• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Caporegime
AIO liquid cooler like Fury x, boom , still less cost than a 2080ti and would smoosh it, but it wouldn't be XFIRE or mGPU it would act as a single card
Indeed, no need to sell it to me. I would be ordering it tomorrow if thats what they announced :D

I plan on putting whatever card I get underwater anyway. So it wouldn't be an issue for me :D

My god the thought of that actually made me giddy with excitement. Its nice to dream eh? :)

Soldato
I fully expect that with settings adjusted you can game at 4k on a 2070.
But I would have thought most people who get a 4k monitor want the best possible graphics, so having a 4k screen and having to game at graphically reducing settings seems a bit pointless to me.

Not all graphics settings are equal, and not all levels of a graphical setting are equal either. What do I mean? Going from SSAO off to SSAO on is a big improvement. Going from SSAO to HBAO, isn't. And then there are odd settings which tank the framerate but have almost no visual impact at all. Turning off Contact Hardening Shadows for example, in DXMD, takes me from mid 30s to mid 50s.
Then there's settings like texture quality and streaming which have no real impact on performance so long as you have enough vram but which have massive visual benefits.

Besides, 4K in itself is a HUGE graphical upgrade in fidelity over 1080/1440p so even if you have to go from ultra to medium in some aspects, it might still be worth it. Plus, it scales better with bigger sized displays, etc.

In short, there's a ton of reasons to game at 4K or near-about even with something as "weak" as an RX 480, let alone a mighty RTX 2070.

Personally, that's why I'm on the fence now. Resolution jumps are so massively impactful I'm eyeing 8K for next year or the one after. There's a good chance the next x080 ti card will be able to handle it more easily at >30 fps.

Soldato
Not all graphics settings are equal, and not all levels of a graphical setting are equal either. What do I mean? Going from SSAO off to SSAO on is a big improvement. Going from SSAO to HBAO, isn't. And then there are odd settings which tank the framerate but have almost no visual impact at all. Turning off Contact Hardening Shadows for example, in DXMD, takes me from mid 30s to mid 50s.
Then there's settings like texture quality and streaming which have no real impact on performance so long as you have enough vram but which have massive visual benefits.

Besides, 4K in itself is a HUGE graphical upgrade in fidelity over 1080/1440p so even if you have to go from ultra to medium in some aspects, it might still be worth it. Plus, it scales better with bigger sized displays, etc.

In short, there's a ton of reasons to game at 4K or near-about even with something as "weak" as an RX 480, let alone a mighty RTX 2070.

Personally, that's why I'm on the fence now. Resolution jumps are so massively impactful I'm eyeing 8K for next year or the one after. There's a good chance the next x080 ti card will be able to handle it more easily at >30 fps.

Yea I get by fine at 4k with a Vega 64 and Freesync. Would I like more power you bet I do but not at silly prices.

Caporegime
AIO liquid cooler like Fury x, boom , still less cost than a 2080ti and would smoosh it, but it wouldn't be XFIRE or mGPU it would act as a single card

Yeah as long as they go to Asetek for the cooler, that fury x cooler caused no end of problems with its high pitched whine noise. Says a lot that the 295x2 had an aio from Asetek and had no noise issues, then they go the cheap route with cooler master who got another third party to build the fury x aio. All this after bigging the fury x up as a "premium" card.

Soldato
Yeah as long as they go to Asetek for the cooler, that fury x cooler caused no end of problems with its high pitched whine noise. Says a lot that the 295x2 had an aio from Asetek and had no noise issues, then they go the cheap route with cooler master who got another third party to build the fury x aio. All this after bigging the fury x up as a "premium" card.
Yeah the fury-x .... I had 2 of them, no overclocking (marketed as overclockers dream) and still didn't beat the 980ti BUT that was the last time i can remember where the gap between the top tier GPUS was so close between AMD and NVIDIA's, since then the lead drifted further and further apart.
Thats why I stand by my opinion that even if its for 6 months AMD should be performance leaders, not for the sales of it, but it would change peoples midsets from AMD being the TKMAX, the LIDL, the bestbuy (if your usa) of GPUS and be taken seriously again, this would drive and increase sales of the lower models, i firmly believe, as people would switch to the winning team, that is all it takes for some shallow people.

"I get 120fps on PUBG on my 2080ti" - they would say, "what do you get?on your AMD, overheating nuclear reactor that uses 600watts lul, lol, roflmao, hahaha LMAO"

"Umm i get 200fps on my navi dual 5700xt"....

"oh", looks at 2080ti and realises they paid £1200 and it's not the best anymore ...

Associate
I can game at 4K/60 ultra in certain games on my 2070 but in some others I’d average around 30 and god knows what the minimums would be. Even a 2080ti won’t max out all games at 4K/60.

A 2080ti gets closer than anything gaming else though.
It did 60fps unwavering solid at total max settings Dragon Age Inquisition 4k for me, when my 1080ti dipped to 48fps.
SOTR high to max and high RayTracing (no DLSS) is very playable (haven't been able to track fps). Gladly in this game you can fiddle with all the settings as much as you like and the game doesn't complain.

Nice that you can enjoy 4k with a 2070 though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I watched them say that, they ran with it afterwards as well, but I bought one anyway...

Only time i ever seen it mentioned was Joe Macri saying it on stage after he was gong on about how over engineered the cooler was saying it was good for 500 watts. Reviews may have mentioned it but i don't remember amd ever saying it after that. It was always going to be a sticking point as fury x barely overclocked at all so reviewers constantly brought it up.

Soldato
Only time i ever seen it mentioned was Joe Macri saying it on stage after he was gong on about how over engineered the cooler was saying it was good for 500 watts. Reviews may have mentioned it but i don't remember amd ever saying it after that. It was always going to be a sticking point as fury x barely overclocked at all so reviewers constantly brought it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ-qKucpQu8

Associate
They needed to do that though as they are playing catch up. It isn't really by choice, as they -upto now- have been put of the efficiency sweet spot of their power envelope in order for their chips to compete with Nvidias. As you say I expect them to be pushing the boundaries again, but I am hoping since Vega II showed some good overhead that Navi will leave a little in the tank if prepared to mess around more.

Oh yeah absolutely, it wasn't a dig, just an observation.

Associate
HAHAHAHA :D

Nvidia has the shortest headroom of them all since Pascal, where barely can OC them for 70Mhz while all Pascal & Turing start throttling from 32C. (many current Nvidia cards cannot even push more than 60Mhz OC)
Making completely useless any attempt for watercooling to gain better clocks. At least with AMD, especially the Vega 64, going under water or with good cooler (Nitro) and downvolting, gives you plenty of headroom for overclocking of around 20% until you hit 80C. And thats 300Mhz, 5 times more OC than the Nvidia cards allow which doesn't fluctuate until you hit 80C, not 32C

FYI even the RX580 allows for almost 300Mhz overlock (20%), the only card that doesn't OC that well by only 100Mhz is the 590.
Compare this to ~3% can do (if that given the heavy throttling) from Pascal & Turing.

How AMD "has little headroom" for overlocking at 20% when Nvidia has 3%?

I never compared anything with Nvidia?!?

Back
Top Bottom