• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Why have 1 core maxed out when you can have 16 barely breaking a sweat. :p

It’s certainly better for efficiency.

1 core running at 90% draw far more power from the wall than 8 cores at 50%

This translates into temps as well - for my own 8700k - 1 core 100% can results in 90c over prolonged periods but 12 threads at 50% - that’s about 45c

Soldato
Am i the only one that while playing a game has music,discord, and chrome etc open on other monitors , All of which is where the extra cores help

Get outta here with that crazy sci-fi level computer usage! Everyone knows the only true gamer has a system like this still!

Dual core at most, single monitor, and at Most runs Ventrilo while gaming.

wSe6BmU.jpg

I'm very excited to see how the 3900X 12 core manages. Should be a fantastic upgrade over my 6 core.

Even now it has issues in games as old as GTA V. Been playing that recently, and maxed out ( MSAA x 4 for all incl reflections ) graphics, and advanced settings turned on, I get 45-57% GPU usage.
I remember reading that even back when it launched the game liked more Cores.

With consoles going AMD Zen2, and likely 8 core + HT; and Microsoft allowing their Game pass to bring console exclusives to PC; won't be long before 8 core seems the norm for decent performance.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I must be a weirdo.

If i'm playing a game, it has my full attention

I'm not running Chrome, or listening to music or streaming to Twitch or anything else.

Same when watching a film. Phone away, full attention.

Permabanned
Get outta here with that crazy sci-fi level computer usage! Everyone knows the only true gamer has a system like this still!

wSe6BmU.jpg

A CRT monitor is radioactive, no?
And why wouldn't you remove all unnecessary things from your desk? ;)

Associate

wSe6BmU.jpg

I'm very excited to see how the 3900X 12 core manages. Should be a fantastic upgrade over my 6 core.

Even now it has issues in games as old as GTA V. Been playing that recently, and maxed out ( MSAA x 4 for all incl reflections ) graphics, and advanced settings turned on, I get 45-57% GPU usage.
I remember reading that even back when it launched the game liked more Cores.

With consoles going AMD Zen2, and likely 8 core + HT; and Microsoft allowing their Game pass to bring console exclusives to PC; won't be long before 8 core seems the norm for decent performance.

Bloody hell, that brings some memories back. I had that case for my first self build.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I see some validity in this argument, but I wouldnt say games will require 8 cores, but more that will perhaps be considered the optimal level. Games wont be not playable if you e.g. have 4 cores on a PS5 port, it will just have a higher risk of performance issues. Also consoles reserve 1-2 cores for other tasks outside the game. So a 8 core console wont use 8 cores for a game. I have played PS4 ports that are single threaded on PC, ports dont necessarily translate to what seems obvious.

Also clock speeds will be lower on the consoles, I expect 500mhz-1ghz lower than desktop parts.

Yeah thats true, but if there are more cores at your disposal then developers will begin to use them. As @orbitalwalsh mentioned in an earlier post, it is likely that the full power of the system will only be utilized towards the end of the consoles lifespan

G J

G J

Associate
I must be a weirdo.

I'm not running Chrome, or listening to music or streaming to Twitch or anything else.

Same here and I have some apps in the background and my system is a 6600k and I wonder what people are doing to their systems whne they complain about their computers are sluggish and they feel the need for 6-8+ core systems. :confused:

Permabanned
:cool:

2jakowi.jpg

Soldato
AAA games are a good indicator of a serious gamer versus someone who's just in it for Candy Crush Saga...

It's not that they only matter, though if you want to field that strawman be my guest.

they are billions... aint a AAA title but has out sold/streamed and gained following better then most :)

Can run on anything bar the last wave which crushes anything

Soldato
I play a lot of MMORPG's and like most people who play them i have the following open at any given time

1. MMORPG (Currently old school EQ)
2. Chrome with multiple tabs (Allakazams for info, EQraid, EQItems, Guild Site, DKP Site, Reddit etc etc)
3. Discord
4. Steelseries Software for raid alerts
5. Gina for raid alerts

Simple fact is now, running a 8core CPU allows you to basically have a ton of stuff open and not hinder your performance in any way, when i used to do this on my 4770k i used to get all sorts of microstutter and issues in WoW / EQ / DAOC / TESO etc.

Most people that play these types of games have a whole heap of other stuff open at any point, especially Youtube watching strats or guides on things, its just how it is.

Soldato
A CRT monitor is radioactive, no?
And why wouldn't you remove all unnecessary things from your desk? ;)

It's only 3.61 roentgen. :p

Also at the time I was building a hella big custom water cooled system( project 0001 here on the forums ), and was always tinkering. That was in 2009.

Bloody hell, that brings some memories back. I had that case for my first self build.

I still have that case, and system inside of it! Athlon 64 3200+, 1GB RAM, 6600GT ( replaced the 4800Ti it had ). It's still alive and kicking as well.

Associate
I must be a weirdo.

I do agree however in some games lasting hours I will do other stuff while in game repairing a vehicle etc. If I'm unavoidably vulnerable in game and can't mitigate it I'm happy to alt-tab and check/do something else for a minute or two. Also I've never really had a PC that I felt could comfortably do anything complex while a game is running.

Back
Top Bottom