*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Actually made it in to the gym a couple more times last week! Go me. Homage was paid yesterday to our lord and master "Chest Day", more tonight, lets see how my puny lifts continue.

It's been a while since I've posted a Deadlift video. I'm hoping you guys could take a look and advise please? :) (120kg @ 68.5kg).
Thanks!

Genuinely lose the gloves, terrible things. Use liquid chalk and stick to a DOH or Hook grip. If your Grip is failing, and you never have an intention of doing a powerlifting meet, do as much as you can without straps, then put straps on.

Mixed grip, even alternating will drive imbalances.

Other then this, everything that @CaptainRAVE said is good. To add as well, your hips are moving up before the bar begins to move, they shouldn't.

Soldato
Actually made it in to the gym a couple more times last week! Go me. Homage was paid yesterday to our lord and master "Chest Day", more tonight, lets see how my puny lifts continue.

Genuinely lose the gloves, terrible things. Use liquid chalk and stick to a DOH or Hook grip. If your Grip is failing, and you never have an intention of doing a powerlifting meet, do as much as you can without straps, then put straps on.

Mixed grip, even alternating will drive imbalances.

Other then this, everything that @CaptainRAVE said is good. To add as well, your hips are moving up before the bar begins to move, they shouldn't.

Thanks! My double overhand grip fails at about 100kg, I obviously have a really weak grip. I'm not interested in powerlifting so maybe I'll invest in some straps.

Should I drop the weight I'm lifting? I always seem to get to a point where if I want to push weight at all my form starts to suffer. I don't want to be stuck at the same weight forever.

Soldato
Maybe try and add some assistance work for your core?
If your forms failing at the higher weight, you need to do something to strengthen your form.
So I'd point to either assistance stuff, or more reps, slower at a lower weight

Man of Honour
Thanks! My double overhand grip fails at about 100kg, I obviously have a really weak grip. I'm not interested in powerlifting so maybe I'll invest in some straps.

Should I drop the weight I'm lifting? I always seem to get to a point where if I want to push weight at all my form starts to suffer. I don't want to be stuck at the same weight forever.

Eat more and you’ll push through. Every time that happened to me, I needed more food.

I would second what @Syla5 said. Go in this order - double overhand grip > chalk > straps. Ditch the gloves, forget mixed grip. I had gotten into a mixed grip habit and started to develop various niggles - back lower left side, right elbow and right shoulder. Switched to straps and all pains went. Figure I’ll use straps instead when really pushing. Figure 8 straps are really easy to use once you get used to them.

Soldato

Search YouTube for Chris Duffing Breathing and Abdominal Bracing for strength video, very good cue's to follow from that video.

Bar humping is all about learning to fire the glute hams, personally I found light RDL's great for feeling the movement, then added weight there and it helped.

If theres anyone you think in the gym can actually DL with proper form, you can also ask them for help.

Caporegime
It's been a while since I've posted a Deadlift video. I'm hoping you guys could take a look and advise please? :) (120kg @ 68.5kg).

Thanks!

Ditch gloves

Keep head neutral with your spine, no point going all Olympic

Possibly remove shoes, see what works

Back straight, imagine a piece of dowel running down your back

Double overhand for now, then chalk it, liquid chalk is amazing, your grip will slowly come along just takes time.

Learn to hip hinge, the movement should be graceful, atm you are moving in like five seperate phases.

Keep your butt down, keep your starting position as you begin to pull and keep your back and butt in tandem

It's all a pain in the arse tbh,but you want to learn correct movement patterns initially, which does take time but it'll help in the long run.

As said,breathing and bracing helps no end, so learn to brace your whole core,add in side plate holds,pallof presses and planks if needs be.

Sorry for the wall of text, don't post often as I usually get flamed so can't be arsed much now. If you search for #puregymbuckingham most of my deadlift videos are on Instagram nowadays.

Man of Honour
Up to 110kgs now, struggling to gain useful weight at the minute :( might be reaching my limit

It definitely reaches that point where you start to wonder how much more you can push without it seriously impacting on your life (time, eating etc). I have a little more in me, but not too much.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It definitely reaches that point where you start to wonder how much more you can push without it seriously impacting on your life (time, eating etc). I have a little more in me, but not too much.

Once you're done with Powerlifting come over to the aesthetic crew :D

I enjoyed my powerlifting days but my god it was hard work. Now with a young family and a busy career I'm very happy just staying in good health and looking good. No one cares if you can lift heavy weights when you're in your trunks at the pool side, they just be mirin dem gains.

Back
Top Bottom