Civilization VI

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Tried the 24 hour trial and actually fancied picking this up as 24 hours with work and kids wasn't enough to get a good game in, but I'd want all the DLC... Comes to a fair premium when you add on the current expansion. Wah. Will have to wait.

Soldato
Tried the 24 hour trial and actually fancied picking this up as 24 hours with work and kids wasn't enough to get a good game in, but I'd want all the DLC... Comes to a fair premium when you add on the current expansion. Wah. Will have to wait.

Just be prepared it will suck your life away. Many times a quick 10 minutes has turned into 3 or 4 hrs.

Associate

Soldato
Wow Phoenicia looks a lot of fun being able to manipulate the loyalty mechanic like that, could we have found my first civ to play as (so long as I get my Pedro win in before this comes out)

The best trick with Phoenicia is to settle one or only a few cities in a foreign continent, move your capital there and these (ab) use the policy cards and wonder you can build next to your govemental plaza to get the bonuses for a 'foreign' continent where most of you empire will now reside!

Soldato
Does anyone know if this is likely to be the final expansion, or if they're doing another? I've seen both for £35 which doesn't seem bad compared to the individual prices, but might hold fire if there is going to be another.

Soldato
Not sure that there's enough scope for a 'big' third DLC add on. Most areas of th game mechanics are quite well fleshed out from religion, to diplomacy to dynamic game enivorments for the players.

Continue release some some smaller paid DLC like scenarios or new civs that slot into the existing game?

Maybe the will come back with another stab at a colonisation style re skin of the game as a stand alone?

Soldato
Yeah I guess you're right, can't be a massive amount more they can add.

I would quite like them to have another try at colonisation, but not sure if they'd go with an expansion or standalone if they did.

Permabanned
So I played this for 1 hour at launch. Two years later I shamefully decided to give it another shot over the weekend with all the DLC/expansions, and I'm about half way though a marathon game.

I still hate it.

The graphics/artwork suck.
As does the map size.
Where are my workers? (This is a deal-breaker for me).
Animated combat explosions 4000BC. (It was hard not to alt-tab with this one).
Another mention for the new 'builder' mechanic.

On the flip side though, I'm actually surprised to find there's actually quite a lot I like. For instance, I'm not exactly sold on the districts and wonder tiles just yet, but I do like how you are far more engaged in city planning, with the additional option to combine them with certain govenors for maximum effect. I really like the eras and the milestones, all of it very well presented and on the whole it's just a more engaging game. In CIV5 I could turn spam until the 1800s before I started actually moving anything.

It's a weird game for me. Everything is too congested. The map is too small and the scale of wars in terms of units thus far, has been tiny. I hate the builder mechanic where everything just 'snaps' into place in an instance. Alongside the retarded combat explosions the surface of this game is way too arcadey.

I will see my game through and then I'll probably hit delete. Shame really, because under all the aforementioned lies a fairly deep, thought provoking and entertaining game.

Man of Honour
All games are different for all folks. My missus and I love civ 6, over 1,500 combined hours on it. We also loved Civ 5, Civ 4 and Civ 3.

Currently we are on turn 700 of a 8 player multiplayer, marathon, giant map, 39 civs game (8 human players, 31 AI) and we're loving it ! :D

Map size is a bit small, even on huge, which is why we use the Giant map mod, which makes it larger than any other Civ game has ever had.

Cant say the aesthetics bother me at all, its a series which was never about aesthetics, it was always about the playability. Theres a reason why the Civ series was instrumental in the coining of the phrase "just one more turn".

But, I do know that there are some things about Civ 6 that some folks just cant see past, I hope for them something else is out there on the market which floats their boat.

Soldato
I'm still not entirely convinced by Civilization since 4. I miss the big wars I had in that game, the legitimate surprise attacks and under handed planning by rivals. Everything had a large scale and I could tell my Civ was advancing through the ages. But with 5 and 6 everything seems so scaled down and Sims like in presentation, despite it actually being more expansive in gameplay terms. I'm definitely not a fan of the art style of 6, it's far too cutesy and colourful, 5 probably got it right in that aspect.

