• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Associate
Seems like there are too many unknowns and assumptions about the chips. I am totally not surprised about the higher power draw than Nvidia, they simply haven't had the money for it. Seems like they are catching up on some areas, but really still have a lot to do in the future.

Polaris and Vega per usage have put me off, and I have often thought about Nvidia cards again, I am just not keen to support such blatant greed. (My opinion, not fact). I have a weaker psu and changing all that would add to the cost.

Always Seems like Nvidia are ready to roll out the next slightly better revision though, like they could have given that in the first place. They are sandbagging pure and simple, maximising profit. And as a company, who can blame them. As a consumer, I hate it. They need a kick up the butt to get moving.

What I am hoping is Navi will OC well enough and they aren't on the limit again.

AMD always leave little headroom for overclocking, I can’t see Navi being any different.

Soldato
AMD always leave little headroom for overclocking, I can’t see Navi being any different.
They needed to do that though as they are playing catch up. It isn't really by choice, as they -upto now- have been put of the efficiency sweet spot of their power envelope in order for their chips to compete with Nvidias. As you say I expect them to be pushing the boundaries again, but I am hoping since Vega II showed some good overhead that Navi will leave a little in the tank if prepared to mess around more.

Soldato
They needed to do that though as they are playing catch up. It isn't really by choice, as they -upto now- have been put of the efficiency sweet spot of their power envelope in order for their chips to compete with Nvidias. As you say I expect them to be pushing the boundaries again, but I am hoping since Vega II showed some good overhead that Navi will leave a little in the tank if prepared to mess around more.
Just as you think AMD finally slipped one in there, nvidia release the 2060 2070 and 2080 super, at 299 399 499 with faster gddr6 ram.... damn it green guys give us a break for once you ball touchers

Soldato
Just as you think AMD finally slipped one in there, nvidia release the 2060 2070 and 2080 super, at 299 399 499 with faster gddr6 ram.... damn it green guys give us a break for once you ball touchers
And as Navi hasn't been released yet, and the prices were a Sapphire guy talking, AMD have time to adjust their price points to remain competitive. Don't end the world until AMD officially do it on launch.

Soldato
Tbf assumption is almost always bad... I am hoping to see a 5800 in a weeks time that delivers north of 2070 performance... But only based on scaling up polaris performance. However the last few GPU releases have been luke warm so not holding my breath.

Soldato
Tbf assumption is almost always bad... I am hoping to see a 5800 in a weeks time that delivers north of 2070 performance... But only based on scaling up polaris performance. However the last few GPU releases have been luke warm so not holding my breath.
Okay while we are being hopeful, i wish for a 2080ti performance card suprise !!
Called the rx5900 or rx 5790 or even the radeon 7 XT with matured 7nm die and higher clocks and all shader cores unlocked on the new rdna arc. BOOM!!

Soldato

HAHAHAHA :D

Nvidia has the shortest headroom of them all since Pascal, where barely can OC them for 70Mhz while all Pascal & Turing start throttling from 32C. (many current Nvidia cards cannot even push more than 60Mhz OC)
Making completely useless any attempt for watercooling to gain better clocks. At least with AMD, especially the Vega 64, going under water or with good cooler (Nitro) and downvolting, gives you plenty of headroom for overclocking of around 20% until you hit 80C. And thats 300Mhz, 5 times more OC than the Nvidia cards allow which doesn't fluctuate until you hit 80C, not 32C

FYI even the RX580 allows for almost 300Mhz overlock (20%), the only card that doesn't OC that well by only 100Mhz is the 590.
Compare this to ~3% can do (if that given the heavy throttling) from Pascal & Turing.

How AMD "has little headroom" for overlocking at 20% when Nvidia has 3%?

Soldato
HAHAHAHA :D

Nvidia has the shortest headroom of them all since Pascal, where barely can OC them for 70Mhz while all Pascal & Turing start throttling from 32C. (many current Nvidia cards cannot even push more than 60Mhz OC)
Making completely useless any attempt for watercooling to gain better clocks. At least with AMD, especially the Vega 64, going under water or with good cooler (Nitro) and downvolting, gives you plenty of headroom for overclocking of around 20% until you hit 80C. And thats 300Mhz, 5 times more OC than the Nvidia cards allow which doesn't fluctuate until you hit 80C, not 32C

FYI even the RX580 allows for almost 300Mhz overlock (20%), the only card that doesn't OC that well only 100Mhz is the 590.
Compare this to ~3% can do (if that given the heavy throttling) from Pascal & Turing.

How AMD "has little headroom" for overlocking at 20% when Nvidia has 3%?
Radeon 7 stock 1000mhz HBM 1800mhz core
Me - Radeon 7 1275mhz hbm max 2235mzh core max - i believe thats a 24% overclock no ?

@Chrisc

Last edited:
Soldato
I was backing you up bro !

Ahh :) sorry.

Yeah, AMD allows 20%+ OC (except on the 590), Nvidia allows 3% at best (if you can avoid the 32C+ throttling) yet you see posts "AMD doesn't have OC headroom".

I am here for many years yet never before the hypocrisy and ignorance hit that levels.
And we are supposed to be an Overclocking forum, not a stock clocking forum.

We did overclocking for almost 20 years, to get more performance out of a cheaper parts. Not buy the most expensive parts, and start bragging about FPS following a brand like religious fanatics.

Last edited:
Soldato
What was that pci-ex 4.0 3dmark test they ran at computex for navi, why was that important?

@Panos I love how when you prove a point wrong, suddenly the person dissapears as if the evidence never was given, maybe for them to return later as if none of it ever happened.... lame

Caporegime
What was that pci-ex 4.0 3dmark test they ran at computex for navi, why was that important?
The only thing I can think of is that that test was there to display the clear performance difference between pcie4 and 3. However I am also a bit confused because GPUs don't max out pcie3, let alone 4...So whilst it is impressive and perhaps a glimpse of what they could do, it seems pointless.

Unless I am missing something entirely? :) - I don't know enough about it really.

Back
Top Bottom