabanned
Thinking of sending my R7 back, I've noticed that junction temp gets up to 110'c really easily when a games settings is set to max, Resident Evil 2 for example, And after a while my whole system freezes up and needs a hard reset, There are no graphical artefacts or anything but this level of instability is getting a little annoying and I've read other forums of people getting the exact same, No graphical glitches but unstable performance.

I would send it back, this is what I did last week. It just wouldn't run a game at default settings without overheating and crashing, combine that with the fact it would refuse to undervolt and that was too much
does yours undervolt?

Same here, When I sit down and spend a decent length of time gaming I get the PC crashing. Is it a driver issue? Maybe so it's best to report it.

Back
Top Bottom