Saying that I do still enjoy games but it's just different and the number of epic moments seem to have drastically fallen. Like one time in IV when I was at war with a coalition, including Gandhi my only rival who was vehemently against my growing Japanese empire, sent a surprise fleet around the globe to land on the opposite side of my continent when I wasn't watching. 4 stacks of death came ashore followed by some auxiliary units. I had a worker laying down roads and got a fright when I bumped into them approaching my previously thought safe cities. 90% of my units were strategically placed on the other continent where I was making headway, including my vastly superior navy in a blockade between continents. It was one of my favourite ever moments in a Civ game :D

Man of Honour
Saying that I do still enjoy games but it's just different and the number of epic moments seem to have drastically fallen. Like one time in IV when I was at war with a coalition, including Gandhi my only rival who was vehemently against my growing Japanese empire, sent a surprise fleet around the globe to land on the opposite side of my continent when I wasn't watching. 4 stacks of death came ashore followed by some auxiliary units. I had a worker laying down roads and got a fright when I bumped into them approaching my previously thought safe cities. 90% of my units were strategically placed on the other continent where I was making headway, including my vastly superior navy in a blockade between continents. It was one of my favourite ever moments in a Civ game :D

Now, that is an interesting thing you mention. Its something that I have REALLY noticed in strategy games of the last several years. Sea and the use of Sea, by the AI. I don't know if all these games use the same AI at its core or something, but I have noticed that a hell of a lot of strategy games seem to struggle to have the AI use the seas properly. In Civ the AI doesn't really use the sea properly and I recall also that the Total War series has had major issues with its AI using the sea properly, I've also seen the AI in EU fail to use the sea to its proper effectiveness and there are several other strategy titles that I've played which also don't seem to be able to properly use the sea in the right offensive way.

Associate
Mali are so hilariously broken it's great :D You just buy everything. Get Raina to her buy district promotion, move her around your cities as needed and buy everything for cold hard cash; except the merchant districts as you buy those buildings for faith, oh, and get the Jesuit Education pantheon and you can buy science and theatre district buildings for faith too. I ended up winning a culture game on King/huge map on marathon speed with Mali. 19 trade routes, over 2k per turn and over 200k in the bank. It's just as well their unique unit is utter bobbins or they may be in line for the nerf bat.

Man of Honour
Mali are so hilariously broken it's great :D You just buy everything. Get Raina to her buy district promotion, move her around your cities as needed and buy everything for cold hard cash; except the merchant districts as you buy those buildings for faith, oh, and get the Jesuit Education pantheon and you can buy science and theatre district buildings for faith too. I ended up winning a culture game on King/huge map on marathon speed with Mali. 19 trade routes, over 2k per turn and over 200k in the bank. It's just as well their unique unit is utter bobbins or they may be in line for the nerf bat.

I need more practice with Mali, I played Mali last night (Immortal/Huge/Marathon) and did terribly. I didn't have a lot of desert in my start location which didn't help but I was ultimately crushed by the -30% production penalty Mali suffers. The AI races accelerated past me and destroyed me quite quickly. The lack of desert around my starting location hindered my gold production meaning that I was left with less gold than the AI PLUS the -30% production.

Associate
I need more practice with Mali, I played Mali last night (Immortal/Huge/Marathon) and did terribly. I didn't have a lot of desert in my start location which didn't help but I was ultimately crushed by the -30% production penalty Mali suffers. The AI races accelerated past me and destroyed me quite quickly. The lack of desert around my starting location hindered my gold production meaning that I was left with less gold than the AI PLUS the -30% production.

Yeah, they're supposed to have a desert starting bias but that doesn't always work in practice. I was lucky and my capital had 3 desert tiles on it so you get that initial faith and food boost but about 10 tiles away was a perfect location for a Petra wonder city which I managed to snag. Add to that I snatched Cahokia (the cahokia mounds are amazing - amenities and food that increases through the ages) and Nazca (the nazca lines buff every desert tile that touches them and you can place them next to each other) so once you've got your feet in the door you can mitigate the production penalties.

Have you played your beloved Phoenicia yet?

Man of Honour
Yeah, they're supposed to have a desert starting bias but that doesn't always work in practice. I was lucky and my capital had 3 desert tiles on it so you get that initial faith and food boost but about 10 tiles away was a perfect location for a Petra wonder city which I managed to snag. Add to that I snatched Cahokia (the cahokia mounds are amazing - amenities and food that increases through the ages) and Nazca (the nazca lines buff every desert tile that touches them and you can place them next to each other) so once you've got your feet in the door you can mitigate the production penalties.

Have you played your beloved Phoenicia yet?

Literally started Phoenicia tonight before the football began. Only played around 50 turns so far but the starting location looks decent. (Immortal/Huge/Marathon/18 AI and 3 human players).

Associate
Anyone suffering from constant crashing? Only just bought the game and it's driving me mad.

Game files verified several times
Uninstalled and reinstalled several times.
Windows defender disabled
Newest amd drivers

Not sure what else to try now.

Back
Top Bottom