*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Permabanned
Fats are your friend. Avocado, peanut butter and some nuts can easily add a ton of calories.

The problem is that I'm trying to balance out my Macros every meal. Might have to abandon that though, or at least just snack on nut butters and the like in-between meals.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
The problem is that I'm trying to balance out my Macros every meal. Might have to abandon that though, or at least just snack on nut butters and the like in-between meals.

When I was trying to hit cals, a couple slices of wholemeal toast with crunky peanut butter and nutella would easily add 500+ cals, and it taste so good.

Permabanned
I don't want to sound off or anything, but 3000's a lot?

Are you really active? I didn't have you in the 'massive lifter crew' (no offence :) )

Aha oh hell no! Not yet at least :p (to the massive lifter part. At the gym 5 times a week, another two times for cardio)

It's just what all the calculators say I need to get down my neck in order gain at least .5 a week.

Do tell if you think that's too much though. Would rather go off the advise of people with experience then a non sentient application on my phone xD

Last edited:
Soldato
If you are struggling to reach surplus, i personally would probably drop the cardio.

Also i think with a surplus you don't really have to be spot on in hitting macros each meal, so long as you hit your necessary proteins and minimum amount of fats, afaik it doesn't matter if the rest of the calories are carbs one day and more fats the other. Difference when cutting i suppose is that you have far less wiggle room with leftover calories after hitting the protein and healthy fat targets.

Most calculators had me at quite high maintenance. I just think that's because these calculators are aimed at people with a fair amount of lean mass to fat and it is assumed that they are probably quite experienced gym users that lift heavy and hard every time.

Permabanned
Cheers dude. I suspected that the calculators where perhaps overestimating my abilities somewhat, not too mention the fact that I may have been less 'skinny' then they where giving me credit for xD

I'm going to stick to it for a few more weeks nonetheless though (as well as keeping up with the cardio), just to see where my weight goes. Maybe aim for an even 3000.

Man of Honour
When I was trying to hit cals, a couple slices of wholemeal toast with crunky peanut butter and nutella would easily add 500+ cals, and it taste so good.

Cheers dude. I suspected that the calculators where perhaps overestimating my abilities somewhat, not too mention the fact that I may have been less 'skinny' then they where giving me credit for xD

I'm going to stick to it for a few more weeks nonetheless though (as well as keeping up with the cardio), just to see where my weight goes. Maybe aim for an even 3000.

As dumb as this sounds, LiE's advice is pretty much perfect: nail your brotein, and then chow down on EVERYTHING (fats first, then carbz).

Making mass gains effectively is a lot *harder* than some people make out because the sheer quantity of food required for the uninitiated person starting at about 70-80kg is quite surprising. Particularly if you're lifting five times a week and cardio-ing another two...

If you like nuts, then it's quite easy (but expensive)... but milk - by itself - is actually a good source of stuff, too.

Permabanned
As dumb as this sounds, LiE's advice is pretty much perfect: nail your brotein, and then chow down on EVERYTHING (fats first, then carbz).

Making mass gains effectively is a lot *harder* than some people make out because the sheer quantity of food required for the uninitiated person starting at about 70-80kg is quite surprising. Particularly if you're lifting five times a week and cardio-ing another two...

If you like nuts, then it's quite easy (but expensive)... but milk - by itself - is actually a good source of stuff, too.

When you say fats first...?

I think the other issue is that I don't really want my first bulk to be a dirty one, especially as I've worked so hard these past 6 months getting down to a frame that I'd feel comfortable building big muscle on.

Caporegime

I think the other issue is that I don't really want my first bulk to be a dirty one, especially as I've worked so hard these past 6 months getting down to a frame that I'd feel comfortable building big muscle on.

Nice fats, as LiE said.

You can get nuts in the veg aisles from Tesco, or goto Holland and Barrett

Man of Honour

Carbs are not my preferred source because they generally bloat me out (unless it's stuff like porridge, carrots or other veg/fruit).

You're also unlikely to get it right first time around, too: better to work out what works for you because it will be easier to maintain/manage, rather than worry about dirty/whatever. I've spend the past eighteen months (near enough) cutting down from 98kg to 88kg (I did drop below 85kg at one point), but decided to ease off the restrictions because it was dull and my training suffered as a result. I now eat whatever I want and my body is quite happy where it is (I'm not fat, but neither am I peeled)... if I wanted to get big(ger), I'd have to eat increasing amounts until I saw the weight increasing in line with maintaining whatever definition I still have.

There's a lot of methodology around "lean bulking" and whatever, but provided you eat good structural foods (brotein, fats, carbs) and get enough, you might as well just enjoy yourself - don't make it a misery and it will be awesome.

I also found that - whilst eating to maintain a 98kg weight - I recovered much faster from training bouts and could cope with poor lifts much more readily than on a calorie cut...

Soldato
Man I wish I would find eating 3000 calories difficult, I'd be bloody ripped by now :D

Unfortunately things got very hectic in my life so haven't stepped a foot in the gym in over two months now. At least hips don't hurt anymore, I just been doing quick hikes in the meantime and some mobility and kettlebell work in the mornings to not completely let myself go while I get myself sorted out.

I'll be travelling in Eastern Europe this summer so spoke to some old friends and they can help arrange to see a doctor very cheaply to see just what I did to my shoulder when falling over like a drunk fool that I was.

Soldato
It's been a while since I've posted a Deadlift video. I'm hoping you guys could take a look and advise please? :) (120kg @ 68.5kg).

Thanks!

Don't often post in here so someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong but a few things are looking off here:
Your hips look to be too low. Is this the position you naturally feel strong at initiating the pull at? I ask this because your hips are so low your knees are having to travel so far forwards for you to get in position holding the bar. This in turn is causing you to initiate the pull with the bar almost over your toes as your knees will feel like they are in the way of the bar on the way up. You will not be able to generate a decent amount of drive at the bottom of the movement and take the weight of the bar if you start from that position.

Having your hips start at a higher position should allow you to bring the bar nearer to the middle of your foot and help you keep tension throughout your whole body.

I think its already been mentioned elsewhere but it might be a good idea to ditch the trainers or at least use trainers with a thin & flat sole, this is something that is contributing to having your knees so far forward as soles are generally thicker at the heel. I don't use full size plates when i'm deadlifting(the 20s in pure gym determine my bar height), so if you wanted to keep the same range of motion after ditching your shoes you could always do the same. Alternatively you would bring the bars starting position an additional inch higher off the ground if you kept with the same plate size and ditched your shoes.

Whats also been mentioned is using gloves, get rid of them and use chalk if required, this should improve your grip strength somewhat. A single liquid chalk bottle will last you around a year if you use it sparingly(and you only need to use it sparingly).

As for using mixed grip, i use it and have no issues but I alternate the dominant hand and I have no issues with asymmetry. Using straps is also fine so see what you prefer.

Man of Honour

Hmmm...reading this back, LiE's advice isn't dumb but me parroting it was what I had meant.

Sorry, LiE!

Back
Top Bottom